02 Volvo S40 coolant capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
While working on the Volvo S40, I drained the radiator and disconnected the lower radiator hose. I captured 6 qts of coolant. The published capacity of the system is 6 qts. Did I truly drain ALL the fluid? I always thought some was left in the system (e.g., engine block, heater core).

I've seen other Volvo's holding 9 quarts. Maybe check your data?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
I always thought some was left in the system (e.g., engine block, heater core).

Your right..... there's still some in the system. Just run that and drain the radiator again later this week when it warms up.

I sure hope so. I depend on the published data to refill it with the proper concentration after flushing.

Why are you flushing the system? Contamination with oil?

I haven't flushed a cooling system in 10+ years. We don't flush anything at our shop either; everything gets a drain and refill with the OEM spec coolant. Then again, I work on Asian makes. Not sure what Volvo specifies, but I would not bother with flushing unless it is part of the OEM service procedure for coolant replacement.

Probably because old habits die hard. When I started wrenching, cooling systems needed flushing.

For this task I'm replacing a leaky radiator.

Originally Posted by Kestas
While working on the Volvo S40, I drained the radiator and disconnected the lower radiator hose.

Would think there's still some coolant in the block.
I don't know what engine is in your particular S40, but some engines such as the 2.5 have a fairly obvious engine block drain on the exhaust side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back