02 TransAm LS1 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I don't drive my 2002 TransAm a whole lot anymore and my question is regarding switching oils.

For the last 2 years I've used Amsoil Euro 5w40 and changing it once per year (in the spring). I'm only putting about 500 to 1000 miles on the car per year. I live in Indiana so the car usually sits from late November to around March in unheated garage.

I'm thinking of changing to Pennzoil platinum due to off the shelf availability and price. That and the fact Amsoil is probably over kill for my application.

Several times during the summer I need to move the car out of the garage to free up some space for projects. So several times a year it gets start up but not driven and brought up to temperature.

Will pennzoil platinum hold up well under this condition? Also has anyone been running this oil in their LS1 engines?

Thanks for any input.

To solve the problem of not driving it a lot anymore, you could just give the car to me!
wink.gif

But anyways, given the amount of miles you put on it, I would think that Pennzoil Platinum should hold up just fine.

Either Pennzoil platinum or Quaker State Horsepower syn (cheap at Wal-Mart) will do. Both meet the GM Corvette/Caddy and deposit control specs...

Last edited:
I've been running Pennzoil Platinum in my LS1 Corvette, and the oil analysis results I've gotten have shown it to be a very good oil. But I also drive my car daily, I put about 150-200 miles a week on it, so my driving habits are quite a bit different than yours.

Originally Posted By: ws6guy
Will pennzoil platinum hold up well under this condition? Also has anyone been running this oil in their LS1 engines?

That's some seriously easy service. Any modern oil should hold up fine. I'd go a few years between oil changes if it were mine!

Guys I don't drive my 2002 TransAm a whole lot anymore and my question is regarding switching oils.

For the last 2 years I've used Amsoil Euro 5w40 and changing it once per year (in the spring). I'm only putting about 500 to 1000 miles on the car per year. I live in Indiana so the car usually sits from late November to around March in unheated garage.

I'm thinking of changing to Pennzoil platinum due to off the shelf availability and price. That and the fact Amsoil is probably over kill for my application.

Several times during the summer I need to move the car out of the garage to free up some space for projects. So several times a year it gets start up but not driven and brought up to temperature.

Thanks for any input.

save yourself the trip to the store and do yourself a favor and pull a oil sample once a year. The Amsoil will last 5 years the way you use it, why spend more money?
Why work more? if you have a PC account with AMSOIL you can get a smple kit for $18 and your oil sample will come back good for continued use year after year.
if you only drive a few miles a year and keep your car inside a garage your AMSOIL wont go bad sitting in the engine.
Just my opinion Im sure I will get blasted by many who know much better than me.
21.gif

Let no good deed done go unpunished
27.gif

hey pat. I've seen people on Ls1tech say that mobil 1 5w30 is too thin for the LS1. When looking at the PP 5w30 specs it looks to be just as thin. What's your thoughts?

Thanks

[/quote]
save yourself the trip to the store and do yourself a favor and pull a oil sample once a year. The Amsoil will last 5 years the way you use it, why spend more money?
Why work more? if you have a PC account with AMSOIL you can get a smple kit for $18 and your oil sample will come back good for continued use year after year.
if you only drive a few miles a year and keep your car inside a garage your AMSOIL wont go bad sitting in the engine.
Just my opinion Im sure I will get blasted by many who know much better than me.
21.gif

27.gif

[/quote]

I might pull sample sometime soon. I just have a hard time leaving oil in the engine that long. I guess it's hard breaking the habit of religiously changing oil.

Quote:
ws6guy
21.gif

27.gif

Quote:

I might pull sample sometime soon. I just have a hard time leaving oil in the engine that long. I guess it's hard breaking the habit of religiously changing oil.

yes it is hard and what makes it even harder is people who belittle you for doing things differently.
fact finding is a buisness not an emotional process, we aint women and we aint buying SHOES here!
We want the best for our cars and the easiest products to use.
I remember waiting for a oil sample I took for my diesel truck that had 5 years on the oil and 40,000 miles, I could not sleep and literally sweating thinking about it, wondering if it was going to be a bad sample.
I posted it here long ago the sample was excellent and I started to sleep again and I had a new found tool for my arsenal.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 0W40 and German Castrol 0W30 are great choices for LS1's. There was a UOA from a pickup with 10K miles over 5 years and it showed the oil was ready for a change. I'd change the oil every couple years and I'd suggest upping the mileage you drive per year.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Mobil 1 0W40 and German Castrol 0W30 are great choices for LS1's. There was a UOA from a pickup with 10K miles over 5 years and it showed the oil was ready for a change. I'd change the oil every couple years and I'd suggest upping the mileage you drive per year.

Trust me I want to drive it more but it just doesn't happen. Although I just put some new shocks and springs on it and it drive 100% better so maybe more miles will be in it's future.

Another question....what's the best way to extract the oil through the dipstick? Does any parts stores carry something like this. I see that blackstone labs has a pump for $30 but I'm not going to pay that much. I guess I could hook a tube to a syringe.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Quote:
ws6guy
21.gif

27.gif

Quote:

yes it is hard and what makes it even harder is people who belittle you for doing things differently.
fact finding is a buisness not an emotional process, we aint women and we aint buying SHOES here!
We want the best for our cars and the easiest products to use.
I remember waiting for a oil sample I took for my diesel truck that had 5 years on the oil and 40,000 miles, I could not sleep and literally sweating thinking about it, wondering if it was going to be a bad sample.
I posted it here long ago the sample was excellent and I started to sleep again and I had a new found tool for my arsenal.

I like Amsoil, don't get me wrong. However, lately, with your heightened Amsoil banter, you're rubbing me the wrong way. IF I was a dealer, I'd really want you to just quit it. Very propaganda like, especially other posts.

Cool off. We know you like Amsoil, we know it's a VERY high quality lube, but..it's not for everyone.

well if you think the amsoil is overkill then the platinum is overkill also... In my opinion you will be fully protected with the platinum that is great oil and so is the yb thats good oil too.. Go with a good oil and air filter and that engine will last a lifetime as long as it is not abused..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
well if you think the amsoil is overkill then the platinum is overkill also... In my opinion you will be fully protected with the platinum that is great oil and so is the yb thats good oil too.. Go with a good oil and air filter and that engine will last a lifetime as long as it is not abused..

Who said Amsoil is overkill? I'm tired..so maybe I'm just not seeing it.

hey pat. I've seen people on Ls1tech say that mobil 1 5w30 is too thin for the LS1. When looking at the PP 5w30 specs it looks to be just as thin. What's your thoughts?

A few years ago I used to believe that the LS1 needed a slightly thicker oil (something at the high end of the 30wt range such as GC) but after running PP 5w30 for a while and seeing how close the results were to the slightly thicker GC, I no longer believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back