02 sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My escape has 130,000 on the original 02 sensors. I have noticed the gas mileage drop off in the last month or so. It is not throwing any codes.I think i'm going to replace 02 sensors. Should i replace the upstream 02 sensors ( 2 of them) only or do all four ( 2 downstream)?

All of them have the same amount of wear/usage to be perfectly honest. Also, I see (by your autosignature) that you're using 5w-40 oil and even though it's synthetic, the 40 weight might contribute to your gas mileage not being as efficient as what it could be.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
All of them have the same amount of wear/usage to be perfectly honest. Also, I see (by your autosignature) that you're using 5w-40 oil and even though it's synthetic, the 40 weight might contribute to your gas mileage not being as efficient as what it could be.

Thanks, that was my thoughts on all four sensors as well. I actually have 0-30 in it for winter, i run 5-40 in the summer. I have checked fuel mileage with 5w 20 5w 30 and 5w 40 oil, no fuel mileage difference in any of the oils with this 3.0 v-6 engine.

Go upstream. Save the downstream ones for when you get a code (if then), they have nothing to do with the fuel mix.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Go upstream. Save the downstream ones for when you get a code (if then), they have nothing to do with the fuel mix.

I did not know the downstreams did'nt affect mixture!!! I just might replace the upsteams then and see if the mileage comes back up! What do the downstream sensors do? monitor if the cats are working?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I did not know the downstreams did'nt affect mixture!!! I just might replace the upsteams then and see if the mileage comes back up! What do the downstream sensors do? monitor if the cats are working?

that's exactly what they do.

Thanks guys!! you saved me some time and cash! i found denso sensors on sale at sparkplugs.com for $34.00 each!!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Thanks guys!! you saved me some time and cash! i found denso sensors on sale at sparkplugs.com for $34.00 each!!

Try RockAuto. They have Denso part #2344045 (left) & 2344046 (right) for front upstream for $29.89 & $30.79. I just replaced the front upstreams on myy wife's tribute(Same parts) and it made a world of difference. Also remember to search for RockAuto's 5% discount code before ordering. Paste the discount code in the section "how dio you hear about us" on the checkout page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back