02 Honda S2000- Amsoil 5w40 - 5000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks guys, yeah we have about 10% ethanol in most fuels up here, I also run Shell V Power which I thought was Ethanol free, but I'm not too sure about that. I will definitely run some Stabil, thanks.

Doug, 5w40 oils that have to meet the current specs all drop a bit to the upper 30 grade area. Oils like Redline that don't use any VM's are more shear stable. Redline would also have worse fuel economy due to it's shear stability. It's a tradeoff.

Hi,
buster - You may be aware that I know a little about this topic - but they ALL don't drop a grade let me tell you!!!

My question was a "tongue in cheek" reference to Pablo - and it concerns his references to a certain 0W-40 lubricant that he believes ALWAYS "shears" - whatever that is meant to project!

And people "tippie toed" around this viscosity drop in this Thread!

It is but one reason why I virtually never comment on single pass "simple" UOAs on BITOG

Gotcha. Yeah I don't know why so many people get worked up over it. It's a common characteristic of fully licensed 0w5w-40 PCMO's in some engines. No big deal really.

5w40's that don't shear are the DEO, Delvac, Rotella etc.

Doug - search out all the M1 0W-40 threads that had a viscosity drop. How many did I comment in?

And the one thread that seemed to make you go ape poop, read what I wrote.

Same here. Amsoil AFL 5W-40 almost always shears. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Hi,
buster - No attempt to highjack this Thread of course - but in many millions of kms I have never seen Delvac 1 lose or gain viscosity

Amsoil's extensive reformulation programme of several years ago ended their thickening (significant increases in viscosity in many applications) issues. These never led to any engine duarbility problems that I am aware of. However losing a little viscosity is much better than gaining it due to oxidation ete as this can have an effect on operating efficiency in modern engines

Amsoil's range of products now seem to be durable in the viscosity area

Pablo - Thanks for your lovely comments! As you know I always think it's fair that people can back up their statements. In the case of M1 0W-40 you can't. Many UOAs on here show good viscosity retention - and within range. Just drop the word ALL and I'll sleep with the Lions (I'm a Leo) even if in your eyes it should be with the Apes. Love ya Pabs!!!!

Last edited:
Doug - last time you challenged me for "proof", I posted OVER ten links to UOA's that showed significant viscosity drop in M1 0W-40. That made you strangely silent. I'm not wasting my time again.

BTW I'm a Leo as well.

Your hijacking of this thread is pretty entertaining so I'm not complaining.

Hi,
Pablo - Sorry I wrote ALL - it should have been ALLWAYS. Well perhaps us Leos should share the forest together. There are a few around who can't see the wood for the trees...............

I wasn't concerned with the viscosity issue here because my engine specs 10w30 or 5w40, so if it ended up being a 30 weight, no biggie. Plus every sample I've sent to CAT labs has alwaysm come back with viscosity numbers that were a good bit below the numbers you find on manufacturer spec sheets. I think it's partly the lab and the fact that Amsoil 5w40 is known to shear. This engine is also known for shearing a number of different oil brands/weights.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
I wasn't concerned with the viscosity issue here because my engine specs 10w30 or 5w40, so if it ended up being a 30 weight, no biggie. Plus every sample I've sent to CAT labs has alwaysm come back with viscosity numbers that were a good bit below the numbers you find on manufacturer spec sheets. I think it's partly the lab and the fact that Amsoil 5w40 is known to shear. This engine is also known for shearing a number of different oil brands/weights.

Yeah it sheared...so what? Oxidation and Nitration are low and the engine is alive...

JSRT4, that comment is directed more at previous statements. Can you get Toromont to run a TBN next time around? There is nothing wrong with the 5w-40, you could if you wanted continue running it. A few of my clients running K20s are enjoying the switch from 5w-40s to SSO 0w-30 though
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
buster - No attempt to highjack this Thread of course - but in many millions of kms I have never seen Delvac 1 lose or gain viscosity

Amsoil's extensive reformulation programme of several years ago ended their thickening (significant increases in viscosity in many applications) issues. These never led to any engine duarbility problems that I am aware of. However losing a little viscosity is much better than gaining it due to oxidation ete as this can have an effect on operating efficiency in modern engines

Amsoil's range of products now seem to be durable in the viscosity area

It wasn't just Amsoil that went through that evolution/revolution, Doug. It was Mobil's too. Mobil didn't have a one year oil for decades until the EP line was introduced. They abandoned that decades ago ..or at least added enough disclaimers and qualifications that made it "iffy" on a broad consumer level. EP was the first Mobil product in a very long time to go outside of OEM recommendations.

I'm sure the two product evolutions are somewhat married to each other one some fundamental level. Something refining/blending/process evolved ..and both took advantage of it.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Originally Posted By: JSRT4

Yeah it sheared...so what? Oxidation and Nitration are low and the engine is alive...

JSRT4, that comment is directed more at previous statements. Can you get Toromont to run a TBN next time around? There is nothing wrong with the 5w-40, you could if you wanted continue running it. A few of my clients running K20s are enjoying the switch from 5w-40s to SSO 0w-30 though
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply on this. If I recall Toromont requires me to send them a virgin sample of oil in order for them to calculate TBN and that costs a few more bucks. I never ask for the info as I don't put more than 5k miles on this car a year and I know the oil is still plenty strong at the end of the driving season TBN wise.

Thanks for the tip on 0w30. I'm going to run a 30 weight Amsoil fluid next and see how it compares next season. I'll likely be using their 5w30, it seems to have a better viscosity number and NOACK number from what I can see. SSO does sound like a great oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back