02 grizzly carb issue

I have a grizzly that sat for about 4 years. The Carb was all gunked up and it would not run when i got around to running it. I pulled the carb out, cleaned everything up and reassembled it. Now the ATV starts right up and mostly runs fine but we have a new issue. If you go sideways on a slant, it will shut off. You can stand on it, shake it back and fourth and it will also shut off at idle. Its seems to idle fine and for the most part idle fine. If you hold the throttle down, it does not shut off. Only when idle and on a slant or shaking back and fourth.

I took the carb back off and double checked the float level thinking this is what it was and it was correct. I cleaned everything up again and reassembled with the same issue.

I took it apart again and adjusted the float up a little thinking maybe it was just a touch low and still have the same issue.

Anybody have any ideas to what may be causing this?

Did you replace the float bowl gasket? Sometimes those are just a bit large with respect to the width dimension and can cause the float to hang up on the bit of excess overlapping inside the bowl. On my motorcycle carburetors, the float is not perfectly stationary on the pin it rotates on, it has a tiny bit of left-right play. Possibly the side play allows it to hang up on the gasket at an angle? However you would think it would do the same thing if the carburetor is jostled around in regular riding with undulations in terrain.

Also does it shut off right away on a slant/when shaken at idle or does it run for a bit then die? If the carburetor had an issue, possibly something with the fuel system getting proper flow from the tank?

Did you have the carb up side down to set float? If so the fuel level is too high. Have the carb at an angle where the float just touches the needle of the needle and seat assy. Other wise just re-check all the seals and jet holders for proper seating.
I've done many hundreds of carbs on Japanese bikes and attention to detail is your friend.
Good luck
Smoky

Thank you guys for the info. I took it out this last weekend for about 4 hrs to really evaluate it. Runs about perfect under any throttle but idling down hill or on slant, wants to die and sometimes will stall.

I will pull it back apart this weekend and adjust very carefully. as well as check everything over again.

thanks guys.

Well i took everything back apart today and solved the problem. When working the choke back and forth, i could tell it wasn't smooth but seemed to be working. I took the choke cable off the carburetor and it was full of debris. I cleaned it up well and lubed it with a thin coat of oil. Smooth operation now. Now it runs perfect. Must not have been sealing when closed causing it to run rich.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Back