02 GMC 5.3L Engine knock at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about an engine knock/ticking noise that I have comming from the engine of my 02 GMC Sierra (5.3L). This knocking sound only happens at startup when the vehicle has been sitting for a while such as over night. The sound only last for about 2 minutes and then goes away and does not come back unless the vehicle sits for longer than 5 to 6 hours between driving it. Also the knocking noise seems to be more noticible and has a longer duration in when it is colder outside.

I have only owned this vehicle for a year and it only has 100k miles on it and I planning on having this vehicle for a long time. I wanted to find out if this noise is common for this motor or if this could be the sign of a more serious issue. Could it be from the oil not pumping up into the engine fast enough? I have been using the recommended 5W-30 grade for this motor.

Any helpful insight into what may be causing this issue would be appreciated.

What filter are you using? Sounds like either the anti-drainback valve isn't doing it's job, or this is just normal for the engine family.

Right now I have the Bosch filter on it but I have used ACDelco and Fram filters on it in the past and have had the same issues. I have a new M1 filter to put on it for the next OCI.

Check the TSB's on this model and engine and I think you will find the problem you describe is common and is piston slap. I would use the recommended AC/Delco oil filter. They have a anti drain back valve that may help.

I think I found the TSB refering to this issue.

Engine - Knocking on Cold Start Explanation

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 01-06-01-028A

Date: March, 2003

INFORMATION

Subject:
Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models:
1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models
2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)
with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINS V, T, Z, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional engine to the models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-028 (Section 06-Engine).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000 km (12,000-15,000 mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30 seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.

This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine.

THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.

Important: At this time, attempts to repair this condition by replacing the engine assembly or pistons are not recommended.

Please share the information found in this bulletin with customers who inquire about this condition. In the event they have additional questions or concerns, please advise your Area Service Manager.

It does state that this issue does not cause any problems. Do you think it is safe to say I can still get 200k+ miles out of this truck? That is my real concern and I would also like to know if anybody else out there has seen this and had it not affect the life of the motor.

I've had piston slap since almost new. 116k extremely hard driven miles with only maybe a slight increase in the noise for the first minute after cold start. Engine runs great with no power loss or increase in oil consumption over the past 10 years.

This is on a 5.7 LS1 2000 which is very similiar in design.

My '03 5.3L does it too.

I have 162,000 miles and it's running great!

Well,

I don't want to throw a scare into you, but my 5.3 '03 Silverado w/ 151,000 miles just broke a roller lifter. This caused a major loss of oil pressure and the block is junk. I am searching for a reman. Talked to several techs and all reported to me this is very rare and the 5.3 is generally bulletproof. Usually good for 200 K miles most of the time.This failure was precluded by a rattling sound similar to your description. I hope yours is just piston slap.

I've minimized the piston slap on a 2000 Sierra 5.3 by using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and a Wix oil filter.

My 2004 is doing OK so far.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like this is a fairly common thing with these trucks. I may try using a 10W-30 oil on the next OCI to see if that helps quite the noise. Other than that my truck runs great with no other issues so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back