02 Acura Trans spin-on filter opened

Status
Not open for further replies.
After owning my 02 TL since new.... much to my surprise, I just recently discovered there is a spin-on trans filter that is fairly easily accessible and serviceable

A quick delivery from Amazon prime ..and ready to go.

I have no recollection of this filter being service by the dealer, as I handle all general maintenance, no one else has stuck their fingers under the hood
wink.gif

The only opportunity to have this filter changed, is when Acura/Honda did the major recall on their trans in 2005.?? [I'd have to check my logs]

I was expecting to see a rather gunky, sludge filled filter, reason being , I did a D&F at the same time, and the plug magnet was fairly covered in sludge [ sorry -no pic ]
I do a yearly 1x D&F

Surprisingly to me... it wasnt... the large particle i attribute to me cutting the filter open, the paper look saturated in filtrate, but i expected more..

For your perusal...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers
J.

Why thank-you..!!! I am happy i was able to impress... XD

As for the [close to] biblical flooding.. at my age , I would hinder, more than I would help.. But thanks for your heart warming concern...
wink.gif

Its supposed to be one of those lifetime filters! I did my 2002 TL-S when it was flaring a little when cold. It still flared after changing it, I then did a 3+3 drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife and it fixed it right up, been shifting and operating fine ever since.

I have a spin on trans filter on the Subaru also, replaced it at 82k, same lifetime, uneventful, only they put it in a place not meant to service easily, saw it when I had the front bumper off. So, I replaced it then.

That looks like the in-line filter on my Odyssey except yours appears shorter and wider.

I've changed mine out every 30k miles or so and have cut a couple open-- Nothing unusual spotted that concerned me. I think they cost a good $10 or more, reminds me I need to do it soon.

My cousin lives in Chesterville (not far from Ottawa) and she is making a killing with all the overtime she is putting in. She works for a restoration company that deals with these types of damage. She's exhausted though.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back