‘02 4 Runner Rear Diff

I'm sure that when he grinded the old cover off or cut it off since it's a part of the diff assembly that it got metal. In it . On the 3rd gen forum it's quite common

Was it good oil? maybe your mechanic kept it for his own ride. My 2020 Tacoma was 1/2 quart low from the factory.

I put Amsoil in the front/rear diffs at 5000 miles.
Yes, Amsoil Severe Gear

I'm sure that when he grinded the old cover off or cut it off since it's a part of the diff assembly that it got metal. In it . On the 3rd gen forum it's quite common
But the fluid is black as tar?? I guess it got really hot?

It was contaminated with metal . Im not an engineer or there to view repair but on the 3rd gen forum I'm on it's happened more than once

Also welding right where the 3rd member is it could have got hot and cooked the fluid .again I wasn't there for repairs

The saddest part is they are the easiest 3rd member to remove from housing ! Drop driveshaft . Remove axles and remove 3rd member . It's only 30 bolts tops !

But the fluid is black as tar?? I guess it got really hot?
Your not going to turn gear oil black in less than 2 years. They ripped you off.

send a sample to amsoil, and they will tell you if its theirs.

Well, it's complicated but my mechanic (not the welder) said he would make things right. We went for a drive yesterday and he said
it is probably one of the several bearings that went bad due to lack of fluid. He said there was no leak and the wheel bearings are good.

He said he didn't check behind the welder to make sure the diff was full. He thought he gave him all the gear oil I gave him but he cannot
be sure.

Bottom line, he said I brought my car to him and it was up to him to make sure everything was right. He said he made
a mistake. I'm not gonna let him absorb all of the repair. He's been too good to me up to this point.

I did not save a sample. I wish I had. He said it was cooked like my Amsoil dealer did.

Well, it's complicated but my mechanic (not the welder) said he would make things right. We went for a drive yesterday and he said
it is probably one of the several bearings that went bad due to lack of fluid. He said there was no leak and the wheel bearings are good.

He said he didn't check behind the welder to make sure the diff was full. He thought he gave him all the gear oil I gave him but he cannot
be sure.

Bottom line, he said I brought my car to him and it was up to him to make sure everything was right. He said he made
a mistake. I'm not gonna let him absorb all of the repair. He's been too good to me up to this point.

I did not save a sample. I wish I had. He said it was cooked like my Amsoil dealer did.
Sounds like you have a helluva mechanic !

FYI -- 4.10 ratio open diff 3rd members from 96-02 4Runner are a dime a dozen. You should be able to pick up a good used one for cheap. I sold the one out of my own 4Runner 5 years ago (also a 4.10) with ~200k miles and in great shape for $200.

I serviced mine with Valvoline 76 - 90. Very easy job on 4runner. Currently 200,000 miles on a 2005 runner.

Back