0% Balance Transfer - Story to Make You Cringe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Just be careful of what you read about studies and applying that to everyone. A certain percentage of people will spend more with a credit card than paying cash. Doesn't mean everyone though.
Nothing applies to everyone. The vast majority will spend more. Many of those will spend significantly more while touting their cash back check for $300 they got last year. I know most people don't think natural human tendencies could ever apply to them, but they usually do. The cash back is so low it only takes one misstep every month or so to put you upside down. None of this really matters to a financially stable person. A little overspending isn't a big deal.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: CKN

Just keep tuning in to that guy who says you don't need a FICO to buy anything...even a house.

I bought a house last year with no credit score - literally when they pulled it up I didn't have enough credit history to determine a score.

What kind of financial institution gave you the loan? At what interest rate was it? What other factors did they use to determine you were credit worthy? How much money did you put down? How much was the total purchase?

Did you have a "co-signer"?

You left many things unsaid.

Last edited:
I have done OK with credit card rewards, but my wife still struggles..."which card do I use for gas again?"

I also tried getting sign-up bonuses on checking accounts, and have a set of open accounts now that are paying $50/mo to each of us(for 6 months) for having an average of $200 in each account and making 10 debit purchase monthly. It's OK money if you are careful to jump through the right hoops but frankly it wears me out and it's just simpler to keep everything in 1 or 2 accounts.

Even on the credit card front I'm in the process of culling the herd and getting rid of cards that don't offer me enough benefit....goodbye Barclays Frontier Airlines card, I can never get good deals on Frontier so there's no point in keeping it. Goodbye Citi Retail Shell Oil card, I got the sign-up bonus and can get 5 cents off per gallon via other methods, not worth carrying another card. Even the AMEX Hilton Honors card is on the chopping block...we just don't stay in Hilton brand hotels enough to bother.

I have gained a lot of self-control with financial matters that I didn't have when I was young and I watch one of my kids struggle with financial management...she spends money like a drunken sailor (apologies to sailors) and can't save a nickel. She maxed-out her first credit card in 6 hours and has been making minimum payments ever since.

So if you have a history of paying your bills on time for the last 10 years, but are paycheck to paycheck, you're a better credit risk than someone who has a million, but no history. Also banks used automated underwriting systems, so if your file meets their criteria, it's approved. They can also resell those loans that meet that criteria.

And we all saw just how well that all worked out back in 2008. Paper will never substitute cash. Never has, and never will. That is the problem today. If people can't borrow it, they can't buy it. And I'm not talking just houses either. Most of these clowns can't pull into a gas station and fill their tanks without some kind of credit.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-a...ster-2017-01-12

This is a fact that can't be done away with by a, "good credit score". If a person has cash to back up a loan, it's called collateral. A word that has been lost in todays world of, "creative financing". That has proven to create nothing but problems. And it's worth a lot more than some silly nebulous number printed on a piece of paper. Today people have no money, pure and simple. Most can't even come up with 5% down to buy a home after all the loan fees are paid, and they move in. If the home drops 6% in value, they're wiped out and can't sell for what they owe. And don't forget the 6% commission that comes off the sale price.

We have gotten away from 20% down payments, because idiots today can't save money. And because of it we now have just as volatile of a housing market as we did back before the crash. These banks didn't learn a thing. They just got more comfortable walking on thin ice. Same with the idiots doing the borrowing. They have no more, "skin in the game", now then they did back then.

If people put as much effort into saving money, as they do getting a few bucks back on some silly credit card juggling scam, we wouldn't have these issues. As I said, this has all been built on the bigger idiot theory. The people doing the lending are as or more foolish as those borrowing it. That was a recipe for disaster 10 years ago. And nothing has changed because the people involved are all just as broke now as they were then.

Originally Posted By: billt460
So if you have a history of paying your bills on time for the last 10 years, but are paycheck to paycheck, you're a better credit risk than someone who has a million, but no history. Also banks used automated underwriting systems, so if your file meets their criteria, it's approved. They can also resell those loans that meet that criteria.

And we all saw just how well that all worked out back in 2008. Paper will never substitute cash. Never has, and never will. That is the problem today. If people can't borrow it, they can't buy it. And I'm not talking just houses either. Most of these clowns can't pull into a gas station and fill their tanks without some kind of credit.

This is a fact that can't be done away with by a, "good credit score". If a person has cash to back up a loan, it's called collateral. A word that has been lost in todays world of, "creative financing". That has proven to create nothing but problems. And it's worth a lot more than some silly nebulous number printed on a piece of paper. Today people have no money, pure and simple. Most can't even come up with 5% down to buy a home after all the loan fees are paid, and they move in. If the home drops 6% in value, they're wiped out and can't sell for what they owe. And don't forget the 6% commission that comes off the sale price.

We have gotten away from 20% down payments, because idiots today can't save money. And because of it we now have just as volatile of a housing market as we did back before the crash. These banks didn't learn a thing. They just got more comfortable walking on thin ice. Same with the idiots doing the borrowing. They have no more, "skin in the game", now then they did back then.

If people put as much effort into saving money, as they do getting a few bucks back on some silly credit card juggling scam, we wouldn't have these issues. As I said, this has all been built on the bigger idiot theory. The people doing the lending are as or more foolish as those borrowing it. That was a recipe for disaster 10 years ago. And nothing has changed because the people involved are all just as broke now as they were then.

Your post and what I'm about to post is all "re-hash" when ever a topic goes this way. But here it goes-any body with any intelligence at all knows that many aspects of credit (as you stated) dont make sense. However-with that being said it(credit) is a game. If you choose to participate in it-then you play to your advantage-not the banks. Therefore you can receive 100's of dollars a year in rebates, cash back, points, etc., and if you pay off the cards every month-then collect the rewards "you win".

It's really very simple.

Last edited:
[/quote]It's been proven that you spend more with a credit card than you do with cash. [/quote]

I don't. Same ol' monthly necessities go to the CC and get paid off every month. Both of my cards have made 0% interest off of me this year and last. In 2016, I think it was less than $15.

im having a hard time to believe there is no fee balance transfer out there these days. I have FICO over 800 and the lowest they can give to me is 2% fee for balance transfer on CC; however, I am interested in cash transfer option only to my checking account and I've never had balance transfers from one loan to another line of credit for example

Originally Posted By: miden851
im having a hard time to believe there is no fee balance transfer out there these days. I have FICO over 800 and the lowest they can give to me is 2% fee for balance transfer on CC; however, I am interested in cash transfer option only to my checking account and I've never had balance transfers from one loan to another line of credit for example

Yes-they are out there........

It's a nice rant, but I sold a bunch of houses back in 2008 also and the difference now is that most people have the down payment. Sure FHA is still popular with a 3.5% down payment, but most of my clients typically have 20% or more. Some have cash too, but prefer the mortgage. Back, then there was subprime and option ARMS, all those are basically gone, it was really the subprime market that dragged down the rest of the market.

Basically you refer back to the old days when it was up to the bank manager to size someone up. Now it's just statistics and the probability that a certain percentage will default and bundling up a mix of them to spread the risk around. Don't see any coming banking crisis and the tendency not to loan money on new construction means that there's still more demand than supply. It's always been about supply and demand. Sales aren't anywhere near what they were back before the bubble burst. There's about 325 million people in the US. Sales for 2018 will probably be in the 5.5 million. So that works out to about 1.7% of the population. You can rant and rave about the majority, but it's a very small percentage that's actually buying homes.

Originally Posted By: miden851

Yeah, I guess they're out there for 12 months balance transfers. Just search for them.

Basically you refer back to the old days...... I sold a bunch of houses back in 2008 also and the difference now is that most people have the down payment. Sure FHA is still popular with a 3.5% down payment, but most of my clients typically have 20% or more.

https://thelendersnetwork.com/average-down-payment-on-a-house/

"Gone are the days of needing to have at least a 20% down payment to get approved for a mortgage. The last data pulled from 2016 shows that the average down payment on a house was about $14,000, or 6% of the purchase price."

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mortgages/20-percent-mortgage-down-payment-dead/

"But the fact is, the 20% down payment is all but dead, and has been for quite some time. 54% of all buyers made down payments of less than 20% over at least the past five years, according to the National Association of Realtors".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wher...m=.65b0abdc4cde

"Underwriting requirements to qualify for a loan have eased. I have also recently seen an increase in advertisements from lenders pitching creative loan programs, such as zero down."

As I said, they haven't learned a thing.

People are trying to buy a house before they are priced out of the market.

A $400K house will be $500K in a short time and they end up house poor...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

And just like last time, when it ends they'll wind up with no house. As is often said, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Rent has not gone done over the years either. At least with a mortgage you lock in a payment for years to come whereas rent will generally rise with time. Go figure, increase the population, increase the demand, and housing gets more expensive.

And just like last time, when it ends they'll wind up with no house. As is often said, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Only if they bought out of their league. Someone could buy with 5% down and pay off a huge amount in quick time--think of just scraping enough together so as to get out of renting while buying only enough house that they need. One could buy with 5% down and making sure that they can survive an economic downturn.

You're generalizing and assuming that everyone is abusing the system.

Originally Posted By: supton
.... You're generalizing and assuming that everyone is abusing the system.

If you're putting 3% to 6% down on a $200,000.00+ home, you ARE abusing the system, and "buying out of your league". (The mean housing price in the U.S. currently is $188,900.00). It financially weakens the structure of the entire housing market for everyone. You cannot create wealth with borrowed money and paper. Wealth either exists in a real estate market, or it doesn't. And selling price doesn't determine it. Equity does. There is no getting around any of this.

You saw the result last time when the entire housing market collapsed on itself, because it lacked any real wealth to support it. We are heading right back to the same place in the exact same way. Over borrowing with little to nothing down. This is a fact, not assumption.

.... You're generalizing and assuming that everyone is abusing the system.

If you're putting 3% to 6% down on a $200,000.00 home, you ARE abusing the system. (The mean housing price in the U.S. is $188,900.00). It financially weakens the structure of the entire housing market for everyone. You cannot create wealth with borrowed money and paper. Wealth either exists in a real estate market, or it doesn't.

You saw the result last time when the entire housing market collapsed on itself, because it lacked any real wealth to support it. We are heading right back to the same place in the exact same way. Over borrowing with little to nothing down. This is a fact, not assumption.

Guess I'm a bad person. I put down 5% in 2005 and have 5 years left on my mortgage today. It was more than rent then but now not that far from what rent would be. Hence the gamble.

Are you playing off the notion that as credit becomes easier to obtain then that drives demand up and thus drives price up? I can see that rational. Problem is... theory is great but in the end any given individual has to find a place to live. You can reject the system but how? by living in a van down by the river?

That's exactly what people were saying last time. It caused them to make very poor decisions.

Are you playing off the notion that as credit becomes easier to obtain then that drives demand up and thus drives price up? I can see that rational. Problem is... theory is great but in the end any given individual has to find a place to live. You can reject the system but how? by living in a van down by the river?

Stop being so overly dramatic. Rent an apartment and stop buying things, until you have saved up a sufficient down payment of 20%. If you can't come up with 20% down to purchase a single family home, then buy a small condo until you can. That is the way the real estate market used to always operate. We got away from that, and started loaning larger and larger amounts, coupled to smaller and smaller down payments.

The result was a housing market that was full of paper and borrowed money. It had no real wealth, and it crashed as a direct result. It doesn't matter if I have my house paid off, or you do. Or your sisters cousin's friend does. Because for every one of us, there are literally hundreds of thousands across the country, who are under water with loans they can't pay back. And they owe more than they can get by liquidating through sale. This weakens the entire housing market for everyone. 5 year ARM balloon payment loans only serve to make matters worse. It all becomes a solid cornerstone on which to build a total financial disaster.

This is not a big mystery. It is what sank the Stock Market in 1929. 5% down margin buying. Guess what happened? The market crashed more than 5% before these idiots could sell off their positions. The entire market then came crashing down around itself. Does that that sound familiar? It should, because the 2008 housing crash happened the exact same way.

The difference is the Stock Market learned from it's mistakes. You cannot buy on 5% margin any longer unless you have proven collateral to back up the trade. The housing market learned nothing. Banks and lending institutions are going right back to the same lending principals that sunk them the first time around.

The fact is people lack the wealth required to own a home today, when compared to 40 years ago. And the housing market is far less stable because of it. So banks are trying every trick in the book to make it look like they can afford it. They can't. Because again, borrowed money and paper will not substitute for actual wealth.... And you're not "bad"..... Just lucky.

Fair enough--but--why rent when you can buy? As in, if you can get the costs similar, why wouldn't you buy? I mean, you can argue that the system is broke. Fine, I might agree with you. But that is a general observation. From an individual observation, if I can game the system why wouldn't I?

Aren't condos more expensive than houses? I've never serious shopped one. I clicked on an ad for one the other day, and it was cheaper than similar houses, but then I saw that they wanted $3,500 up front and $700 per month for HOA, and that was unrelated of the condo cost. Wasn't interested but I thought those were steep costs.

Fair enough--but--why rent when you can buy? As in, if you can get the costs similar, why wouldn't you buy? I mean, you can argue that the system is broke. Fine, I might agree with you. But that is a general observation. From an individual observation, if I can game the system why wouldn't I?

It's not a question of cost. It's a question of what you can afford. Both now, as well as in the future. Sure, you can "game the system", as you put it. But it's very risky. Then, too many people start doing it and you end up with a crashed market full of paper. Your home shouldn't be something you can risk losing. Yet today most people are in that very position. Also, because you can, "game the system", it encourages people to become real estate speculators, not simple home buyers.

Because the borrowed money comes so easily, they go out and purchase far more home than they actually require. Hoping for a big payday, because they think equity will accumulate much faster. It just might. But again look at what happened the last time. They just lost more faster. They didn't care because they simply walked away. The people next door to me bought at the height of the bubble. They paid $260,000.00. They put 2% down. The market crashed. Their mortgage ballooned after 5 years of interest only payments. They then walked away, and left the bank holding the bag.

The bank ended up selling the house at auction for $75,000.00. (They decided to trash the house before they left). This kind of nonsense went on all over the country, and in the process destroyed the entire housing market for everyone. And now it's all building back up to the same crescendo. Because nothing has changed. Same low down payments. Same over paying. Same over borrowing. All creating the same over inflated housing market. With the same people saying, "Why not, let's game the system while the gittin' is good". So it only stands to reason the same thing is going to happen. It's only a question of when, not if.

It becomes nothing but a big game of musical chairs. When the music stops, you better have a place to sit down, or you're out of the game. Most won't have. Unless something changes in the interim, the whole cycle will repeat itself. Then it's back to the apartment...... Or as you put it, back to the van on the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back