VR1 conventional. Good as synthetic?

Around 3:10 minute mark, LSJ mentions that this lube "doesn't belong in any daily driver, any type of direct injection engine ..." and yet seconds later he then states the lube additive package has "changed because of the API SP and making the oils compatible with direct injection engines ..."

Further, I'll note that VR1 isn't even licensed for API SP; I don't know where he gets off even mentioning SP:
These VR1 oils are all only licensed to SN and lower.

So if the point of VR1 isn't about using it in a DD or any DI engine, then why even bring up the compliance and compatibility of VR1 with SP?

To be fair, he does mention that generally this oil is for racing engines; OK, fine.
But it's just plain silly IMO to be mentioning DI engines and API SP as if those were significant criteria in this formulation. So why does he keep mentioning it?

The Valvoline product sheet even states this: "VR1 .... is not recommended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters ..."

So VR1 is basically a racing pedigree oil, and it's not intended for modern street vehicles. And yet he claims that the add pack was updated for SP concerns, even though it's actually only SN licensed ...

The more I watch his videos, the more I realize he just talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's educated and seems reasonably smart, but his YT content is just junk and doesn't fare well when you really dig into his statements. He's the more polished version of PF ... just another clickbait channel.
He cross posts on 3 different channels peddling his wares. Not going to publicize any further, but agree on all points. He is essentially a salesman in sheep clothing.

I'll have to tell my cam guy to stop sending me break-in lube with a new cam and tappets. Man They must be stupid.

Zinc blended at the refinery? Wow, I never stop learning stuff here.
Got me there, my bad.

Is motor oil blended at the refinery? 🤯
Sometimes …

IMG_2126.jpg

Break-in oil and other oils with zinc blended with the oil during production is not the same as a separate zinc additive. Smart ass.

Got me there, my bad.
What additive?

What's the issue? ZDP and some Ca sulfonate EP surface competition? Too much FM in ILSAC lubes? ZDP plays well with other in the playground.

Would prefer a blend of warmed quality ND SAE 30 SA and 10W30 Farm and Fleet with the BIL to knock the FM % down. but latest cars have been near stock rebuilds w/moly rings and just grab "whatever" near current or current 10W30 stocked in the shop. It's outta there after a couple hours runtime.

Complete your thought, what are you trying to say? Specific products to avoid and why?

I don't know who you are or what your experience level is.

Last edited:
Around 3:10 minute mark, LSJ mentions that this lube "doesn't belong in any daily driver, any type of direct injection engine ..." and yet seconds later he then states the lube additive package has "changed because of the API SP and making the oils compatible with direct injection engines ..."

Further, I'll note that VR1 isn't even licensed for API SP; I don't know where he gets off even mentioning SP:
These VR1 oils are all only licensed to SN and lower.

So if the point of VR1 isn't about using it in a DD or any DI engine, then why even bring up the compliance and compatibility of VR1 with SP?

To be fair, he does mention that generally this oil is for racing engines; OK, fine.
But it's just plain silly IMO to be mentioning DI engines and API SP as if those were significant criteria in this formulation. So why does he keep mentioning it?

The Valvoline product sheet even states this: "VR1 .... is not recommended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters ..."

So VR1 is basically a racing pedigree oil, and it's not intended for modern street vehicles. And yet he claims that the add pack was updated for SP concerns, even though it's actually only SN licensed ...

The more I watch his videos, the more I realize he just talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's educated and seems reasonably smart, but his YT content is just junk and doesn't fare well when you really dig into his statements. He's the more polished version of PF ... just another clickbait channel.
From what my limited knowledge can gather, he was noting the lower levels of calcium in the oil, in contrast to the older formulation. The lower level corresponds with the SP limitation on calcium. I am sure there is more too it than that, but I think that is why he brought up SP.

FWIW VR1 20w50 in my Mazda rotary gives me the lowest wear numbers, especially for bearing metal that I’ve ever seen, in my own engines as well as others. I am using it now forever in this application most likely. Spare me the input about how you can’t judge oil by UOA.

Also, dnewton, you might want to rewatch the video. I think you haven’t liked LS for a while and you heard what you wanted to hear, to confirm your conclusion.

Burb guy heard it the way I did.

FWIW VR1 20w50 in my Mazda rotary gives me the lowest wear numbers, especially for bearing metal that I’ve ever seen, in my own engines as well as others. I am using it now forever in this application most likely. Spare me the input about how you can’t judge oil by UOA.

Also, dnewton, you might want to rewatch the video. I think you haven’t liked LS for a while and you heard what you wanted to hear, to confirm your conclusion.

Burb guy heard it the way I did.

compared to other 50 weights?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You may be one of the funniest guys on the board. Calling dnewton biased, and not making decisions based on the data, may take the cake for one of the most ludicrous statements yet made.

Dave clearly and concisely pointed out the (multiple) contradictory statements that LSJ made about VR1, not just in that video but others that have been linked here for reference. Bravo; thanks for the laugh!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You may be one of the funniest guys on the board. Calling dnewton biased, and not making decisions based on the data, may take the cake for one of the most ludicrous statements yet made.

Dave clearly and concisely pointed out the (multiple) contradictory statements that LSJ made about VR1, not just in that video but others that have been linked here for reference. Bravo; thanks for the laugh!
I just watched the video again. Dnewton is wrong in this case , and heard stuff that wasn’t there. I suggest anyone contending with this statement also watch the video before you respond.

An interesting case study of confirmation bias in my opinion. We can all learn from this.

I think dnewton might retract his statements also if he rewatches the video. He seems like a reasonable man.

Last edited:
Also to clarify, the UOAs for the rotary in question were the recommended 5w20, 10-30, 5-40, 15-40, 0-40, etc. Even the renown Mobil 0-40. The conventional VR1 had lower metals than all of them. The GTX 20w50 was second place in my view.

I just watched the video again. Dnewton is wrong in this case , and heard stuff that wasn’t there. I suggest anyone contending with this statement also watch the video before you respond.

An interesting case study of confirmation bias in my opinion. We can all learn from this.

I think dnewton might retract his statements also if he rewatches the video. He seems like a reasonable man.
Now, I will admit that I didn’t watch this video because I have previously watched, and fact-checked, some of LSJ’s videos, including one that popped up on the board today where LSJ made the claim that EVERYONE in EVERY CASE needs to use a detergent additive in gasoline and diesel in order to keep the intake valves clean.

If he’s that reckless with something so simple to debunk (in GDI and turbodiesel, fuel never touches the backside of the valves) why would anyone give him the benefit of the doubt elsewhere?

Back