Really HIGH flash point on FF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGR

So I got the UOA of FF back on the new Jeep today, and of note were two things, a flashpoint of 465F and a viscosity of 7.3 at 100C.

So its thin, but [censored] is that a high flash point. Synthetic in Jeeps as a factory fill? A 5w-20 no less.

I'm not even sure I've seen a 465F on TDS sheets of 5w-20 from anyone? Anyone seen a VOA or TDS at 465F flashpoint on a 5w-20?

224C is what shows up on a Pennzoil Ultra TDS that I found, and that is like 435F. So who is making a 240C flashpoint oil?

An increase in the flashpoint is normal as the lighter fractions of oil evaporated during use. I don't know if a 30 degree increase is normal or could be a sign that the oil was exposed to very high temperatures and should be changed earlier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Possible lab error?

It was Blackstone. And I sent in 2 samples, the other from 4100 miles of MC 5w-20 in a Ford Focus. That one came about as might be expected of MC semi-syn 5w-20.

But sure, I suppose it could have been a hiccup at the lab.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
An increase in the flashpoint is normal as the lighter fractions of oil evaporated during use.

I've never seen a UOA where flashpoint has actually increased. Typically it's the other way around - you get some fuel in your oil and flashpoint takes a dive.

Flash point results (ASTM D92) may differ by as much as 32°F between labs according to the test reproducibility. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this result.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back