post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Nice work! I'll be doing the fluid in my 8hp in my BMW soon with HPL green. What metal pan did you use?

Thanks! I chose a pan by In Power Developing. I know there's lots of good pans out there, but I had to work with tight clearance for the undertray so I couldn't really fit one with a much expanded capacity.

Overall, it's a really well designed pan (almost a copy of the OEM, but with a bit more capacity and better drain plug). I took a chance on the fitment because they didnt list my specific application, but took a chance since it was spec'd for a lot of BMWs with 8HP70. I'm very happy with it.

Some info:

2003 GMC Duramax Allison 1000, drained Mobil 1 full synthetic, at 204,000. (3rd change since new) Refilled with new Allison branded filter and magnet, with Transynd 668, took 7.5 quarts. Will run 100 miles, drain and refill, as per "the experts", in a video from Dave's Garage in Utah.

2020 Infiniti QX60 Luxe AWD
Odometer: 37,703 miles
Out: factory fill of Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid
In: Valvoline synthetic CVT fluid (blue bottle)

QX60 CVT CHANGE 042924.JPG

I used the very same on a family member's 2.5L Rogue. Working fine after ~30k miles of use. Wonder if you checked out the NS-3 quart price for kicks and giggles? If you did, I'm sure you're smiling with the savings.
I have 4 quarts of Idemitsu NS-3 fluid back in NC that I got at a Napa sale for $12.50 a quart. But here in FL I forced myself into a CVT fluid change and spontaneously managed to find the Valvoline CVT fluid also at Napa for $8.99 a quart. So far, so good.

I have 4 quarts of Idemitsu NS-3 fluid back in NC that I got at a Napa sale for $12.50 a quart......
Checking just today on NS-3 cost today, I'm thinking that "sale" price very tough to duplicate today. MSRP $25/qt, no joke. Amazon has 5qts, ~$88. With extensive search, might be able to do a tiny bit better. Not the $9/qt you paid for Valv CVT though. I think it will do fine for you.

Edit, Just noticed I misread your posted. You said Idemitsu "NS-3", not Nissan. That explains that price more. Honestly, between the Idemitsu and the Valvoline CVT you used, I personally wouldn't pay more for the former.

Last edited:
Checking just today on NS-3 cost today, I'm thinking that "sale" price very tough to duplicate today. MSRP $25/qt, no joke. Amazon has 5qts, ~$88. With extensive search, might be able to do a tiny bit better. Not the $9/qt you paid for Valv CVT though. I think it will do fine for you.

Edit, Just noticed I misread your posted. You said Idemitsu "NS-3", not Nissan. That explains that price more. Honestly, between the Idemitsu and the Valvoline CVT you used, I personally wouldn't pay more for the former.
When I bought it, I even thought there was a chance Idemitsu makes the NS-3 for the Nissan label.

When I bought it, I even thought there was a chance Idemitsu makes the NS-3 for the Nissan label.
It could well be, IDK, But if the aftermarket ATF fluids for Honda are any kind of guide, not one of them matches the VOA of DW1 of Z1. Even those that claim some kind of 'special' single use for Honda only. Not saying the the Idemitsu "NS-3" won't work well, no reason to think it won't. Just that I have my doubts it's identical to Nissan NS-3.

2015 Chev City Express van (a Nissan NV200 through and through), 176K, unknown OCI
Out: 3.5 qts reddish brown CVT fluid; it barely registered on the dip stick. Maybe Castrol?
In: 4 qts LubeGard CVT fluid that I had on the shelf.

Pulls better. This is my house painter's work van.
He bought it 50K ago, so the trans service had to be before that. Will do another service or 2 soon.

He's doing a great job refinishing the redwood deck. I'm very pleased.

2016 1500 Ram. Recently changed out the the tranny pan with the PPE aluminum pan, being the oem pan being plastic and able to just change the filter next time. The oem pan comes with the filter built into it. Also the drain plug is so much easier to get to next time. I used valvoline max life fluid and just rechecked the fluid level, all good. The process is a real pita, having to lift the rear to level the tranny and then the procedure. Dealer would not service the tranny, saying it's lifetime, I knew better, just wanted a price, his reply was, just think of the money you're saving. Well, the truck is running fine and the shifts are smooth.

2007 Impreza, exactly 188k miles. This spring weather has me feeling a little froggy, so I decided to go crazy on the old girl.

Out: full D&F (12 quarts worth in a 10qt system) Valvoline MaxLife ATF. The ML was fine when warmed up, but when below maybe 10*F ambient and cold starts, the trans would SLAM the first time it went to shift to 4th gear if you’re really into the gas. Also, occasionally when at the very lower RPM limit of OD (30-35 mph), it would occasionally have a 1-2 sec shudder. Hoping the new fluid will fix both conditions.

In: 3 gallons by D&F, HPL Green CC. Talked with Dave Stoiber about compatibility, and he said since I was already on MaxLife, the very small viscosity difference to the OEM isn’t an issue, so I decided to go for it.

First impressions: Obviously it’s warmer than when then trans would bang on ML, but I immediately noticed smoother engagements of each gear. The ML shifted extremely quickly, the fastest and most positive I’ve ever seen a stock slush box. The HPL is still very quick but just barely softer. Will see how things progress as the fluid cleans from the inside out!

Did not change the filter, since OEM filters are essentially considered lifetime and I changed the OEM out for a pre-2020 Napa Platinum. I know the efficiency isn’t super high, but the synthetic wire-backed media will last. I figure it’s around 40-50k miles in use.

I may decide to toss a new spin-on on it when I add the external trans cooler in a few weeks. We’ll see how the mood strikes me 🤣

EDIT: went out and put about 20 miles on the new Green CC. It’s definitely less abrupt than ML on the shifts (which is odd, since a couple 10R80 users reported very hard shifts with the CC); I kinda like it so far.

I’ll obviously have to wait awhile to see how it performs in cold weather compared to ML. However, this is still May in the Midwest, so we could always have snow again by Thursday…
image.jpg

IMG_3666.jpeg

Last edited:
No, but LubeGuard products actually work for $15 without overfilling
Not even sure I need a product like this
I have no issues other than I’m now at 107K miles
Just looking down the road to add life to the tranny

No, but LubeGuard Red actually works for $15 without overfilling
FIFY… LG has good marketing, but Red is the only transmission additive I’d use because of scientific & tribologixal facts shared by MolaKule.

Not knocking those who have had positive experiences with other LG products.. I used to use BioTech years ago with no negative issues. But you’re much better off buying a fully-formulated fluid that’s what your trans needs. 👍🏻

FIFY… LG has good marketing, but Red is the only transmission additive I’d use because of scientific & tribologixal facts shared by MolaKule.

Not knocking those who have had positive experiences with other LG products.. I used to use BioTech years ago with no negative issues. But you’re much better off buying a fully-formulated fluid that’s what your trans needs. 👍🏻
That’s all obvious - and I change ATF more than most - but when one tiny tube fixes shudder - that’s not marketing …
(and only ever used the red) …

Back