KYB Strut Plus SUCK

I'm glad you were able to get the Toyota stuff.. I did that with my Scion tC, and if they lasted 13 years then I'll get another 13 out the new ones! Oh and no noise or binding at the top mounts either! I did follow the service manual that says to ONLY tighten the center nut (strut rod nut) when the car is on the ground with the weight on the tires. EDITED BELOW
I apologize to everyone.. I have to edit my post..

I re-checked the service manual for my Scion tC, and what it said was that the center lock nut of the strut assembly is to be FINAL TORQUED once the strut is installed into the vehicle. It is when compressing the spring and installing it into the strut perch and top mount. That the center locking nut isn't fully torqued then but once it's installed. I had said with the tires on the ground.. had to correct that.

the sachs-damped Volvos have been my favorite “feel” for most of the driving I do.

kyb hasn’t been getting a good rap.

bilstein has become the name for digressive valving, but frankly it’s not my favorite method. The B6 at least in the 4Runner tuning isn’t overly “sticky” but in the 5100 the difference between the sticky spot and the “wide open” (“oh we are moving now”) valving was a detriment on mine as they aged.

a standard, progressive shock would be a great fit for the Camry; bilstein b6 is a decent bet if you want a little cornering and quality. Idk who builds decent units that provide standard tuning with quality lifespan outside of oem nowadays. At least with Toyota, oem should be good quality, better than Monroe. (I do like some Monroe products but every new buy seems a roll of the dice with them).

the sachs-damped Volvos have been my favorite “feel” for most of the driving I do.

bilstein has become the name for digressive valving, but frankly it’s not my favorite method. The B6 at least in the 4Runner tuning isn’t overly “sticky” but in the 5100 the difference between the sticky spot and the “wide open” (“oh we are moving now”) valving was a detriment on mine as they aged.

a standard, progressive shock would be a great fit for the Camry; bilstein b6 is a decent bet if you want a little cornering and quality. Idk who builds decent units that provide standard tuning with quality lifespan outside of oem nowadays. At least with Toyota, oem should be good quality, better than Monroe. (I do like some Monroe products but every new buy seems a roll of the dice with them).
Absolutely agree with you

Like a few others have already mentioned, off the shelf KYB’s are valved differently than OEM provided KYB.

Yep. Well know. 15% slightly stiffer valving. I was in fact part of the team at TN who quizzed KYB about that 10+ or so year ago and made that info available. You’re welcome.

The thing is, they are the same quality top to bottom so they aren’t going to fail at a higher rate (or lesser). There seems to be some mistaken belief they will…

Agreed. One of my project/fun cars is an “ur-XC” - 2000 Volvo. The car still has the original Sachs suspension, including the quirky rear “Nivomat” hydro-pneumatic suspension. I’ve upgraded the braking, Bigger Mitsubishi 16t turbo, piping, and ECM tune. Also a massive front chassis upgrade with both an upper AND lower brace, and sub-frame stiffening. 123k total miles on the chassis/engine and it still has the original Sachs suspension. Which amazingly, still works in harmony with all those upgrades; not that many total miles really. But the fact the suspension still gives excellent performance after 23 years and after considerable power mods (+40% HP and +50% torque) on top of the above listed suspension and brake mods, is amazing.

For those techincally curious, here is a good explanation of the Sachs “Nivomat” self-leveling suspension:

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/nivomat-shocks-explained/

I also have a complete Boge (Sachs) suspension in my rare 1991 Audi V8 5-speed, and it’s absolutely remarkable what a change that made.

(So yeah, I’m not a KYB fan-boy per se - I just like facts!)

….

To be fair, the amateur-installed KYBs kit have been getting a bad rap.

Not so for professionally or competently installed units.

Last edited:
KYB = Keep Your Bilsteins

If they made Billy’s for my application I would’ve definitely gone that route. My new OEM Toyota struts were: Sachs for the front and KYB for the rear (Toyota specific valving).

Attachments

• IMG_5187.jpeg
    IMG_5187.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5188.jpeg
    IMG_5188.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 29
If they made Billy’s for my application I would’ve definitely gone that route. My new OEM Toyota struts were: Sachs for the front and KYB for the rear (Toyota specific valving).
hey I think I replied to your other post about this.. glad you got the toyota parts installed! and that they're working out for ya.. (y)

hey I think I replied to your other post about this.. glad you got the toyota parts installed! and that they're working out for ya.. (y)

Thanks buddy! I’m still not done as I’m on a quest to find the random ever so slight knocking when I turn my steering wheel at low speeds or when stationary. I double checked everything and the struts are good. I think when the PO owned the car and drove on the blown struts for God knows how long, it caused other suspension components to wear out rapidly. Next will be ball joints, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end links as the new Beck Arnley links I installed have torn boots not even a month later..

Thanks buddy! I’m still not done as I’m on a quest to find the random ever so slight knocking when I turn my steering wheel at low speeds or when stationary. I double checked everything and the struts are good. I think when the PO owned the car and drove on the blown struts for God knows how long, it caused other suspension components to wear out rapidly. Next will be ball joints, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end links as the new Beck Arnley links I installed have torn boots not even a month later..
thanks for the update!! I think I remember something about the steering shaft inside the car needing grease and it was Toyota. That it was the bearing or carrier in the steering column shaft and once they added some bearing grease it was quiet again. Not saying that's it, but help ya search for that in your repair quest.

wow didn't know that the beck arnley links were that bad! sheesh.. and here I was thinking of using them on my scion tC in the rear! ouch..

thanks for the update!! I think I remember something about the steering shaft inside the car needing grease and it was Toyota. That it was the bearing or carrier in the steering column shaft and once they added some bearing grease it was quiet again. Not saying that's it, but help ya search for that in your repair quest.

wow didn't know that the beck arnley links were that bad! sheesh.. and here I was thinking of using them on my scion tC in the rear! ouch..

Thank you also for the heads up! I appreciate members like you that are always sharing valuable info. How’s that’s repair site working out for you? Any good?

Thank you also for the heads up! I appreciate members like you that are always sharing valuable info. How’s that’s repair site working out for you? Any good?
oh heck ya.. thanks for that, was able to download it, very cool how it's setup compared to the one I have. (y)

Are these are the struts where you decided not to follow the mounting instructions, and threw away the factory hardware and used an impact gun- both specifically forbidden in the KYB instructions?

That’s what you described previously:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-kyb-strut-plus-popping-noise-on-turns.376088/

After years modding at TN, we’ve observed quick strut failures almost always come down to installation errors. This seems another case of that.
Yep. Had my awesome Indy shop install my KYB’s. Rides as good as new , and have been on 2 years and still working perfectly fine. No leaks, nothing. Would buy another set in future

For what it's worth I've never had good luck with KYB or Monroe quick struts. I've always had to rip them right out due to some component failure. On my Silverado I ended up rebuilding the original struts with Bilstein shocks and I couldnt be happier.

Back