Guess its my turn, lost a dog buddy

It happened fairly quickly, Cruiser, my almost 14 year old Lab/Shepard mix, crossed the Rainbow Bridge yesterday evening. He had been suffering from hip dysplasia, for a couple months and it was getting progressively harder for him to move around. A couple days ago, my other dogs sensed he was in distress and let us know. Found a wonderful in home vet to euthanize him here in the comfort of his own home, on his own couch, with me, and my wife and son loving on him til he was gone. I still remember the day, August 10, 2010, that I was walking out to my patrol car and this guy approached me with a sall furball in his hand. Said he found the barely 5 week old pup in the bed of his truck and didn't know what to do with him. Well, I did. Put a towel in the front seat and set him there. He immediately curled up and went to sleep. Made the mistake of taking a picture and sending it to my wife. She immediately put it on FaceBook and said we had a new dog. One person commented it was so cute that he was in my patrol car and said we should name him Cruiser. It stuck. Drove him around all shift until I had to take him to the city kennel. Went back and got him for my other 2 night shifts until Monday morning when I asked the Animal Control Officer about adopting him if no one claimed him. She told me to just go ahead and take him home, which I did. He wagged his tail furiously when he pooped on the bed the first time. Couldn't get mad. He always smiled and wagged his tail no matter what. Even when he knew yesterday we had to say goodbye. Gonna miss that guy.
1712495866238.jpg
1712495696979.jpg

In classic pose and acting like a police K-9.

edit: Can't seem to flip the images. Maybe someone can suggest ideas.

Sorry for your loss. Have a very similar story on how we had a dog addition to our home years ago. Like you, we had him for many years too. Your guy, no doubt, had a better life than he would have otherwise.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Dogs fill such a special place within our hearts. Below is, perhaps, my favorite of all dog poems. I have this poster on my refrigerator...

WAITING AT THE DOOR

I was just a pup when we first met,
I loved you from the start,
you picked me up and took me home
and placed me in your heart.
Good times we had together,
we shared all life could throw,
but years passed all too quickly,
my time has come to go.
I know how much you miss me,
I know your heart is sore,
I see the tears that fall when I'm not
Waiting at the Door.

You always did your best for me,
your love was plain to see,
for even though it broke your heart
you set my spirit free.
So please be brave without me,
one day we'll meet once more,
for when you're called to Heaven

I'll be Waiting at the Door

Ed

@ Shortyb....Rest well and content that you gave him a great home. Also think about all the good times you had because of him.

There are many good dogs in shelters that need good homes. I know that you said that you have some others already, but I am only stating the obvious in case you feel the need. RIP Cruiser.

It happened fairly quickly, Cruiser, my almost 14 year old Lab/Shepard mix, crossed the Rainbow Bridge yesterday evening. He had been suffering from hip dysplasia, for a couple months and it was getting progressively harder for him to move around. A couple days ago, my other dogs sensed he was in distress and let us know. Found a wonderful in home vet to euthanize him here in the comfort of his own home, on his own couch, with me, and my wife and son loving on him til he was gone. I still remember the day, August 10, 2010, that I was walking out to my patrol car and this guy approached me with a sall furball in his hand. Said he found the barely 5 week old pup in the bed of his truck and didn't know what to do with him. Well, I did. Put a towel in the front seat and set him there. He immediately curled up and went to sleep. Made the mistake of taking a picture and sending it to my wife. She immediately put it on FaceBook and said we had a new dog. One person commented it was so cute that he was in my patrol car and said we should name him Cruiser. It stuck. Drove him around all shift until I had to take him to the city kennel. Went back and got him for my other 2 night shifts until Monday morning when I asked the Animal Control Officer about adopting him if no one claimed him. She told me to just go ahead and take him home, which I did. He wagged his tail furiously when he pooped on the bed the first time. Couldn't get mad. He always smiled and wagged his tail no matter what. Even when he knew yesterday we had to say goodbye. Gonna miss that guy.
View attachment 212790View attachment 212789
In classic pose and acting like a police K-9.

edit: Can't seem to flip the images. Maybe someone can suggest ideas.
Sorry for the lost of your k9 companion it’s not easy friend they are more than an ”animal”. Rainbow bridge will take care of your best bud it’s a good place where we will be reunited with our K9 pals some day.

Back