Flee and Tick Medication (dog). OTC

What is the cheapest stuff that actually works in that I can walk into any brick and mortar and buy? (No amazon)
He won’t go in the yard and we walk him along the road and paths, ticks even sometimes are caught in the gravel by the road on rainy days.

Years ago when frontline first came out it seemed to work but lately it seems less effective.

My mom usually gets him into the vet for a 3 month that is egregiously expensive that also currently mostly works but it takes months to get an appointment and we ran out of the cheap bio spot we use off season. (Miscalculation)

Looking around none of the stores seem to carry any of the generic versions of Frontline, Hertz kills you and the dog along with the flees and none of the odd ones seem to be any cheaper.

Given we are in an eternal summer including in January I’m looking for something almost as good that is a lot less expensive for December - May that doesn’t require a vet, doesn’t require online ordering
many times my mom gets 3 month chews for the summer by vet but they divy them out like gold nuggets (gold is less expensive)

Years ago even petco seemed to have a full aisle of the stuff and now it only has a couple brands.
Frustrating actual pet stores only want to carry one brand.

Worse Now We are looking for a different place to cut our 10lb dogs hair to the skin because the cost and time required at the usual places has gotten ridiculous,

we used to have an independent that did it all in 45 minutes like a machine, quality was good enough, now you pay 5x-10x more and it takes 4+ hours which is a pain to fit in let alone everything costing as much as A tire replacement.

I use pet armor plus, or front line plus. (Same thing, pet armor is generic.) Just make sure it's the plus version.
Pet Armor doesn’t work. Frontline plus still works well on ticks here in WV. It kills fleas slower so people think it’s not working. I would think you should worry more about ticks where you live. I’ve heard good things about Soresto collars but if you have young children I wouldn’t use a collar.
The reason all the Frontline wannabes don’t work is because of the carrier. Frontline’s fipronil and carrier come from BASF in Germany. It’s still a protected license. I worked in the industry for 35 years.

I preferred using Frontline. I used Frontline exclusively for a couple of years, and then my dog still ended up with fleas. The groomer said that fleas can build up resistance to one medication after it is used exclusively over time, so he suggested to switch to another brand with a different active ingredient for a few months, then I could go back to Frontline again.... just had to switch off of Frontline for a few months every so often.

Tractor Supply used to sell nitenpryam - I forget the name it was under. That stuff kills every flea on a cat in 30 minutes, treat twice with the second dose a few days later. It will generally last all summer but I've had to run a dose a few months later. The hardest part was getting the cats to swallow the pill.

Works on dogs and cats.

edit ; it ain't cheap, but nothing that works generally is.

Tractor Supply used to sell nitenpryam - I forget the name it was under. That stuff kills every flea on a cat in 30 minutes, treat twice with the second dose a few days later. It will generally last all summer but I've had to run a dose a few months later. The hardest part was getting the cats to swallow the pill.

Works on dogs and cats.

edit ; it ain't cheap, but nothing that works generally is.
Nitenpyram is sold under the brand name Capstar, but the patent has expired so you can get it in generic products now. In fact, you can buy it in bulk powder form very cheaply.

While it does kill fleas, Nitenpyram does not kill eggs or larva so it works better in combination with other products.

Nitenpyram is sold under the brand name Capstar, but the patent has expired so you can get it in generic products now. In fact, you can buy it in bulk powder form very cheaply.

While it does kill fleas, Nitenpyram does not kill eggs or larva so it works better in combination with other products.
It also is on demand
AKA dog has flees ticks visible give it a tablet

Effects Doesn’t last long

We had a dose of pet action pro which seems to be similar to Frontline so the dog is good until he gets the chewable (this whole thing came up because he got a tick a couple days before he should have gotten the next 3 month chewable but all our tick stuff was just empty boxes)

I'd second the Soresto suggestion. We had a severe flea infestation a year or so ago. We were going crazy. Spraying, fogging etc... Vet suggested the Soresto flea collars. Picked them up a Walmart because we needed them fast. You can get them from an online pet supply company for less. I wished I had taken a picture after the first night of our two dogs wearing them. Where our little female Shi Tzu was laying was a perfect outline of her body made from dead fleas. They are supposed to last eight months. I changed them out at six months because I didn't want to take the chance they might be losing their potency sooner.

I'd second the Soresto suggestion. We had a severe flea infestation a year or so ago. We were going crazy. Spraying, fogging etc... Vet suggested the Soresto flea collars. Picked them up a Walmart because we needed them fast. You can get them from an online pet supply company for less. I wished I had taken a picture after the first night of our two dogs wearing them. Where our little female Shi Tzu was laying was a perfect outline of her body made from dead fleas. They are supposed to last eight months. I changed them out at six months because I didn't want to take the chance they might be losing their potency sooner.
I’ve got a flee collar NIB in case he gets a bunch, thankfully flees are rare locally, ticks however are everywhere, dog can’t even walk down the blacktop without a tick finding him.

Now if I take him to the sandy areas near certain bodies of water or up to certain spots in the UP, there are flees, thankfully they usually get killed by his oral stuff before we get home.

Our Vet recommended Trifexis, which isn't exactly cheap, but it does three things. Kills fleas and ticks, prevents heartworm, and kills intestinal worms.
This is a single pill for about $135.00 for six pills, given once a month.
So, for about $23.00/month my dog is protected from several ailments.

Prescription only though, and I get them through Chewy.
They'll contact your vet, but won't write a prescription without a visit.

Back