Did piston soak increase my oil consumption?

I agree... I have the same thougt but I just bougth 100 dollars of fine 5w30 oil. That sucks :)
I would leave the 5w30 in the sump for the entire oci and then go back to an xw40 next time. A good compression test should set you mind at rest if it’s just driving you crazy.

How does it work?
I don’t know but…all the charter fishing guides that I’ve ever been fishing with swear by it. When they put 1,000 hours a season on their motors they use what works. Not a good answer but that’s what I know. Give me time and I’ll make stuff up….

I could have written this post if i wasnt the TS. Off course i was burning oil. All Audi engines do. But i was not measuring it. Now i do and maybe a already was almost at the threshold value. In combination with a thinner oil maybe it is nothing. I came here for a little peace of mind and i found it. I will change the oil for 5w40 and have to wait to be sure....
I have noticed lots of Audi's with excessive oil consumption

I would most def run a HDEO in these and a bit heavier viscosity from what manual recommends.
Perhaps 10W-40 to begin with. I red your original post more thoroughly, you filled with 5W-30 i see. That might be a bit too light considering Audis burn oil.

1. VW 502 00 comes in 10W40.
2. 10W40 is not thicker(heavier) then 5W40. With your theory it would lessen oil consumption only before operating temperatur.

Edit:
Ahh darn it. 502 no longer seems to have 10W40 on the list, it did 2017.

Last edited:
Ok, I will ditch the 5W30 and save it for later when I have to add some. Put 5W40 in my car and hope for the best. If it doesn’t help, will do an compression test. Keep u guys posted

Ok, new observation. Tailpipes are black and greasy. The grease is definitely different compared to before ! Does this still fit in the hypothesis of too thin oil after only 300 miles?

Last edited:
Back