2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD

So, first week driving impressions!

First and foremost I filled up and hand calculated fuel mileage. 25.6MPG. That honestly isn't too shabby compared to my 3rd gens.

I LOVE the 2.4 turbo and 8 speed automatic combo. They seemed to have finally gotten the right programming down. Truck will really move and get out of its own way without too much throttle input. Couple times I've accidentally barked off the rear tires taking off. Engine does sound very diesel like on a cold start, I kinda like it.

Ride quality has improved setting the correct tire pressure. However you still feel all the bumps and such in the road. It is a truck afterall though. Not sure if the rear coil spring suspension makes a difference. Only thing I notice is all the bumps feel the same compared to a leaf spring setup.

Seating position is definitely improved over the last couple generations. I honestly didn't mind it, but now it has more of a truck feel.

Some complain about it, but I like the JBL sound system. After some adjustment you can feel the little sub in the back. No complaints.

The head unit did have a little glitch one morning. It refused to connect to my phone and wireless Android Auto. After the truck sat at work all day and a reset on my phone I jumped in to leave and all was normal. Even played one of my favorite songs as a "sorry dude" :ROFLMAO:

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It does need a tire upgrade from 245's to 265's, but I need to wear out these a little bit first. 17's aren't exactly cheap.

I’m so glad to hear the turbo 4 has been done well. Toyota has had them for a while but not in mainstream production. One of these could be in my watch list when the f150 ages out.

One note about tire changes - my tundra rode stiff (2006 TRD). Little did I know, but Toyota absolutely went with a small wheel, narrow tire configuration on the TRD on purpose. Non-TRD models actually got a larger wheel and less sidewall rubber. I stepped “up” to larger diameter wheels (I think from 16 to 17) and it really sent the cab comfort notably backwards. I’d keep this in mind and see what others experience as you get closer - there may be some better ways to make that work than others.

Another fill up today. This run consisted of more throttle and a nice highway pass of 80-85mph. Hand calculated at 24.4MPG.

Only two annoyances so far. Infotainment system still has a little glitch with wireless Android Auto. A quick setting change (that seems to keep resetting itself?) and all is OK for the trip. I do think it's my phone (Samsung Galaxy S24) as I was driving the Camry today and my phone went stupid, which required a reset. So, this might not be the trucks fault.

Today the truck would do one beep and then about 9 beeps after locking the door using the tap method. Weird. I saw before I exited it had a check rear warning (child safety stuff) message. I had my bookbag with some extra clothes that I keep in the truck (those with IBS will understand this...) on the rear seat, so I moved it to the floor. It did it again. I have a blanket covering the rear seat so I may have it tucked in a way it's putting pressure on the seat and triggering the sensor. I just turned off the alert and it hasn't excessively beeped at me again.

Other than that I am still loving this new generation!

Nice looking truck! It will serve you well. There's something about the new design that resonates with me.
Your avatar says V6/Toyota/4WD. Will you be changing it to something like I4-Turbo?

Nice looking truck! It will serve you well. There's something about the new design that resonates with me.
Your avatar says V6/Toyota/4WD. Will you be changing it to something like I4-Turbo?

Hah, didn't even think about the Avatar. I've had that since my first Tacoma, an '09. Sheesh, that was the first out of 5 now :ROFLMAO:

@Delta

I may have missed it in another post, but what oil will you use?

My choice in that would be M1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30, especially now that Walmart is starting to carry it in-store for $29!

@Delta

I may have missed it in another post, but what oil will you use?

My choice in that would be M1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30, especially now that Walmart is starting to carry it in-store for $29!

For the warranty period I'm going to suck it up and pay the dealer to do it as this is an all new engine and I don't want any BS if something goes wrong. I don't reach 5K within 6 months so I'll just do 6mo intervals. After warranty (if I still have it), whatever GF6A 0w20 that is on sale with an OEM filter.

So, against better judgement on getting a first model year on a complete new re-design I went ahead and went with the all new 4th Gen Tacoma. My 2022 TRD with the 6 speed manual was a good truck, but honestly I was getting tired of shifting the thing. Yesterday I took it on its first mini trip that included several towns with many red lights and a couple mountain passes. So that lead to this decision...

cbkVv3Y.jpg

jUE3QUc.jpg

VFtR46M.jpg

So far so good. The 2.4 turbo seems to have plenty of power and the 8 speed automatic is leaps beyond the 6 speed automatic in the 3rd gens. Didn't even hardly downshift on the hills on the state roads I travel. Also from what the truck was saying I got a hair over 26mpg on the way home from the dealer. This was in town and state 45/55mph roads. Truck is equipped with the SR5 Upgrade Package which has the power sliding glass rear window, heated seats/steering wheel, and JBL sound system. The subwoofer does take up some space behind the rear seat.

After a couple Offroads and a Sport thrown in the mix with the way the options are set the SR5 made sense for me. Has plenty of options and I don't offroad so it does just fine.

This model does have the new coil spring rear suspension. I'm not 100% how it handles compared to the 3rd gens as they have the tires jacked up to 45PSI. I'll have to adjust and update.

I did remove that goofy chin spoiler immediately after getting home.

iEnvEdd.jpg

Will it be reliable? Who's to say. I'm sure something will go wrong, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
not to go off topic but , love your house. looks like a nice size

not to go off topic but , love your house. looks like a nice size

Thanks! Roughly 1200sq ft, so not too big, but the basement is partially finished. Was originally a 3br 1 ba, but I ripped apart a closet to add a half bath. Bought it right before interest rates went up so I'm stuck here for a while.

Thanks! Roughly 1200sq ft, so not too big, but the basement is partially finished. Was originally a 3br 1 ba, but I ripped apart a closet to add a half bath. Bought it right before interest rates went up so I'm stuck here for a while.
Very nice

I sat in my chair in the garage staring at it for a while adult beverage in hand :ROFLMAO:

Being an inline 4 it does sound car like, but I don't mind as it has the power the Tacoma has needed for years!

Yes, I do seem to go through vehicles a lot, but I don't really vacation, party, or otherwise spend money so having something nice to drive is my splurge. People can judge me how they seem fit...
If I was your neighbor I’d sit there with ya having an “adult soda” too! Enjoy your new toy!

Congrats. I was wondering how reliable the i4-turbo will be? I am looking at a Highlander.

I'm betting there will be few issues. Haven't heard of any 2.4's in the Highlander randomly blowing up.

I've noticed if you keep it out of boost you will get good fuel mileage. From hand calculations the computer is pretty much spot on or you get better. Went out to do a little shopping and leaving the last place and heading home shutting off the truck it said I got 30mpg. That was a short 7 mile run back to the house, but holy smokes. Road isn't flat either, bunch of little hills. Previous tank was 24.4 using 89 E10 and the current one is 88 E15. We'll see what I get overall, but I seem to get over the EPA rating.

It’s so weird hearing these new trucks drive by in the neighborhood while waiting for school pick up or out on a walk.

A new Tacoma just cruised by me the other day, just doesn’t sound right putting along a 4 cylinder pick up.

Newer 1/2 tons too…chevys with their 4 cylinder putting and whistling along. Fords whistling along sounding gutless. And the dodges putting along with their cylinders shut down and supposed to be loud mufflers making it sound really odd.

Not that I’ve driven them to actually say they feel like they’re struggling, it just doesn’t sound normal to me. I’d prefer to under-work a normal 6 or 8 cylinder than push a turbo 4 or 6, but those times are gone it seems.

Like the looks of the new tacomas though! Hope it ends up being a good vehicle.

It’s so weird hearing these new trucks drive by in the neighborhood while waiting for school pick up or out on a walk.

A new Tacoma just cruised by me the other day, just doesn’t sound right putting along a 4 cylinder pick up.

Newer 1/2 tons too…chevys with their 4 cylinder putting and whistling along. Fords whistling along sounding gutless. And the dodges putting along with their cylinders shut down and supposed to be loud mufflers making it sound really odd.

Not that I’ve driven them to actually say they feel like they’re struggling, it just doesn’t sound normal to me. I’d prefer to under-work a normal 6 or 8 cylinder than push a turbo 4 or 6, but those times are gone it seems.

Like the looks of the new tacomas though! Hope it ends up being a good vehicle.

In cab it's almost diesel like, it honestly sounds good (to me). It definitely does not struggle, almost too much down low for its own good some times.

I'm betting there will be few issues. Haven't heard of any 2.4's in the Highlander randomly blowing up.

I've noticed if you keep it out of boost you will get good fuel mileage. From hand calculations the computer is pretty much spot on or you get better. Went out to do a little shopping and leaving the last place and heading home shutting off the truck it said I got 30mpg. That was a short 7 mile run back to the house, but holy smokes. Road isn't flat either, bunch of little hills. Previous tank was 24.4 using 89 E10 and the current one is 88 E15. We'll see what I get overall, but I seem to get over the EPA rating.
Wow....30mpg....it would be really interesting to know your mpg as your miles build up.
Keep us updated if you will

Back