2013 Volvo S80 3.2, 6654 mi, Castrol Euro 5W40 A3/B4 API SP

Latest report for our Volvo. Everything trending nicely. I put the same oil back in, so in October when we do the next UOA, there will be less carryover oil of a different kind skewing the results. I expect a higher viscosity and TBN due to 2 consecutive runs of this same oil. Based on TBN and oxidation, this oil could've easily made it to 10k miles, but we probably won't ever push it that far in this car. We're changing it out every 6 months, with typical mileage of 6-8k miles per 6 months.

Air filter has 14k miles on it, and with silicon levels staying low, we're keeping it in for another 6 months.

Total wear metals is 22ppm, for an average of 3.31ppm per 1000 miles. I'm happy with that.

Lastly, fuel dilution keeps trending down ever so slightly.

Gotta say, Oil Analyzers has a fast turnaround! I mailed the sample on Monday, and here it is Thursday evening and I already have results.

13s80042124.jpg

You're right filtration is great even w/14k nice! Viscosity & BN higher than the 5w-30 SL. Fuel dilution seemed to not track with further miles than last UOA & leveled out w/1400 more miles put on this run.

Do you know if it was ready for you to add any oil at the end of this run?
Is this 50/50 city/hwy?
I thought the second gen S80 was built on the P2 chassis but was reading the other day it might be P3?

Good run & gets me real excited to sample the Valvoline 5w-30 that's in the sump right now on the 3.2L. 12k-16k miles a year is a good amount of miles but with your low miles you have many years to go. Love those S80's.

Thank you for de-escalating the situation earlier...you are wise. :cool:

You're right filtration is great even w/14k nice! Viscosity & BN higher than the 5w-30 SL. Fuel dilution seemed to not track with further miles than last UOA & leveled out w/1400 more miles put on this run.

Do you know if it was ready for you to add any oil at the end of this run?
Is this 50/50 city/hwy?
I thought the second gen S80 was built on the P2 chassis but was reading the other day it might be P3?

Good run & gets me real excited to sample the Valvoline 5w-30 that's in the sump right now on the 3.2L. 12k-16k miles a year is a good amount of miles but with your low miles you have many years to go. Love those S80's.

Thank you for de-escalating the situation earlier...you are wise. :cool:
Hey, no worries.

The oil level was at or near the full level at the end of this run, with no oil added. This car does not seem to use much, if any oil.

I'd say it's close to 50/50 city/hwy. Hard to say, it's my son's vehicle. He will toodle around town a lot, then go on several long trips in between. Just based on the mileage (~1100 mi/mo) I'd say it's more like 60% hwy.

This is definitely a P3 chassis.

Looking forward to seeing your first UOA on your Volvo. Any idea when you'll change the oil in it?

Hey, no worries.

The oil level was at or near the full level at the end of this run, with no oil added. This car does not seem to use much, if any oil.

I'd say it's close to 50/50 city/hwy. Hard to say, it's my son's vehicle. He will toodle around town a lot, then go on several long trips in between. Just based on the mileage (~1100 mi/mo) I'd say it's more like 60% hwy.

This is definitely a P3 chassis.

Looking forward to seeing your first UOA on your Volvo. Any idea when you'll change the oil in it?
That is very interesting & for some reason I thought it was P2 but after some digging around I saw P3 the other day. You just gave the perfect opportunity to just ask a real owner the real answer. HA! Second gen S80=P3. The article was talking about how Ford sold Jaguar but held onto Volvo even though it was in the red. Ford decided Volvo needed to push their products higher tiered, aiming towards lower tiered BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc. & your S80 was the result of that push. I think it may have been on Wikipedia but I don't remember for sure.

Good to know you don't have an oil burner & as I'm sure you well know buying used can be a gamble. Good news there. As for the XC90 the oil was change just before we bought it & I just don't want to waste the oil so my plan is to run it until it gets close to the Min line on the dipstick. There is currently 2,993 miles on this oil/filter but if it's a situation like yours in that it doesn't burn much then I'll change by 7,500 like the manual suggests. I already bought some Mobil 1 0w-40 FS Euro w/OG Fram Ultra for the next run in the garage waiting patiently to be deployed. We've put on 1,184 miles in the last 40 days & at that rate it would put us around Sept. LOL We avg around 10-11k annually & it's like 90% highway since we live away from everything. If I remember I will let you know when I do the UOA. (y)

There is currently 2,993 miles on this oil/filter but if it's a situation like yours in that it doesn't burn much then I'll change by 7,500 like the manual suggests.
I was pretty cautious when we first got the car. I remember the dipstick showing super high when we brought it home. I was not comfortable with leaving that much overfill in there, plus not knowing what kind of oil made me want to change it out. Based on the Carfax report, the oil had ~2000 miles and I'm glad I drained it early:

I already bought some Mobil 1 0w-40 FS Euro w/OG Fram Ultra
Your Volvo uses the cartridge filters, right? If so, I was also going to go with the Fram Ultra, but the more I read up on their cartridge filter, the more I found stories of them coming apart at the glue joints. I'd love the wire backing and high filtering efficiency, but I was too concerned about the filter staying together, so ended up going with MANN (who makes the Volvo-branded oil filters).
12k-16k miles a year is a good amount of miles but with your low miles you have many years to go. Love those S80's.
I'm hoping my son continues his trend of fewer miles. Between June 2023 and the end of December 2023, he drove it 9k miles, for an average of 15.7k annually. So far in 2024, he's averaging the equivalent of 11.1k miles per year. I'd be happier (for his safety as well as car longevity) for that trend to continue downward a bit.

I was pretty cautious when we first got the car. I remember the dipstick showing super high when we brought it home. I was not comfortable with leaving that much overfill in there, plus not knowing what kind of oil made me want to change it out. Based on the Carfax report, the oil had ~2000 miles and I'm glad I drained it early:
I would've done the exact same as you in that situation. The oil level is showing full still but not over the fill line & the receipt stated "5w-30 Syn Motor Oil". When I called the repair shop they claimed they used "Valvoline Euro". Looks like they charged for 8 quarts but it takes 7.7 qts but by the time I got it just showed at the max line. Courtesy of your VOA Base I'll see what might come close. Also lists the Pronto filter & as you well know it's a PG made filter so not concerned there but will post it here as well.
Your Volvo uses the cartridge filters, right? If so, I was also going to go with the Fram Ultra, but the more I read up on their cartridge filter, the more I found stories of them coming apart at the glue joints. I'd love the wire backing and high filtering efficiency, but I was too concerned about the filter staying together, so ended up going with MANN (who makes the Volvo-branded oil filters).
Yes, we use the same filter & per our last conversation what I've found is that the Purolator Classic is the same exact filter sourced from Mann.
Also, I'm sure your well aware that the good news so far is that the Fram Ultra's for our 3.2L is still being offered with wire backing. I bought x2 of them off eBay a few months ago & I'll find out if they are end poppers soon enough LOL.

I'm hoping my son continues his trend of fewer miles. Between June 2023 and the end of December 2023, he drove it 9k miles, for an average of 15.7k annually. So far in 2024, he's averaging the equivalent of 11.1k miles per year. I'd be happier (for his safety as well as car longevity) for that trend to continue downward a bit.
How can one pass up the opportunity to rip around in the Volvo ha ha. I hear what you mean though. My son rips around in his rusty 11' Focus but it was an easy purchase but not exactly a safe car though. :cautious:

IMG_20240426_131349.jpg

IMG_20240326_143129.jpg

Back