Symptoms of bad rear leaf springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title says.

I'm wondering this as I've had the truck since new (158K now) and it has always had a fiberglass shell on.

The rubber pieces in between some of the leaves are getting in bad shape and there is a "clank" that happens when changing direction. The clank has been sort of "fixed" with some lube, but that will be temporary as it wears away.
FYI, the drive shaft has been rebuilt as well as the rear end...no problems there.

So...fire away!
cheers.gif

sounds to me you just need to replace it.. as for the rearend needing to be replaced, did you not mantain it very well? like change the diff oil out every 20-30k miles? tow heavy loads? just curious bc its odd that they go out with that mileage. same with the drive shaft. i know i grease my drive shaft every other oil change

Rear had been maintained, but when looking for the "clank", I was told it was the rear. Hence I paid to have a perfectly good rear rebuilt
mad.gif
. That shop does no more work on my truck.
The driveshaft needed new U-joints as it was vibrating.

The truck is well maintained. In fact, a different mech (Toyota Master Tech) just told me yesterday that this truck is the best running one he has ever come across. (Knowing my luck, I'm knocking on wood
grin.gif
). I know the feel of the truck VERY well after 14 years, so any noise or vibration is noticed...and bugs me until its fixed.

go to the website i just gave you above.. ask there. lots of yota mechanics hang out there. one may have had the same issue and can tell you exactly what it is.. here at bitog its a stab in the dark.

Look at the spring pack above the axle and look for cracks. Basically scan the entire length around the mounting pad. Thats about the only failure of leaf springs I know of. Those nylon spacers on the leaf springs will wear out over time. All they do is keep things quiet. Unless I have an actual broken spring, I'll put up with a bit of noise.

Alex.

Back in the olden daze people used to take leaf spring assemblies apart, clean and paint them and reassemble with new spacers. Is there any reason to not do that now?

Quote:

Back in the olden daze people used to take leaf spring assemblies apart, clean and paint them and reassemble with new spacers. Is there any reason to not do that now?

Unless you're a real glutton for punishment, and count your time for anything,,,new spring bundles from specialty suspension shops are WAY too cheap!

I'd definitely check other forum mentioned,,you're getting a load of garbage here!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back