My bro's 1984 Accord (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in my home country Sri Lanka for a month, and took this photo of my brother's 1984 4-banger Accord (see below; the turn signals on the bumper are taken off for repair):

-

This car only has about 100k miles, but SL roads are hard on cars, and although the body is in good shape, the interior is sort of falling apart..I noticed a lot of rattles, and dislodged panels. The car gets 3k mile oil changes with Caltex 20W-50! I don't know why, they seem to use only 20w-50 for older cars there! The engine is running well, but the timing belt broke while we were there, luckily no damage to valves.
Also my brother has gotten this idea that the car has to be strted every day: he starts it, revves it immediately, and holds it there for about 5 minutes with the a/c running, and shuts it off: every day! ...some "wise person" had adviced him on this...I tried to explain why he doesn't need to do it, but he doesn't seem to give up this habit!

Wow...fun to see one of these again after all these years. My Mom had an '85 Accord SEi. Interesting difference in appearance...the US version had 4 sealed-beam headlights instead of the flush mounts on your brother's....and no repeater blinkers on the fenders. Fantastic, trouble-free car for 6 years. She sold it to our family dentist, who's son took it to college and let the timing belt break. $1200 head damage. OOPS.

I still don't understand why there was no damage from breaking the t-belt on my brother's accord. I'm so glad about that, and was quite relieved to hear of no damage, but i'm pretty sure that engine is an interference engine. This an Accord EX by the way.
I also found it interesting that although km/h is used on sppedo's there, this one has a speedometer which looks like one a U.S. car would have: numbers in miles are bigger than km/h numbers...

I've heard of one interference engine suffering no damage from a timing belt break....it was because the car was idling at a stoplight when it happened. Apparently the engine stopped running before any pistons could strike the valves. No so with my Mom's....it happened on the interstate.

An 84 EX? Now THATS wierd....in the US, they only offered base, LX and SEi in that body style.

That EX was stuck there after the fact..and it's not even the correct font. That's also not where honda puts them. If it was real, it'd be on the body-colored strip below the right taillight.

Cool pics;) I owned a 1981 Accord through high school and it was a great car. That little 4 banger saw LOTS of abuse and never complained once. I sold it at 160,000 miles and it still looked and ran great. It had a steady diet of Pennzoil 10w40. IIRC, the owners manual recommended 10w40 above 85*F or so.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
That EX was stuck there after the fact..and it's not even the correct font. That's also not where honda puts them. If it was real, it'd be on the body-colored strip below the right taillight.

that could well be true; I don't own the car or see it very often. The original badge may have been lost, and perhaps somebody (the prev. owner perhaps) stuck the EX on there. I also see that it's sort of hutting out at the bottom.

My wife's pervious car was a 1989 Accord LXi coupe; was pretty good. had trouble with engine mounts and CV joints and bad paint, though. Sold it at 170k miles.

UPDATE: I just called my brother in SL to ask about the EX badge (he thinks I'm nuts to wake him up):
He says it WAS below the taillight when he got the car from the previous owner, but some body shop guy removed it for a paint job and put it back on the wrong place...so; I don't know, but I also agree that the font looks kinda off...
dunno.gif

Well, seeing an 84 Accord with flush headlights was an eye opener too, so I guess anything is possible. The US didn't get the "EX" designation on an Accord until 1990.

My family had an '85 LX, same color as that one. It was a fantastic little car. We finally gave it up after 245,000 miles or so when the starter died. It was really, really hard to get to, and we had an extra car anyway. The inside was falling apart (too many years of teenagers driving it), but it still shifted smoothly, got the EPA mileage rating, and didn't use oil. I've posted this before: once it's warmed up, that engine was so smooth!

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
I don't know why, they seem to use only 20w-50 for older cars there!

Probably has large percentage of Grp-I in it. Nice car. It's good seeing other people who take good care of their cars.

I like how ding-and-rust free the paint is. Your brother must wax the thing after his 5 minute idling exercise.
smile.gif

Tell us, does Sri Lanka import lots of moderately used cars from, say, Japan, or do they (also) have a solid new car sales franchise? I'm also noticing right-hand-drive.

The car was painted recently, that's why it looks so good.
Yes,SL does have a lot of Japanese used cars running around...but there's a huge market for new cars too, and that's not limited to japanese, like it used to be 20 yrs ago. You can see new MB, BMW, Volovo, Saab, Jaguar etc in abundance in the capitol (even new Alfa Romeos!)...newest thing is, they even have Chryslers! This surprsised me during my trip, seeing a bunch of Grand Cherokees. They're very expensive, but there are enough rich people who buy them...
Yes, the cars are right-hand-drive there. (used to be a british colony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back