accidentally sipped antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any former Soviet Army or Airforce people here ?
cheers.gif

I heard that they used to ingest much of it to supplement the cold boring winters while the equipement sat idle.
nono.gif

Glycol, kinda like a Rocky mountain high !!
pat.gif
biggthumbcoffe.gif

The antidote for Antifreeze is alcohol. Drink a couple of beers and it would help if you only got a little bit ingested. Call poison control also.

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
The antidote for Antifreeze is alcohol. Drink a couple of beers and it would help if you only got a little bit ingested. Call poison control also.

I read an article years ago (I think in Dog Fancy magazine) about a dog drinking some antifreeze. They were advised and did get the dog stone drunk ASAP and saved it. IIRC the article stated that the antifreeze does it's dirty work through the liver and by overwhelming the liver with alcohol, the antifreeze bypasses the liver.

Anybody veterinarian out there that can verify this for us?

There was a huge fraud years ago in Austria when wine makers were adding glycol to wine. Sure enough it was discovered and the wine was eventually used on Austrian airport runways during the winter. Seriously!

Sorry OT, but this reminds me: is it really bad to get the used oil on me when I change my oil? I am getting better, but the first time one arm was pretty solidly covered for 15 minutes or so. Now I get a bit on, use a paper towel to wipe off, then wash good when I'm done.

Any danger there?

Nate

That,s one of the reasons I use Amsoil propylene glycol antifreeze. Also I don,t worry so much with pets running around as well when it gets spilled.
I also wear blue nitrile gloves when doing most types of auto work. Protects hands pretty good till I tear them.

the propylene glycol one is not toxic? i thought that one was a bit toxic as well... i use the green stuff...

I don't think propylene glycol is toxic, I believe it is even used in some foods. I seem to remember reading it as an ingrediant in Mountain Dew soda.

offtopic.gif

Once I got one drop of some old, dirty gear oil in my mouth. Standing under the differential of a car on a lift, diff cover off, mouth ajar, KERPLOP, right in the old kisser. Man was that nasty.
freak2.gif

I think this thread has served its purpose, so I am going to move it to the additive section.

Dan

Yes, thanks Dan, and thank you everyone for responding! boy did i learn my lesson ;-)

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Any former Soviet Army or Airforce people here? I heard that they used to ingest much of it to supplement the cold boring winters while the equipement sat idle.

Wrong glycol - it was brake fluid stolen from idle equipment. Allegedly conditions were so bad on Soviet military bases for recruits that they'd do anything to get three sheets to the wind to forget their mistreatment at the hands of the non-comms for a few hours. At one point rumors had it that the Soviets had maintnance crews immediately drain the brake systems after training maneuvers and store it under armed guard in an effort to thwart the theft. The problem was that the guards (volunteers for some reason...) seemed to be a particularly happy lot coming off duty and there were still unaccounted shortages of stored brake fluid. (Who guards the guards?...)

Dumb as it may have been, I actually got curious and tasted antifreeze once. I put a few drops on my tongue. It was sweet, but I wouldn't say it tasted good. I spit it out and rinsed a few times until I could no longer taste it. I never felt any effects.

For an adult it takes about 120 mL to do you in, that's about 4 shot glasses.

If I remember correctly it is metabolized to oxalic acid (same as rhubarb leaves). Crystals grow that tear apart the tissues in your liver or kidneys (can't remember). A very painful death I am told (although I have not experienced it personally).

Propylene glycol is pretty much non-toxic but it is not intended for human consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
A very painful death I am told (although I have not experienced it personally).

Is that true?
lol.gif

I wanna hear from someone who's been through it personally!
grin.gif

"A very painful death I am told (although I have not experienced it personally)".

lol.gif
lol.gif
Stinky, I like your name and your wit !
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
For an adult it takes about 120 mL to do you in, that's about 4 shot glasses.

If I remember correctly it is metabolized to oxalic acid (same as rhubarb leaves). Crystals grow that tear apart the tissues in your liver or kidneys (can't remember). A very painful death I am told.

Diethylene glycol poisoning affects both the liver and kidneys, but in lethal dosage, its affects on renal function causes the immediate acute symptoms and death. Oxalic acid crystals precipitate out in the kidneys which are then unable to continue filtration and urine production. Uric acid concentration increases in the blood to lethal levels while the blood pressure increase in the kidneys results in acute bilateral lower back pain. There would also be general malaise and stupor from the systemic uric acid buildup. End game unless dialysis is available. In a case of acute poisoning by ethylene glycol, a kidney transplant is the only long term solution. In sub-lethal doses, ethylene glycol causes liver damage, neuropathy, reproduction anomolies, and is suspected as a carcinogen in long term exposure based on animal studies. This stuff should always be handled and disposed of very carefully, and respected for what it is - lethal in relatively small quantities.

Just be glad it wasn't DexCool. Based on its reputation here, it would have made all of your internal organs leap out of your body through the nearest orifice and go on to kill every man, woman, child, and intake gasket within three states ...

I am a pharmacist and there is actually an andidote for it.

All i can say is that it is mega-expensive!! and
I doubt if BCBS would pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back