Bypass with NO oil drain extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on a bypass filtration system for my Cummins diesel. My purpose, rather than extending (or eliminating) regular oil changes, is to minimize wear in my engine from material
Does anyone else do things this way? If this is dumb, why?

It's your truck so you can do what you want. Seriously, go for it!

I can't help but think you will be throwing out perfectly good oil and filters, and the engine life will be about the same as if you went, say 10k (if not more).

quote:

Originally posted by Grey Rider:
I'm currently working on a bypass filtration system for my Cummins diesel. My purpose, rather than extending (or eliminating) regular oil changes, is to minimize wear in my engine from material

Absolutely. I do.

We all do things every day that cost money, but we do them because we believe we are receiving some value for our expenditure. We buy a Coke out of a machine at work for $0.75 and we don't bat an eye. We go out for lunch and spend $8 instead of eating a $0.50 homemade PB&J.

I change my oil twice as often as most folks running the same oil/engine combo. I spend about an extra $0.80 per week to do it!! All I have to do is pass up one Coke per week at the office and I've paid for having really clean oil virtually all the time! And I have a bypass to boot!

Now to me, that's a bargain!

Tim

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one going this way.
smile.gif

Except there is figured to be some 200 - 300 million gallons of waste oil from cars not being properly disposed of each year, thus polluting the environment. That is one reason I go for the Amsoil 25K oil change. I am doing my share to reduce pollution.

quote:

Originally posted by Grey Rider:

WHY? That is the question.

Maybe you could give us a few good reasons why changing oil every 3500 miles make sense, then I could possibly understand where you are coming from.
dunno.gif

when folks tell me they use AMSOIL and change every 3,000 miles, I will ask them why. If they really have no good reason, I recommend:

They change every 1,000 miles
They buy the oil from me at retail!

Sometimes makes them think a bit.

I think a better idea would be to replace the filters more frequently, adding fresh new oil each time.

When I ran my Frantz by-pass on a turbo Subaru I changed the TP filter every 2000 miles.

[ May 06, 2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: greencrew ]

Or do a couple of UOA and at least strech the 3500 miles to 5000, 6000 - not the 1 year 25k extreme. Then you're within a comfort zone with oil that is as good as new. And you've gone to the trouble of installing a bypass filter so why not benefit?

This is where I'm trying to get, fewer oil changes. Also my 4 cars all too frequently have problems, running rich, leaky oil pans. I get them repaired but by then the oil needs to be changed. So I doubt I'd ever do an extended interval. But if all goes well, why not run a A-3 rated oil like 'GC' Castrol out to 7500 miles if it tests OK and the bypass filter keeps it good as new?

Run a good oil and Fleetguard filters,go by the service manual recommended intervals the engine should out last the chassis .

quote:

go by the service manual recommended intervals the engine should out last the chassis .

Probably true ...but what's fun about that? We're Americans. When all else fails we consult the instructions
grin.gif
We're the builders of better mouse traps ..the tinkerers ..the inventors.

Doing what someone else tells the rest of the "common m(asses)" runs against our grain!!

My God, man! Don't you have a bit of cultural integrity!!!!
shocked.gif

I don't have any particular interest in extending my drain intervals at this point in my life. I think oil changes are cheap, and I actually enjoy doing the work (gives me the opportunity to check out the undercarriage). I change my oil at a facility that collects the used oil in a very large tank, then sends it all out for recycling when full, so I'm not contributing to pollution.

Changing oil every 3000 despite manufacturer recommendations to go 3500 miles is dumb. Adding a bypass filter and still changing at 3500 is dumb. But I'm going to do it!
smile.gif

Well it's not dumb - but just treating it like a collector's antique car. I know guys with cars and with nothing better to do, would flush all the fluids.

And when you figure you are going to spend $40 on gas, why not change the oil. If Jiffy lube charges you $25, go ahead and put in some great oil recommended by others here on BITOG.

So no, not dumb. I know I changed my motorcycle oil at the beginning of this season. Based on recommendation here on the forum I picked Delvac 1300 and loved the way the bike ran afterward. Now it's back to shifting reluctantly after 800 miles in service. So I'm going to change it again, and use Delvac again. I think it's cleaning out the other junk. And I'll change it again (at $5.88, cheap) if I need to. I figure after 3 or 4 tries it should be ok. If not, I'll try Shell Rotella! Good luck with you plan.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

go by the service manual recommended intervals the engine should out last the chassis .

Probably true ...but what's fun about that? We're Americans. When all else fails we consult the instructions
grin.gif
We're the builders of better mouse traps ..the tinkerers ..the inventors.

Doing what someone else tells the rest of the "common m(asses)" runs against our grain!!

My God, man! Don't you have a bit of cultural integrity!!!!
shocked.gif

ROFL. I think that the same disease that compels us to come to a motor oil discussion board (my wife is considering having me committed...) also causes us not to be satisfied until the mousetrap we're building can kill the same mouse several times over!

What the overly logical members need to remember is that for many motorheads, cars and trucks are not a matter of pure reason. We overchange overcapable oil and filters for the same reason we have an engine compartment that you can eat out of -- because it makes us feel good to do it. So yes, some of what we do is mechanically pointless, but it's still mental health PM for motorheads!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back