Magnesium: 39
Phosphorus: 1159
Zinc: 1380
Barium: 1
(All other values: 0)

SUS Visc @ 210: 66.9
Flashpoint: 400
Fuel %: Insolubles %: 0.5

I know Jeep recommends M1 0w-40 for the CRD (which BTW is an API CF oil, an oil that IS NOT designed to be used in a diesel engine with an EGR system), but do you know for sure the factory fill is 0w40? I thought I read somewhere the factory fill is a special Europe only oil, either 5w-30 or 0w-30.

Also, why waste the time and money on a UOA on an oil sample with only 3200 miles?

Oh, and why no TBN? That's a very important indicator of oil life.

Good point, I have a 2005 Mercedes diesel which requires an oil meeting MB spec 229.5. The only two I have found are the Mobil 0w-40 and Elf Excellium Full Tech in 0w-30. Both are CF rated.
Mercedes and Mobil have a marketing relationship, and Mobil has at least two CI-4 diesel oils available, I'm not sure why Mercedes specs a CF for the diesel, but they do. By the way, 13,000 mile OCI

This definitely isn't Mobil 1 0w-40, as Mobil 1 0w-40 has Mo. (about 70ppm)

M1 0w-40, as with many 0w- and 5w-40s meeting 229.5, are designed for use in small, passenger-car sized diesel engines. If you're concerned about the M1 0w-40 not capable of doing the job (I have M1 0w-40 will do just fine), then run Amsoil 5w-40, which meets 229.5 (but is not MFG approved) as it'll stay in the solid 40wt range.

1. TexasTDI: I got the UOA to establish some kind of history - for my engine, and the engine in general. I've never seen one for this engine. Why are you wasting your time in this forum? A TBN after 3200 mi? Are you serious? Maybe when I start doing 12,000 mi I'll get it. I thought you were worried about wasting money. Sheesh.

2. Word of mouth was that the factory fill was M1 0W-40 as it is REQUIRED in the manual, with M1 5W-40 acceptable as a substitute. I also noticed the discrepancies in the chemical makeup from other M1 results.

3. I changed to Rotella syth 5W-40 on this interval, owner's manual be d**ned. So nobody get their panties in a bind.

It is weird, isn't it. They require it in the manual, but don't even put it in as the factory fill.
confused.gif

BMW318tiCS,

If it's not too much trouble, would you please tell us EXACTLY how the oil requirements are listed in your owner's manual? It can't be any screwier than my VW's.

Thanks in advance.

BUMP

BMW318tiCS,

If it's not too much trouble, would you please tell us EXACTLY how the oil requirements are listed in your owner's manual? It can't be any screwier than my VW's.

Thanks in advance.

most all euro common rail diesels are speccing car/light diesel oils these days. (and all the Japanese light diesels in this country also only spec a CF oil. Nissan in particular oppose later spec HDEO's) )
Remember, they aren't worried about the API spec, but whether it meets the relevent ACEA spec.

quote:

This definitely isn't Mobil 1 0w-40, as Mobil 1 0w-40 has Mo. (about 70ppm)

with that small a milage, it would be assembly lube.

Wavinwayne,

Looking at my CRD manual it syas:

"the manufcaturer recommends using synthetic engine oils that are API certified (SL/CF), and meet the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725.

Engine Oil Viscosity (2.8L Diesel Engines)
Use SAE 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil that meets API categories CF or better and the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725. If you cannot find SAE 0W-40, then SAE 5W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil is acceptable. Any engine oil that does not meet the manufacturer's requirements should not be used."

Hope it helps

quote:

I would imagine Mobil 1 5w40 Truck/SUV aka Delvac 1 would be a good oil for this engine?

Since it is a diesel oil, I would prefer it to the 0W-40 Mobil 1. I did use 0W-40 Mobil 1 on the last oil change simply because all the local Wall-of-China-Marts were out of the 5 quart jugs of Truck & SUV.

quote:

TexasTDI: Why are you wasting your time in this forum?

Wasting my time? Really? Why do you say that?

The only waste I see here is a UOA on a synthetic oil with 3200 miles.

quote:

A TBN after 3200 mi? Are you serious?

Yeah, I'm serious. Why not? $16 without TBN, $18.50 with TBN.

http://store.avlube.com/oilandfuanki.html

Don't be cheap. Spend the extra $2.50 for some very valuable information.

quote:

I thought you were worried about wasting money. Sheesh.

I'm not worried about YOU wasting YOUR money. I really don't care either way, I was just curious.

Why are you do defensive? Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back