Seized AC compressor FS10-21 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well haven't driven my truck much all winter and never used the AC when I did. The other day out of town on a camping trip I got a little warm and turned on the AC...no cold air, then smelled a burning smell. Turns out the compressor is seized and the clutch burned up. Glad it didn't ruin the belt instead. Truck is 96 F350 7.3dit with the FS10-21 compressor as far as I can tell.
Question- why is there a $100 difference in prices for compressor with clutch on the net, supposedly new? Another odd thing is some places like Advance want more for a rebuilt one than new?!?! What the heck?
Condensor and receiver drier was replaced a year and a half or so back due to a crack in condensor. I suppose I should replace the receiver drier again and some vendors require it to activate conpressor warranty.
Comments please?

the dryer is normally replaced anytime the system is exposed to air, as the dessicant will rapidly deplete and become useless. you COULD reuse one, some even recharge them by drying them out, but it's really not worth the risk. If I made compressors, I would place a core charge on the dryer, too. They can deplete in just a few hours of exposure to "normal" air.

the rebuilt may be made using higher labor costs (USA) while the new is made in Mexico using lower labor rates. (Most Ford F-150 and most of the components which also may be used on 250/350/+ are made in Mexico.) It's not necessarily an indicator of quality but it can affect final pricing, as done the sellers' overhead and costs to do business.

I have no problem using a quality rebuilt, but I would compare warranties. But with pricing like you are seeing, it seems a bit moot.

good luck.

You will also need to pull the Orface tube. This will tell you how contaminated the system is Plus you can flush the system out with the tube out.

Fords have very small passages in the condensor that cant be cleaned out. Do yourself a favor and spend the $175 and buy a new Condensor.

IMHO I won't use a rebuilt compressor. I fix Auto A/C for a living and I just have had too many come back and bite me.

Very few problems with new compressors compared to rebuilts. IMHO Four Seasons are by far the worst rebuilts.

The FS-10 (FX-15 for R-12 apps) is not a compressor that likes to be rebuilt. New is the only real choice. So far every new compressor I have received has lasted well in service. For years many "rebuilt" FX-15/FS-10 compressors were actually new compressors stuck in different boxes. AER tried to rebuild the compressors first and results were mixed to put it euphemistically. As far as I know 4 Seasons hasn't had much better luck with them.

I like to examine the orifice tube first for excessive fragments from the pistons/seals. If there is an excessive amount of debris, then I would think about either replacing the condenser or flushing it out, there are commercial flush kits available. Not every compressor failure is a "black death".

New orifice and accumulator is SOP for a compressor replacement. Verify clutch/pulley clearance is to spec on the replacement. I have gotten 2 in a row that had excessive clearance and made loud "click" noises on engagement.

Well got it all back together....there was NO oil in the compressor, but freon was good! One of the piston packs semicircular bearing pairs was stuck to the swash plate. Not bad, it popped loose with firm hand pressure. No debris in system so I lucked out there. In fact it looked so good I bet I could have lubed it put it back together and used it!
New compressor, O ring pack, receiver drier, orifice tube and I'm good.
BTW I'm kicking myself for not buying the case of 134 at Sam's Club a few months back for $20 something....now $76
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back