AmazonBasics Oil May Drive Prices Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are predicting that Amazon's offering their own brand of oil will drive consumer prices down for oil, overall.

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN Plus, dexos1-Gen2) 5W-30 is priced at $17.27 for 5 qts.

NOTE: Their "European Formula" 0W40 does not list any VW/Audi, BMW or MB certification on the bottle.

Last edited:
For all we know it could be ST so They make money!
They can get the cheapest oil that meets the spec. ... Like Costco Kirkland brand.

That oil is made by Warren Distribution... And it used to be found at Federated Auto for about the same price. Now it's $4 a quart there at FA.
The oil here will not effect anything I bet.

Originally Posted by knerml
They are predicting that Amazon's offering their own brand of oil will drive consumer prices down for oil, overall.

Who are "they"? Has Amazon directly affected pricing of any other product category with their own brand pricing?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Who are "they"? Has Amazon directly affected pricing of any other product category with their own brand pricing?

To name a few:
Bedding
Batteries
Mattresses
A/V cables
Office supplies
Housewares

I'm sure we can both think of more.

And remember, with Amazon it's the prime delivery and the excellent customer service that is part of the value proposition.

Lowest price (but not too low), great service, quick delivery.

It's winning the consumer over in droves.
Just ask Bezos' accountant...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I doubt oil prices are coming down because of Amazon's Basics Oil.

+1 especially with the bargain basement labeling that will not attract label readers

Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I doubt oil prices are coming down because of Amazon's Basics Oil.

+1 especially with the bargain basement labeling that will not attract label readers

thumbsup2.gif

I just bought super tech syn Dexos cert 5Qt bottle at walmart for $15 and some change. M1, Penz, QS Valv all 22 to 27 and change. For a 2 dollar premium maybe. For $12, No Way.

Rod

Last edited:
Above comments seem to indicate that some people do not understand the Amazon purchasing decision process.
1. The product is labeled AmazonBasics (this is like Sears selling Diehard, Craftsman and Kenmore 40-50 years ago)
2. Free prime shipping
3. 4.5 star ratings from many customers
4. Backed by Amazon customer service
5. Sold directly by Amazon, so other discounts apply

Amazon is going to sell a lot of oil and will put price pressure on retailers like Walmart.

Last edited:

Majority of folks buying oil through Amazon are buying it for one reason: Low price

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Majority of folks buying oil through Amazon are buying it for one reason: Low price

You mean low price buyers don't like fancy informative labels?
They are the ones that love a steal, not so much a bargain.

Originally Posted by knerml
Above comments seem to indicate that some people do not understand the Amazon purchasing decision process.
1. The product is labeled AmazonBasics (this is like Sears selling Diehard, Craftsman and Kenmore 40-50 years ago)
2. Free prime shipping
3. 4.5 star ratings from many customers
4. Backed by Amazon customer service
5. Sold directly by Amazon, so other discounts apply

Amazon is going to sell a lot of oil and will put price pressure on retailers like Walmart.

Notes
#1 Dumb move- a pretty label would cost no more and take the ho hum out of the label and product
#2 Free prime- Walmart doesn't charge you $119. a year for their free shipping over $35
#3 Most of those reviews are stupid and bogus
#4 Amazon customer service is no better than other high volume retailers
#5 Not an advantage at all- ST is already cheaper

The 5W-40 is ACEA A3/B4 and comes out to $5 a quart delivered, that's not bad. Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart is still a bit cheaper and carries more certs and approvals though.

I don't get the obsession with the label, who cares. What's printed on it is far more important unless "label beauty" is your primary concern when buying oil. Some individuals on here seem to focus on the unimportant I guess (or just have a weird grievance against Amazon.)

I just don't see how one brand will change the market, even if it's Amazon.

The target audience is the DIY guy. That already narrows the field as most people get it changed at the local quick lube, their mechanic, or the dealer.

There was a rumor that Amazon might be interested in the Sears auto centers. That would add to their bottom line but also bring in new expenses. It would still not be enough.

Most brand loyalty is due to fancy labels and advertising. ( the reality- we are talking market dominance)
Amazon has none of that and I'm ashamed that you brag up a oil that lacks many certs- lol
Me- I don't care either way. I wouldn't not use it but I'm not going to order any in the near future either.

Most brand loyalty is due to fancy labels and advertising. ( the reality- we are talking market dominance)
Amazon has none of that and I'm ashamed that you brag up a oil that lacks many certs- lol
Me- I don't care either way. I wouldn't not use it but I'm not going to order any in the near future either.

I didn't "brag up" anything, I said that was a pretty good price for an A3/B4 oil which it is.

I'm not ordering any in the near future either when I can go to Walmart for Castrol 0W-40 for about $4.80 a quart (and get all the "missing" certs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back