Torq and how many ELM327's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife went to leave this morning, but found a CEL. So she dutifully woke me up and I went to see what had tripped. Turns out I left my ELM327 BT dongle in the car I loaned out. How many of these cheapo dongles can I pair with my smartphone?

I have a Scanguage in the truck, with the cable nicely routed out of the way; of course that cable went MIA (or is in the car I loaned out). I have Techstream on a laptop that takes 5 minutes to boot & doesn't have a working battery (and there's no outlet near the cars). I'm tempted to just spend the money on yet another scanner.

Thanks. Might pick up another then.

Wife tells me now that it tripped the traction control light, so I would have needed Techstream at some point anyhow. I guess I know what tonight's project will be.

Originally Posted by supton
Thanks. Might pick up another then.

Wife tells me now that it tripped the traction control light, so I would have needed Techstream at some point anyhow. I guess I know what tonight's project will be.

Doesn't Toyota often disable Traction Control when the check engine light is on? I've never owned a Toyota so I'm not too sure I just see many Toyotas with both CEL and traction control lights on.

Last edited:
The combination of check engine light and VSC light can be triggered by a faulty gas cap. If is a speed sensor on one of the wheels it will light up Brake, ABS, AWD if present, and VSC lights but no check engine light.

Weird but good to know. Looking like I won't check until this weekend, too busy.

Techstream and a laptop will do what you need, if it's a Toyota. You may be shopping for a new laptop battery if its a Toyota or else you are looking at a $200+ scan tool like the Zurich VR13 or the Autel Maxi Diag pro tool to read/clear the ABS related codes (because Torque app on phone is incapable of retrieving and/or clearing ABS or any other chassis codes such as VSC).

Nah, I'm just being lazy--extension cord will work. I just don't want to do this at 10 tonight. Maybe tomorrow after dinner.

Murphy's Law and all. Wife needed the car this morning for a 300 mile round trip drive. Tomorrow it'll only get a couple of drives. Right now we're down a vehicle, nothing like great timing. Hopefully it's something stupid like a gas cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back