Amsoil for Chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a few of Amsoil's products in 2 cycle applications lately but with a couple new saws coming I thought I would ask the board about it.

Husky 3--XP series saws typicaly over 80cc with 50:1 factory ratio.

Older Poulan and Pioneer saws with 32:1 or 16:1 factory suggested ratios?

What Amsoil product at what ratio? I have used 100:1 ATC at that ratio and 50:1 AIO. What might be better for wear and long term use?

My suggestion is to use a quality oil of your choice and mix it at 32 to 1.

Those who claim certain oils are diluted are probably not as correct as they think they are. Amsoil makes fine products, however the claim that you can mix the oil at 100 to 1 because the oil is not diluted just does not make mathematical sense. Using Amsoil's logic, certain other brands of oil would have to be 50% diluted with a solvent as thin as gasoline.

Many 2 stroke oils are diluted with a "thinner oil" for various and obvious reasons. Such as pump flow during cold weather. Such minor dilution (generally less than 10%) does not affect performance. In addition, the dilutant is often a lubricant.

I just cannot understand this kind of logic! Why not run pure oil in your car for instance. Diluting motor oil with extreme pressure compounds, anti foam additives, detergents, anti wear compounds, viscosity index improvers and the like just dilute the base oil. Therefore pure oil would be better (NOT).

Well made 2 stroke oil is an enginnered product designed to do a particular job.

32 to 1 is a level of lubrication tested snd proven to perform in nearly all conditions. That is why race bike manufacturers generrally recommend that ratio. Of course, the EPA would like you to use less oil.

50 to 1 is a level of lubrication tested and proven to perform in applicaitons that have slightly less load, such as low powered engines and low stress engines such as outboards.

Once again, RPM is a key factor in engine load, in addition to ulitmate output. Consider piston speed to be the load factor. A good guess of low piston speeds would be anything under 3000 feet per minute.

Chris

Chris

I use the Amsoil 100 to 1 at about 32 to 1 mixture. I've got Echo products with over 15 years of hard farm running. For the chain saw and weed wacker, I use "alittle liquid" out the muffler and you've got enough oil in the gas method! Not too scientific, but hours of trouble free operation is all the proof I need!

The best Amsoil product to use is their new Sabre Professional, which is an improved,Smokeless, ISO-L- EGD version of their original, 100:1 oil. If you mix oil five gallons at a time, I'd mix eight ounces of the Sabre, which will give you a ratio of 83:1. I run the 100:1 at that ratio in my two Stihls and they run perfectly ....

The Sabre uses a very high molecular weight ester basestock and little or no stoddard solvent. You don' t want to go any richer than 80:1 with this stuff, as it simply won't burn clean.

If you want to stick with 50:1 for warranty reasons, the Dominator two stroke racing oil would be my recommendation. It's their new name for the Series 2000 Racing Oil ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/dixie_synthetics

quote:

You don' t want to go any richer than 80:1 with this stuff, as it simply won't burn clean.

Then its not a egd oil. as many of the egd tests are ran at very rich ratios.
If you are stuck on using amsoil i would use interceptor at 32-40:1.

High rpm, Air Cooled, two stroke Engines:

100:1, Sabre Professional - excellent. Note: Meets ISO-L-EGD specs, but ONLY when mixed @ lean ratio's. Based on my testing, it's smokeless when mixed @ 80:1 to 100:1.

Series 2000/Dominator Racing Oil (JASO FC) - Very Good

Interceptor (JASO FC) - Good

Hp Injector (TC-W3) - Not Recommended

Sabre 100:1 Outboard (TC-W3) - Not Recommended

The 100:1 is the very high temp formulation; Dominator is for high temps; Interceptor is for medium temps and the Hp is the low temp, TC-W3 formulation for watercooled, outboards.

Ted

Ted

I have run 100:1 before without bowing an engine but I do wonder about long term wear. Would an engine that should last 1000 hours only last 2-300 when running lean ratios even with a better oil. I will likely run in the 40:1-50:1 range in the new saws and 32:1 in the older stuff so the 100:1 would not be the best oil choice for this mix ratio. So we have come down to Interceptor or Dominator for these ratios. Blano why do you feel the Interceptor would be the best Amsoil choice for these ratios? Ted why Dominator? Would a chainsaw be as extreme as a motocross application and fall under the high heat high rev that a racing 2 stroke oil is designed for or might it contributed to fouling/buildup etc.

HK,
My practice on the older/vintage saws is to use a quality 50:1 dino oil mixed at 32:1. The seals & carb diaphragms are no doubt 15+ years old & a dino oil will not induce swell or shrinkage problems.

The older saws tend to be horizontal cylinder and/or reed valve designs and probably aren't as efficient at dispersing oil to the bearings & rings as today's power ported vertical cylinder designs.

No need to maintain a separate 32:1 mix can. What works for me is a 2 qt (32 oz.) glass pyrex mixing cup ($5 at Walmart)that I use to mix 1/2 oz oil to 16 oz of gas for a single chainsaw tank.

Tooslick:

It`s sure hard to erase old ways of doing things isn`t it??

If it was good enough for Gradpa then it`s good enough for me attitude.
grin.gif

quote:

It`s sure hard to erase old ways of doing things isn`t it??

If it was good enough for Gradpa then it`s good enough for me attitude.

Hasbeen, I'm curious. What does this comment actually mean & how does it add to the thread?

If you want to run 50:1 to 32:1, the Dominator will be better than the Interceptor, due to both the basestock and the specifics of the additive chemistry.

The Interceptor isn't a very high temp formulation - it's made to burn cleanly in watercooled PWC's, and snowmobiles that operate in subzero temps. The Dominator uses a higher molecular weight, ester basestock for better scuffing protection and a detergent based chemistry to prevent high temp carbon/varnish deposits. Clearly the better choice for chainsaws of any type.

I have used the Dominator/S2000, in my saws at 50:1 and they run ver well. You get a small amount of smoke at idle, but the plugs stay very clean and top end power is excellent. I'm not sure I'd run 32:1 with the stuff however, unless you have a saw that runs extremely hot.

Tooslick

The very problem with the Series 2000 racing oil, in recreational powersport applications, is that some of these watercooled motors don't run nearly hot enough to burn the thicker ester basestock. The Interceptor oil uses lower viscosity esters and even higher detergency to address this specific issue. Think of the Interceptor as an enhanced, TC-W3 type oil, but with reduced smoke and exhaust plugging to meet JASO FC specs.

I may have to run some @ 32:1 in my Stihls just to see, but I'll be surprised if they generate more power or smoke less than with the 100:1 stuff. BTW, the flashpoint of the 100:1 Sabre Professional has dropped from 507F to 214F, so it's not the same ester blend as before.

Tooslick, I am a part time logger in the off season. I have ran 24+ gallons of 32:1 pre mix(mx2t) through stihl, Husky and Dolmar saws since fall. The Stihls burn on the dirty side with any oil/ratio as they have antiquated port designs. The husky and Dolmar burn very, very clean.

The problem with series 2000 is the fact that it doesnt burn properly by virtue of its base stock. High molecular weight base stocks are bad for two cycle except for all but the highest stress applicatiolns. Shifter carts are the only one that comes to mind.

I discovered Oregon 2 cycle oil, formerly silver streak. I really like the oil. It doesnt smoke. The engines have plenty of power with it more so than any other oil i have used. My stihl chainsaws run very clean with it. I use it in every 2 cycle air cooled machine that i have. This oil meets iso-l-egd and jaso fc performance levels. I mix it at 50 to 1 ratio. My echo 2601 trimmers will be on their 4th season using this oil. No clogged exaust ports and they still run with plenty of power. I have a lawn care business and i stick with products that give good results.

quote:

The Interceptor isn't a very high temp formulation - it's made to burn cleanly in watercooled PWC's, and snowmobiles that operate in subzero temps.

This simply is not true. I would wager that pwc's and sleds have much higher piston and exhaust port temperatures than a chainsaw. Think about the use, time at wot, and load and this becomes apparent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back