How well do oil coolers work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats cool! Touring on a 81 550. You make all the "bikers" who bought harleys lately look like babies. I ride a harley but also have huge respect for the guys on any brand that actually ride their bikes.

As for the cooler, I'm on my third harley and never needed a cooler. Last week I rode down the coast of North Carolina in 104F heat index with no problems. Didnt even use a drop of oil.

Why do you think that most of the factory special vehicles from HD have oil coolers? If your bike is bone stock, a cooler is probably not needed. Most HD's are not left stock for very long. Any kind of engine modifications on a TC will elevate oil temps beyond what is normal.

Oil coolers are a good insurance policy for your engine. Modify your engine with ported heads, cams, larger bore and any kind of stroker crank and a cooler becomes a must.

I was thinking about buying a sportster and was pondering this very question. I think you guys need to think outside the box, dont buy traditional aftermarket or Harley specific parts, think up something a little more useful.

There is a little (like 6" square) tranny fluid cooler out there that includes a fan and thermostat to control the fan. On the oil line, you just include a motorcycle type oil thermostat that is set to whatever temp a Harley should optimally have (another discussion.) You then have no problems with warming up because the cooler will have no flow when the engine is cold, no problems with startup oil flow for the same reason, and you need no airflow for cooling in traffic, because the cooler has it's own fan which only cycles on when there is excess heat.

Maybe a little expensive, but probably less than some chrome aftermarket cooler, and will do the job right.

If you're talking about a 04' or newer Sportster, pass on the oil cooler. I run without one on my "staged" 1200C in South Texas. Combination of stop-n-go and 60 mph hiway traffic and and has never gone over 195 degrees oil temp.

quote:

Originally posted by Fatboymoe:
Why do you think that most of the factory special vehicles from HD have oil coolers? If your bike is bone stock, a cooler is probably not needed. Most HD's are not left stock for very long. Any kind of engine modifications on a TC will elevate oil temps beyond what is normal.

Oil coolers are a good insurance policy for your engine. Modify your engine with ported heads, cams, larger bore and any kind of stroker crank and a cooler becomes a must.

I think this is the real deal. If you're gonna keep it stock, with just Stage 1 and an exhaust change, then the oil temps are less likely to get beyond what is normal. More than this, though, and a cooler is needed to maintain the correct oil temps.

My FLHXI came from the dealer with a Stage 1 Big Bore kit, and I am adding H-D's "Super Premium" oil cooler... in fact, I am picking it up today. I also am replacing the useless air temp gauge that comes on non-Road King baggers with an oil temp gauge, and I had 'em put in the automatic primary chain adjuster, too. I can hardly wait to go pick it up!
fruit.gif

Recently, it's been over 110F around here, so it does get hot, but not for the length of time it is really hot in places like Texas, NM, AZ, etc. I just like the extra margin of protection, since I am planning on keeping this bike for the duration of my riding days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back