PP EURO 0W30 for a GOLF R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Garak

I thought you got lost, buried under a pallet of high VI oils that fell onto you.
wink.gif

Doug's (21Rouge) a friend and asked for my input; hence for my posting in this thread.

Much appreciated CATERHAM as i know this site can cause friction
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

VW 504.00/507.00 have tougher requirements when it comes to protection in 0/5W30 grade as VW504.00/507.00 are ONLY certified in those grades and not 0/5W40.

Thanks for clarifying that.
All the more reason to use just a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil grade which this thread is about.

BTW, would be interested in reviewing that 3,000 mile UOA you mentioned.

My UOA is somewhere in UOA section for both CC and Tiguan.
You misunderstood me. VW504.00/507.00 have high protection requirements ONLY in 0/5W30 grade. Any 0/5W40 oil that meets Porsche A40, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 (or 51) will have better protection then VW 504.00/507.00.
Only 0W30 oil that could meet Porsche A40 requirements long ago was Castrol 0W30 GC (which could not meet VW 504.00/507.00 due to strong additive pack). But when Porsche updated A40 around 2009 Castrol had to drop A40 from 0W30 GC.
So, yes, Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 FS are better oils when it comes to protection of engine then VW504.00/507.00. Not to mention longevity of TBN in 504/507.

Is this the UOA thread you are referring to?

jpeg/pdf is no longer accessible
frown.gif

M1 5W30 ESP UOA

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Is this the UOA thread you are referring to?

jpeg/pdf is no longer accessible
frown.gif

M1 5W30 ESP UOA

Yeah, well I will try to find pdf's.
Blackstone was saying I could do 5K, I on other hand highly doubt.

UPDATE:

With the second "deep cold" in our area starting last Thursday night I replaced the OEM oil (probably an xW40) just in time
wink.gif
with this PP EURO 0W30 (the 'thinnest' oil in Canada/(NAmerica?) that meets VW approval for this car (2018 Golf R)).

Last edited:
UPDATE:

With the second "deep cold" in our area starting last Thursday night I replaced the OEM oil (probably an xW40) just in time
wink.gif
with this PP EURO 0W30 (the 'thinnest' oil in Canada/(NAmerica?) that meets VW approval for this car (2018 Golf R)).

Based on some reports of new VW's, I would say initial oil fill is 0W30 ACEA A5/B5. I think they are doing it to bump up EPA mpg certification.

UPDATE:

wink.gif

Based on some reports of new VW's, I would say initial oil fill is 0W30 ACEA A5/B5. I think they are doing it to bump up EPA mpg certification.

That is interesting. Any web references you could post?

(FWIW the manual for the 2018 only mentions the use of (certified) 5W30 and 5W40 and good luck having a VW dealership stocking any 0W30)

Last edited:
UPDATE:

wink.gif

That is interesting. Any web references you could post?

(FWIW the manual for the 2018 only mentions the use of (certified) 5W30 and 5W40 and good luck having a VW dealership stocking any 0W30)

No references but I saw some UOA where initial fill was 0W30 (Atlas VR6) and in 1k oils thinned to 9.5cst. Either engine is diluting oil like crazy or VW used ACEA A5/B5 oils to bump EPA mpg (which might be confined to Atlas).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back