Harbor Freight Voltmeter Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Harbor Freight meter that had one of its leads pull out of its probe. They don't use common type plugs for their leads so I gotta do some research to find out where I can get replacement leads.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think I have 1/2 dozen of those free HF multi-meters. All still working except one that I smoked the Ohms function on by putting 115 VAC across it.
lol.gif
Still works on all the other functions though.

That's hilarious! Lol

Now I want to try it. lol

That's why those cheap meters can be very dangerous. That is one way to cause an arc flash explosion, since they have zero protection from that hazard. Do not get near your electrical panel with one of those.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVzDP1SdaTVsAmJRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaTZxcnFtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ4NThfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=arc+flash+from+cheap+multimeter&fr=yfp-t#id=3&vid=72aa38e188627b89154450a6a3cfe09c&action=view

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
I had a very high dollar Fluke that just [censored] out on me. It was probably 12-13 years old.

You can send them back to the factory and Fluke will repair them for a very reasonable charge.

I had to replace one of the battery leads after a battery corroded it. Thought it was just a bad battery too at first. They have a screw for calibration that you can set it to a good known meter reading.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think I have 1/2 dozen of those free HF multi-meters. All still working except one that I smoked the Ohms function on by putting 115 VAC across it.
lol.gif
Still works on all the other functions though.

That's hilarious! Lol

Now I want to try it. lol

I didn't get an "explosion" per say ... when I said "smoked" I just meant the Ohms function stopped working after probing a wall outlet with it still on the Ohms setting.

Originally Posted By: Traction
That's why those cheap meters can be very dangerous. That is one way to cause an arc flash explosion, since they have zero protection from that hazard. Do not get near your electrical panel with one of those.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVzDP1SdaTVsAmJRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaTZxcnFtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ4NThfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=arc+flash+from+cheap+multimeter&fr=yfp-t#id=3&vid=72aa38e188627b89154450a6a3cfe09c&action=view

This is how you post a link:
Yahoo LINK

And you can even add some color like this:
Yahoo LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back