Purflux LS245, 9494km (5900mi) - where's the ADBV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello forum.

I recently did the 610.000km oil change on my Saab 900 turbo 16. (I will share UOA when I get the results.) OCI was 9494km with Shell Helix Ultra 0w-30 AV-L; the filter in use was a Purflux LS 245. (Purflux has discontinued the LS245 in may and replaced it with LS188B.)

c3b6lundfilter.jpg

imgp8873.jpg

I wanted to try the Purflux for their ingenious zig-zag folding (which in theory allows for more media), and because I have seen some purflux filters that the adbv rubber is put under additional tension by some springy metal thing.

imgp8877.jpg

But behold! There is no ADBV on this filter! You can see that upper end cap and the ring/tube/whatever where the filter element meets the base plate are two seperate parts. But while this ring thing is springy in some online videos of other purflux filters, mine seems fairly rigid. I can force some play between it and the end plate, but only minimal and only with brute force. And above all, there is nothing - no rubber, plastic, whatever - that could be interpreted as an ADBV.

Am I missing something? Am I too stupid? Or did SoGeFi manufacture this line of filters without ADBV, or does mine just have a manufacturing defect?

More pictures to follow tomorrow.

Last edited:
AFAIK, don't Saabs have the oil filter oriented upwards? It's been a while since I looked at one and I could have swore that the filters on the pre-GM cars were normally mounted.

Images I see at Amazon UK for this application appear to show no adbv for the topic filter. Guessing thread/base end up application? Did you get any start up rattle?

OT Also interesting 'to me' is when I looked up cross reference to this filter, found one of them to be the Mahle OC981 and it brought me to another of your posts on that filter here . What is interesting is that filter shows similar inlet hole indentions in the adbv as is now seen in some Purolator filters posted.

Originally Posted By: nthach
AFAIK, don't Saabs have the oil filter oriented upwards? It's been a while since I looked at one and I could have swore that the filters on the pre-GM cars were normally mounted.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Images I see at Amazon UK for this application appear to show no adbv for the topic filter. Guessing thread/base end up application? Did you get any start up rattle?

It depends. On H-engines in 99/90 and 900, they are mounted dome-side-down (not perfectly vertical, but slightly slanted), on later H-engines like in the 9-5 the filter is mounted sideways (but very low). There was slight start-up noise with this filter, but the car has seen worse. I guess the very thin oil helped.

Quote:
OT Also interesting 'to me' is when I looked up cross reference to this filter, found one of them to be the Mahle OC981 and it brought me to another of your posts on that filter here . What is interesting is that filter shows similar inlet hole indentions in the adbv as is now seen in some Purolator filters posted.

These are only very superficial, and are barely visible under normal lighting. Flash brought them out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back