What field of study/job path would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Robotics. If they’re going to change the future of employment, might as well be the guy who services, programs and installs them.

That's why I suggested computer programming. They are in demand now, it's not hard. It's clean work and it's a well paying job already.

First question would be what he wants to do for the next thirty or forty years, since retirement prior to that seems unlikely these days for new entrants.
Mechanic type jobs are not viable for that length of time since few people can survive the physical demands for that many years as they age. Also, over the next few decades, personal vehicle ownership will decline and EVs will become the dominant form of personal transport, so the need for skilled techs will decline and their wages with that, although one member will still need someone to work on his vintage Civic Wagon.
Repair and maintenance of medical equipment or computer network pieces should be much less demanding physically and should be around as a career fro the next four decades.
OTOH, there is a huge and growing need for ATPs worldwide. Could this young man see himself as a pilot?
He'll pay his dues in low income for a decade, but should do pretty well after that.
Just a few thoughts from someone who's run his race and wonders what he might have done instead.
Now, if he's already had some formal training in diesels, then he might find a home at UPS or FedEx.
Still, he should set off on a career that he'll enjoy.
It ain't all about the money.

A lot of people here are saying he should go into some type of engineering. I would just say, unless he is REALLY good at math, don't bother. It will end badly. Engineering is a difficult degree and most kids prep for it while still in high school.
Given he is good at sales....it may be his best path. A college degree is kind of a prerequisite for that path unless he is really a charmer. But the degree for sales could be something much simpler than engineering.

If by chance he can get an engineering degree....then sales is still an option.

I couldn't agree more with those that said they need to find what they like to do.

I can only attest to my experience and respond about the comments pertaining to engineering only: engineering is very tough; all of them. Math (and typically Physics) is heavy. If they are up to the task, then great!

Yeah, most people can't hack a 4 year engineer degree. It's much more difficult than the average person thinks it is.

Lots of good paying jobs with a 2 year associates degree.

He would have known by late high school if engineering/computer science is in his future, because by age 20 he would have taken advanced math and science classes in HS already. If he hasn't, then he likely isn't interested in the field. College-level math, statistics and science for those fields are very rigorous, and if he doesn't enjoy studying them, he won't be able to keep up with other engineering students (who all excel in math/science).

Bear in mind that those fields have a limited career life expectancy (like athletes). If you go into computers/tech, you should be financially secure by age 45-50 because it's hard to get a job after that age.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
He would have known by late high school if engineering/computer science is in his future, because by age 20 he would have taken advanced math and science classes in HS already. If he hasn't, then he likely isn't interested in the field. College-level math, statistics and science for those fields are very rigorous, and if he doesn't enjoy studying them, he won't be able to keep up with other engineering students (who all excel in math/science).

For me, math and science were not the same thing as engineering. When I started college I enjoyed physics, chemistry and math but kept hearing my colleagues say they couldn't wait for them to be over so we could get to the "real" engineering classes. About my junior year when the core BSME classes hit, things went sour to say the least. I hated those classes. I stuck it out just to graduate but I've never really had much of a job in the subsequent 35 years that had anything to do with engineering (and I'm happy with that).

When I was in high school I equated a liking for science as a predisposition for engineering, which now looking back was a mistake. I'll also disagree with you a bit on your last statement, I found that not all good engineers excel in math and science. Some or many do not. They were not good at it and only looked at it as a necessary evil to getting a degree in engineering.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
When I was in high school I equated a liking for science as a predisposition for engineering, which now looking back was a mistake. I'll also disagree with you a bit on your last statement, I found that not all good engineers excel in math and science. Some or many do not. They were not good at it and only looked at it as a necessary evil to getting a degree in engineering.
My experience having gone through an accredited BSEE program at a major university (late 70's to early 80's)was that I wasn't a very good test-taker, but I aced all lab work. Lab practicals & finals came naturally as I excelled at lab work. Unfortunately, they don't count near as much as taking tests.

I found it very odd during all that time I never had to pick up a soldering iron! Fortunately, I learned this valuable skill in jr. high and tinkered a lot with old gear.

I'm a bit concerned with how engineering is being sold in HS by those who don't understand what it really is. It's not playing with robots or rockets as in some STEM programs. It's really difficult, tedious studying, learning, understanding number-crunching and difficult concepts. Labs were a relief in contrast. However, I kept thinking "so when am I going to learn how to build my own 100W/ch audio power amplifier?" When I went through, transformer-coupled outputs were still being taught! Push-pull power amps??? We never got to that. Some active filters, but not much.

Back to the OP...given the cost of post HS education these days, it's very expensive to 'find yourself' by taking several different classes to see what you like. When I was enrolled, you could do that as expenses were dirt cheap compared to now. Further, many universities want YOU GONE in four years! Gotta make room so we can enroll more fish.

Given this, "Parachute" thinking is critical to examining yourself, your interests, habits, likes, dislikes, apptitudes, etc. It truly is homework about yourself: It's not just a grade.

This "everyone should go to college" nonsense is just that: non-sense. Further, it degrades those who work with their hands and the trades, which is ridiculous and ^%$#! (My jr high had a large wood shop; full of serious old-school machinery).

If more HS kids had a chance to explore using their hands & the trades and "get the feel" of it, I'm betting fewer would feel "lost". A good deal of education comes from doing, experimenting, trying-it-out, investigating, etc. not just reading about it in some book.

/rant

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hey everyone, looking for some input on this.

Being a mechanic can be a grind, dirty, injury prone etc. I would have him get a 2 year associates degree in electronics. Then use that towards repairing hospital equipment/machines for GE Healthcare or one of their rivals. Then he can make good money as a field service/technician with benefits.

I'd definitely apply with Intuitive working on robotics if I was starting out today. Lots of fields to pursue with an electronics background.

https://www.intuitivesurgical.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back