2016 Traverse M1 0W40 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: danielLD
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Maybe things have changed, but I thought "thin was in" on BITOG
sick.gif

most on here automatically recommend a thicker oil.

That's B$...you are taking "be careful of MOFT", and the reasons that certain grades are specced in particular countries and turning it into a 20W60 strawman....

(All the while refusing to answer even the most simple questions on lubrication systems, and MOFT)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Maybe things have changed, but I thought "thin was in" on BITOG
sick.gif

most on here automatically recommend a thicker oil.

That's B$...you are taking "be careful of MOFT", and the reasons that certain grades are specced in particular countries and turning it into a 20W60 strawman....

(All the while refusing to answer even the most simple questions on lubrication systems, and MOFT)

lol swearing violates the BITOG rules.

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
Yep, Started out and sheared to that range. Crazy in only 5k miles.

This being a GM HFV6 engine with what appears to be 50% short tripping, I would bet on fuel dilution as the primary cause of the decrease in viscosity.

2. This UOA is not accurate, at all....

3. Due to the way that the MicroLab works, it's actually decent when it comes to catching chromium. Chromium at 20,000 is a very bad indicator. As a professional UOA analyst it tells me one of two things. A. You did not break this engine in properly at the beginning or B. it's straining somewhere along in the EP area. I find most people never break in their engines properly as it usually involves speeds that will get you a nasty ticket or a quick trip to jail.

The iron came out 11 ppm and the Chromium 1 ppm. That's all we can go by. Where does the notion of 20,000 ppm/ppb(?) even come from? Wouldn't be surprised if the 11.0 cSt viscosity was in error (transposition, typo, poor analysis).

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

2. This UOA is not accurate, at all....

3. Due to the way that the MicroLab works, it's actually decent when it comes to catching chromium. Chromium at 20,000 is a very bad indicator. As a professional UOA analyst it tells me one of two things. A. You did not break this engine in properly at the beginning or B. it's straining somewhere along in the EP area. I find most people never break in their engines properly as it usually involves speeds that will get you a nasty ticket or a quick trip to jail.

The iron came out 11 ppm and the Chromium 1 ppm. That's all we can go by. Where does the notion of 20,000 ppm/ppb(?) even come from? Wouldn't be surprised if the 11.0 cSt viscosity was in error (transposition, typo, poor analysis).

1ppm of Chromium at 20,000 miles is what I meant.

Bitog reference

That old post suggests 10-30 ppm chromium could be acceptable. 0-1 ppm would be almost be in the error of analysis. It could also come from dirt infiltration, not necessarily the rings. 1 ppm of "anything" on a UOA wouldn't concern me much...unless it was Co60 or U235.

Bitog reference

That old post suggests 10-30 ppm chromium could be acceptable. 0-1 ppm would be almost be in the error of analysis. It could also come from dirt infiltration, not necessarily the rings. 1 ppm of "anything" on a UOA wouldn't concern me much...unless it was Co60 or U235.

Chromium is read by ICP to a very high level of accuracy.

10-30ppm is not acceptable. Ring material. Have yet to see chromium from dirt ingress.

Bitog reference

Chromium is read by ICP to a very high level of accuracy.

10-30ppm is not acceptable. Ring material. Have yet to see chromium from dirt ingress.

Well, apparently some people have seen Cr infiltrate from dirt. Not too hard to believe since the Chromium in your food (an essential trace element for health) comes from the soil....ie the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back