What field of study/job path would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Marine engine guys (Mercury, Ilmor, Volvo Penta) make more money than the car guy and there aren't enough of them.

Here along the lower Great Lakes a couple of the traditional auto repair places are now advertising they work on marine engines. I notice they've tacked that onto the end of their radio ads.

Industrial Engineering ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Marine engine guys (Mercury, Ilmor, Volvo Penta) make more money than the car guy and there aren't enough of them.

Here along the lower Great Lakes a couple of the traditional auto repair places are now advertising they work on marine engines. I notice they've tacked that onto the end of their radio ads.

Not surprising. skills probably overlap about 80/20.

Any auto school can teach him the automotive side.

If he can learn the marine 20% and pick up a few speciality tools and hes any good at all - he'll be busy his whole life.

Between inboards outboards, rigging and electronics there is so much work it boggles the mind.

I might even hire the kid....

UD

Last edited:
Though not as fun as it was in the past, engineering can be rewarding to a talented person bent in that direction.

I keep hearing about technician jobs in the medical field can sometimes be even more rewarding.

Auto mechanics can be physically tough to continue up to retirement. I would recommend against it for that reason. He can always wrench at home. There's always plenty to do there.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Just having turned 30, attended college but yet to finish a degree, and now having 10 years with a company I was never passionate about, I fully support a 20 yr old enlisting in the military; Air Force specifically. If only I had my 20 year old knees right about now, I'd be finishing up BMT and off to tech school in a maintenance related field.

You can still sign up since the maximum age to join has been raised.

https://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

You're still young at 30. Losing weight can help with knee pain.

I've got a knee surgery on my med record that needs a waiver I have yet to attain. Not trying to threadjack though.. lol

Engineering is the choice if math skills are there. Welding is a lost trade, always in demand. I agree with the marine industry, even fresh water inland lakes he will be making a mint. Almost any of the trades can be life long careers... a good machinist will always have work.

Sounds like me but im 35 y.o. if he isnt driven to do a mechanic course try to find work with the same telecom but that is more national. Like a call center, or get into SMB support for the telecom. Alot of companies have account reps and many other more career oriented roles that likely pay better as well. If I was his age, id go into mechanics to learn how to fix things and just to learn but doubt id want to work in that field. What about being a field tech for his telecom? Many options but reality is, he will need to be the driven one to seek out something he would like. Shadow others in different roles, great way to get an idea of job duties without overly investing.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Military

Should have mentioned, due to asthma I don't believe he is military eligible, correct me if I'm wrong!

I have asthma and in 1964 they drafted me with no problems.
Is he paying for his own schooling?
If not doing so may help him make up his mind.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I should add, he does have 2 or 3 semesters of auto & diesel mechanics classes done, with a multitude of tools

Diesel mechanic. Not enough qualified ones to go around because most people would rather become an auto mechanic.
I'm a semi mechanic for UPS and make $35 an hour with good benefits. Going diesel allows you to get a high paying job with good benefits working for a city/township/state/public transit/public school bus garage... .
I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer starting out and it sucked. I get to retire at 57 working for UPS.

I have bachelor's and master's degrees in mechanical engineering. And yes, you definitely need good math skills.

Engineering is a great background for almost anything. In my case: Medicine, Family Practice, Occupational Medicine Specialty Practice and finally Management. I had a wonderful career. Never a dull moment.

Trades can make for a fine career too: welding, electrical, electronics, pipe-fitting, heavy duty mechanics, diesel mechanics, and many others.

There are many other great careers too. Firefighter must be one of the best. Park warden would have to be another. Farmer/Rancher could be great if you're so inclined. Policing could be one of the very best, but I think you'd have to be selective.

Ultimately the OP's relative has to decide what he wants to do cause he'll be doing that job every day.

Trades are very good... but some are a lot more difficult than others.

I spent 30 years doing the same trade and enjoyed it, other people might have hated it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Read "What Color Is Your Parachute" by Richard Bolles. Be sure to do all of the exercises.

+1 on this. the key characteristic is initiative and goal that the person has to find themselves.

if the subject doesn't even want to put in the effort to find out what they want you aren't going to succeed by telling him what to do. he has to walk his own path a bit.

they have targettrd versions of this book too like for highschoolers and college students.

my advice is you can buy him this book (or similar) and set deadlines to check up on it with him. i think usually there is a forward that helps motivate.

If that doesnt work or he doesnt show any effort, perhaps you need to jumpstart by having him watch some motivational speakers or ted talks on youtube so he can get pumped up. unfortunately i dont know what vids personally are good, but they are many.

I am sure to be flamed for this, but your union locals and ask about apprentice training. A journeyman union card is worth a lot. Another one is certified heavy equipment operator, bulldozers, scrapers, etc. You do not have to work union. But the card proves you have good training. It is not easy like folks think.

Rod

It needs to be a blend of passion about a field and a field where there are a lot of well paying jobs. People get degrees in fields they love but end up realizing there are few jobs.

There are many well paying IT jobs in various areas. Just make sure it's not a area likely to be off-shored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back