ESPN replaces NBC for F1 in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So would the "world feed" be Sky F1? All the video, even NBC, is from the world feed.

NBC uses the world feed and commentates over it (other than the Will Buxton segments). They also do some of their own replay and graphics but most of what you see is the world feed provided by F1. There really isn't any other way of doing it as F1 won't allow "foreign" TV cameras on the track.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
ESPN has been suffering huge viewership losses in the past year or two. That's not good for F1 if they want to expand their audience. In my area Fox Sports has been showing the races and qualifiers.

ESPN lost me....I don't know why these 'sports' outlets feel that we want to hear their politics.....

I'm so glad our satellite TV company got greedy and wanted more money for TSN, our F1 provider so we dropped it. Now I just watch the british SKY Sports feed online whenever its convenient for me, with zero commercials and excellent commentating from Martin Brundle and live updates/interviews with a team principal on the pit wall.
They also have an hour pre and post race, all the practice sessions and qualifying. I have watched NBC and it was terrible.

Maybe I'm just not used to the SKY coverage having not seen as much? I like the NBC team better based on what I have seen. Conventional wisdom says I'm wrong but that's OK.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The races just aren't interesting anymore. Most of the time it's all follow the leader. Something or other is always "under investigation". One would almost think you're watching a political show. Because that's what it always seems to turn into. Now with it going to ESPN, I'm not looking for any improvement. I hope I'm wrong. But if I'm not, I doubt I'll get through another season of this bore fest. I can only kid myself for so long.

If you guys do wind up with the Sky audio feed, you might enjoy Martin Brundle. As Carmudgeon posts, things haven't changed at all. Watch any race over the last four decades on YouTube that hasn't been nixed. It's the same complaints, often by the same people.

I've seen older races with Coulthard commentating because he was benched, as opposed to being a full time BBC commentator, or Martin Brundle commentating when he lost his seat temporarily, versus him commentating all the time now. Or, I've seen Martin Brundle approached by the grid walk, rather than conducting it. I've heard how pit stop strategy makes the race, how you can't follow because of the tires, how the tires don't last long enough, how aero makes passing impossible, how costly things are.

Indylan: If you still did have TSN, it's all the Sky stuff anyhow. The commercials are terribly annoying. Most pre-race and post-race stuff is there, but I don't watch all of it. I like Johnny Herbert's People, or whatever he calls it, and the grid walk is always nice.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I like the NBC team better based on what I have seen.

Not to say there's anything wrong with the NBC team, but I suggest you'd like the Sky team. Bernie criticised them for being too technical for ordinary fans, but you're knowledge is more than sufficient to appreciate what's being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back