How much residual oil leftover after oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll discuss my Saab 9-5 Turbo.

Saab say a 'service fill' is 4.0L. This is sump+filter. However there is quite a large oil cooler which I have measured to hold just under 1L including the oil lines that lead to it. As some of you may remember these engines are known sludgers, and I suspect that this 20% of bad oil lef tin the oil cooler did indeed have its part to play. A full fill is quoted at 4.8L I think.

For that reason I detach the oil cooler every service and let it all drain over night. Doing a nit time drain nets close to 150mm extra.

The good news is that in Australia, oil is sold in 5L bottles. So I get to use 1 full bottle with no wastage or left overs each service. Noting wrong with a little extra as the 2.3L Saab engines consume a little, even though it's smoke and drip free.

Since I started doing this I've noticed that the oil stays 'looking' clean for close to 1500kms, vs only a couple of hundred if you don't drain the oil cooler.

Regards
Jordan

P.S: If you pull the cam cover, the design of the head hols close to 100mm in various low points. If I get excited, I'll blot it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back