Martini Cocktail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon's, while inexpensive and seemingly "pedestrian" is a solid gin. In the same vein, I also recommend Greenall's. Gordon's is US made and Greenall's is from the UK, but both retain their original recipes as traditional London Dry gins and both make excellent gin drinks. AND, both are very good values.

My bottle of Gordon's says it is imported and bottled in CT...but that it is a "PRODUCT OF CANADA", for whatever that's worth.

Update.

I decided to go buy the vermouth and gin to try making my own Martini at home. I figured I could mess around with the ratio to see what I liked.

I used Bombay Sapphire for the gin.

Martini Rossi for the vermouth. I got both the dry and sweet versions.

It turns out I actually like vermouth. So in my case, I would want up to a 1:1 ratio of vermouth to gin.

So in the future, if I am at a bar, it shouldn't be a problem to ask the bartender to make a "martini" with a 1:1 ratio right?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Update.

I decided to go buy the vermouth and gin to try making my own Martini at home. I figured I could mess around with the ratio to see what I liked. I used Bombay Sapphire for the gin. Martini Rossi for the vermouth. I got both the dry and sweet versions. It turns out I actually like vermouth. So in my case, I would want up to a 1:1 ratio of vermouth to gin. So in the future, if I am at a bar, it shouldn't be a problem to ask the bartender to make a "martini" with a 1:1 ratio right?

You are correct. I believe that sweet vermouth makes a "legitimate" martini, too. Martini bars were a thing around here in the 90s and they really stretched the definition of "martini" (chocolate martini, anyone?). Vermouth is flavored, fortified wine. If you like vermouth, the brand and type you use WILL make a big difference in your drink. I've seen multiple web sites with vermouth reviews, a few of which might be worth your time. Bombay Sapphire is a solid gin and will probably make a decent martini, though, I think the regular version of Bombay might work better. Taste is very individual, but I think a more savory gin (think juniper, licorice root, and angelica heavy gins) makes for a good martini. Overall, it's a very trial-and-error process. I would probably not have much luck moving a home recipe to a bar because most bars do not carry a wide assortment of gins and my favorites are very unlikely to be offered.

A drink called "The Perfect Martini" uses a 50/50 mix of sweet and dry vermouth with the gin.

As a bartender I've enjoyed this thread. You should never shake a martini, especially with vermouth, as it waters the cocktail down considerably. Pour about 1/2 ounce of dry vermouth into a chilled martini glass, swirl the glass 3 times and pour the vermouth out. Put one olive, or twisted slice of lemon rind, into the glass and pour 2 ounces of chilled (by stirring with ice in a mixing tin or glass) vodka or gin.

Originally Posted By: PW01
As a bartender I've enjoyed this thread. You should never shake a martini, especially with vermouth, as it waters the cocktail down considerably. Pour about 1/2 ounce of dry vermouth into a chilled martini glass, swirl the glass 3 times and pour the vermouth out. Put one olive, or twisted slice of lemon rind, into the glass and pour 2 ounces of chilled (by stirring with ice in a mixing tin or glass) vodka or gin.

So "shaken not stirred " is a bad idea?

I am not a mixologist, but my understanding is that you always stir strong spirity drinks to avoid watering them. "Shaken not stirred" is just a cool line from a movie or book when applied to a martini. But, maybe, James Bond like his martinis (or Vespers) watered a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back