What year did the Civic get a timing chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with a 2007 Civic LX Automatic that he has owned since new. It has 365k miles, he drives it mostly on the highway but does drive it hard with frequent full throttle acceleration. It is definitely getting tired engine wise, but still runs perfectly and drives great. Oil changes every 6.5 to 10k based on OLM done at dealer.

Repairs have been,

Sunvisor which he rigged with screws and glue,
Starter motor around late 100k miles
Ac compressor clutch failure around 150k and again at 360k

It has never left him stranded and still he will frequently take the car on 2k mile trips.

Maintenance wise it has had a couple sets of front pads, 1 set rear shoes, plugs @ 200k, rear shocks at 365k, drive belt late 200k and it still looked fine, a few ATF drain and fills, and a few batteries of course.

Its a great car, if you rode in it you would believe it only had 100k on it if that. No rattles, no drama, it just works.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
If that 2009 was built later in the year it has the updated block which is very good. You can use the VIN to find out.

The 09's have a lot of nice updates over the 06-08. They look nicer. I have a 2010 and my wife has a 2008. Great cars!

How can I use the VIN to find out if it has the updated block?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Somebody needs to reintroduce gears...

Why? I've never had any issues with chains...I just don't like belts...

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

My grandson has owned a 2009 Civic LX since new. The only complaints he's had is the high wear rate on the factory brake pads

Just sounds like the brakes are not being serviced often enough or properly. OE pads should easily last 100k km.

Love my 2010 Si (K series engine with a chain). The K series is probably the best mass produced engine Honda ever offered. Flog it all day at the track and it does not care. With a good set of winter tires, is unstoppable in the winter slush/snow/ice, even lowered.

The factory Honda/Akebono pads might last that long.

The aftermarket Akebono pads lasted 25,000 miles, and they were literally falling apart when the rotor hit the squealer. True I only pad slapped it when I installed them, but everything was greased properly, and the calipers were still working just fine. Did another pad slap with Advance Auto Platinum.

Not my car. The owner takes a sick kid back and forth to Baptist hospital in Winston-Salem, NC round trip about 150 miles some times twice a day depending on how sick he gets on the chemotherapy.

Originally Posted By: grampi
If that 2009 was built later in the year it has the updated block which is very good. You can use the VIN to find out.

The 09's have a lot of nice updates over the 06-08. They look nicer. I have a 2010 and my wife has a 2008. Great cars!

I will try to find it today. There is a list that shows what VIN's were affected.

Originally Posted By: hondb20
100K KM on pads? I've switched to the centric extended wear (cleaned and maintained spring/summer) and I've never seen beyond 60k. They chew up pads quickly due to their size.

I see it every day. On my own Civic, I replaced the rear pads for the first time at 155k. That includes some track time. Rotors are still original.

Last edited:

Google search, "honda service bulletin 10-048" and then click the first link. It will be a pdf and shows the affected VIN range.

Last edited:

Google search, "honda service bulletin 10-048" and then click the first link. It will be a pdf and shows the affected VIN range.

Thanks! I looked up the 4 Civics I've been looking at, two of them are on this list...

I'm going to look at 3 Civics tomorrow. One is an '09 (which has the newer engine block) with 61K miles, one is a '10 with 99K miles (might as well say 100K), the other is an '11 with 79K miles. Asking prices for all 3 are in the $6500 to $7K range. Are there any significant difference between these year models that would make one more desirable than the others?

I'm going to look at 3 Civics tomorrow. One is an '09 (which has the newer engine block) with 61K miles, one is a '10 with 99K miles (might as well say 100K), the other is an '11 with 79K miles. Asking prices for all 3 are in the $6500 to $7K range. Are there any significant difference between these year models that would make one more desirable than the others?

Nope, the 2009 to 2011's are exactly the same. Do you know what trim level you want? Most Civic's are either a LX or EX. The EX adds sunroof, 4 wheel disk brakes, alloy wheels, 60/40 split folding rear seat, variable intermittent wipers, outside temperature display, you can open the trunk with the keyfob, steering wheel audio controls and a 6 speaker audio system instead of 4.

The EX is definitely nicer but the LX, which I have, is just fine too.

Let us know what you do.

Nope, the 2009 to 2011's are exactly the same. Do you know what trim level you want? Most Civic's are either a LX or EX. The EX adds sunroof, 4 wheel disk brakes, alloy wheels, 60/40 split folding rear seat, variable intermittent wipers, outside temperature display, you can open the trunk with the keyfob, steering wheel audio controls and a 6 speaker audio system instead of 4.

The EX is definitely nicer but the LX, which I have, is just fine too.

Let us know what you do.

I believe all 3 are LXs...

The 2011 is out...just found out it's a reconditioned vehicle that was in an accident...

The Civic is out, my current Corolla is back in. I took it to my mechanic this morning and he said the engine is fine, it's the catalytic converter that's bad. The left front wheel bearing is bad also...fixing both will be way less expensive than buying another car....maybe the Corolla will see 400K after all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back