Future oil change method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think everyone should do it once in order to get a driver's license!

I'd be glad if engineers had to do that before a design is approved.
Taking the intake off in order to change spark plugs is just dumb.
mad.gif

I drive my car up on Rhino ramps. The hardest part is getting the tires centered on the ramps; once that's done, the actual oil change is a breeze.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
... How about just getting rid of the "archaic" task of having to get under the vehicle for service. It wouldn't be that expensive to engineer a way to change the oil & filter from the engine bay.
Good idea! My '81 Mazda was engineered that way. So was our 1966 F-100 I-6, if you had long enough arms, or stood in the engine bay.

The Prius is a giant leap backward on that front.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I drive my car up on Rhino ramps. The hardest part is getting the tires centered on the ramps; once that's done, the actual oil change is a breeze.

Our 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer even on the Rhino ramps is still a bear to change the oil filter, it's buried in the 4WD suspension, The 1996 2.0L Zetec Contour I can drain the oil while on the ground. However to change the oil filter it's best to jack up the passenger side, remove the wheel then the filter while the suspension is drooping. Otherwise it's a real bear to try to get the filter out from the compressed suspension. On the bright side our new 2017 2.3 EB is a breeze to change the oil on the Rhino ramps, incredibly easy to do for a modern vehicle
banana2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
To operate a piece of equipment properly, you should know how it works. Made my wife change the oil on our car, she even serviced the brakes.
I would settle for just having any driver know what to do if they see an Oil Pressure Low light (pull over when safe). And certainly the importance of checking oil level once a month at least & looking for oil puddles/drops under the engine routinely.
Then there is the importance of pre-ride walk-arounds to look at tires and maybe check pressure.

Actually working on the car (changing oil, etc.)??? Not necessary at all.
I'd be satisfied with just reading the Owners Manual. And the manual that comes with any appliance, especially computers and printers. When my wife mentions anything to do with her printer/computer, I suggest she pack it up and take it to our local repair guy. Printer wasn't printing according to "Chopper" because three of six ink cartridges were depleted. Any complaint about her computer and/or printer, "take it down to Chopper. Not going to get involved. Too much grief and I don't need that in my final years. "Take it somewhere."
21.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Yep granddaughters need this experience too!

I think everyone should do it once in order to get a driver's license!

Good one!
01.gif

At 70 I still change my own oil and filter. I have done it my whole life, but also realize there are plenty of folks who don't want to be bothered or have the time. That is what keeps the local garages in business. I say to each his or her own and nothing wrong with either. If I live long enough I am sure at some point I will supporting my local garage.

Yeah I've seen this and don't really like it. I will forever prefer doing all of my own maintenance and choosing my own oil and filter. It essentially abstracts the lube system into a sealed mystery box, I don't like that. It's like a K-Cup for oil, [censored] no.

What I think would be better is something similar to this, keeps all of the things Nexcel does like pumping the oil from the sump into this cell, but you get to open up the cell and replace the cartridge filter and pour out the old oil and put in your new oil and then put the cell back in. This essentially means that instead of draining oil out into a pan and then pouring that into a jug and recycling that, the car keeps the jug inside and you re-use that jug/cell and it contains all of the disposable lubrication components like the oil and filter. Less plastic waste than Nexcel.

This would make oil changes even easier than they already are. They could drive to a recycling facility, pop out the cell, recycle the oil and filter and pour in the new oil and put in a new filter right in the parking lot and away they go. Or they can do all of this at home and just empty the cell into a jug and bring the jug and the used filter to the facility.

The cell would have a drain valve that they can hook up some vinyl tubing to, to make it easier to drain either into a jug with the tubing or just open it up and let it pour at the recycling facility.

So the British nearly had it sorted 60 years ago. On most motorcycles there was an oil tank bolted with a couple of bolts and two hoses to the frame, pretty easy to change the oil. But in this era, you could just unbolt the tank, take it your dealer, get a new tank of oil and bolt it back on your bike. A missed opportunity.

Manufacturers locating the filter in the engine bay is easy enough. (Had a Porsche with that feature) Designing a system to Change the oil from the engine bay wouldn't be much harder. These changes will not happen for the obvious reason. : Dealers & manufacters kinda like it when folks come in to have their oil changed. They have to drive past them nice shiny new cars. Btw how efficient is a good fluid extractor on a given cars oil sump? Can they remove say 90% of what you'd get by just draining it?

These changes will not happen for the obvious reason. : Dealers & manufacters kinda like it when folks come in to have their oil changed. They have to drive past them nice shiny new cars.

On the flip side:

1. Remember that each Nexcel has a chip in it to verify that it's legit before the car starts. That could allow manufacturers to put a lot more pressure on owners to get officially sanctioned oil change kits, funneling more oil change business toward the manufacturer and away from quick lube shops.

2. Tighter control over oil and filter quality could save the manufacturers a lot of money on R&D and warranty claims.

3. I think it's safe to say there will still be a LOT of people who will still go to the dealer or a shop. Of the people who don't DIY, sure some will be tempted by the ease of doing it this way, but most still won't want to mess with it. And even if they do, where are they going to get their next Nexcel?

Btw how efficient is a good fluid extractor on a given cars oil sump? Can they remove say 90% of what you'd get by just draining it?

In my car, I can actually get slightly more with an extractor than I'd get by just draining it.

The OE's have been moving to evacuating the oil through the dipstick tube for quite a few years now. It's how we perform the majority of our oil changes.

It's a much faster service time. Due to the deign of the oil pans you actually end up evacuating more oil from the engine than you would have if you drained through the plug. The difference is sometime as much as 1/2 a liter.

If any of our vehicles featured a top (engine bay) mounted oil filter I would get a fluid extractor. On our old suburban I use a hand pump with hose down the transmission fill tube. Only gets out about 2.5 qts but every 5k that's just enough.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted : http://www.motortrend.com/news/your-next-car-might-change-its-own-oil-technologue/ : Not enough info to really evaluate this system. Initial impression : Seems incredibly bulky, expensive, weight distribution seems wrong. I'm sure theirs more to it then what's listed in the article. Got me thinking though. How about just getting rid of the "archaic" task of having to get under the vehicle for service. It Wouldn't be that expensive to engineer a way to change the oil & filter from the engine bay.

There have been a couple of previous threads on this concept. It's always struck me as a solution in search of a problem.
Costly, heavy and proprietary but no easier than the traditional method.
Simple and proven tech is often preferable to the re-invention of the wheel.

I'll stick with crawling under the car. Good excuse to get away. Plus I like seeing if I can see light through the draining oil or not. Gives me an idea of how clean the oil is. I've been changing at 7500miles and recently learned that with SN oils I could have been doing 10k

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I don't get under to change the oil in my Benz. Filter up top and suck oil through tube.

+1

I still have to pull the drain plug, but I hove the topside filters on the Mini and the BMWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back