Reusing Oil Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't get 12K (2x6K) on an Ultra, I feel as if I threw money down the sewer.

The only reason to change sooner is when engine-innards are gunked-up, or the top quality Ultra just reached two years-old.

Mitsu recommends changing filter every other also. Unless it's severe service. I'm running an Ultra now, so I may run it for two. If you purchase six pack of 9688 on ebay and it comes approx 4.60 each. Not bad! I've always changed the filter. So, I have some pondering to do....

When filters are so cheap and last easily for over 8 to 10 miles with good synthetics why would you do this???????????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
When filters are so cheap and last easily for over 8 to 10 miles with good synthetics why would you do this???????????

That's the shortest OCI I've ever seen on here.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Holy thread revival.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
If going through the trouble to try and "wash out" an oil filter, which is a bit sketchy anyway, just put a new filter on.

People who use an oil filter for multiple OCIs are typically using a long duration oil filter and relatively short OCIs. Example, 2 OCIs on a Fram Ultra or WIX XP or similar. IMO, not a good idea to disturb the filter, just leave it on the engine if using it for 2x OCIs.

Indeed!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

That's the shortest OCI I've ever seen on here.

Yes I left the K off 8K and 10K thanks for pointing it out.

I look at it this way. My 2010 Ranger 2.3 gets a NAPA Platinum 41348. I flush the filter "twice" in it's lifetime. I change the oil every 3K miles, but the filter only once in 9K miles. That's almost one year's worth of use, good enough for me with no worries as the filter is rated at 15K miles. Heck.....I just might go longer. Dare I say it......12K miles on the filter. Stay tuned.
crazy2.gif

I have run a Motorcraft FL-1A for 30,000 on (3) 10K oil changes, and it wasn't packed with sludge, or torn or anything. It looked like it had 5,000 miles on it. The engine was pretty clean when I swapped it in, maybe 30-40K since overhaul.

Skipping the flush routine and simply leaving the filter alone for the same overall distance would definitely be a lot easier, and very likely also a lot less risky overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back