O2 sensor will not break free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought both the split socket and offset ones and neither did the job as they spread open.

Splicing the wires back together is no big deal as some O2s are sold with no connectors. Just be sure to get a good corrosion free crimp or solder and use good insulation.

One last thought, Hold a chunk of dry ice on the sensor and hope some acetone/atf mix will soak in. Try loosening it when its cold. Dry ice is like -100 f., so it might contract enough that your solvent may creep in and you can get it loose.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I've bought both the split socket and offset ones and neither did the job as they spread open.

Just be sure to get a good corrosion free crimp or solder and use good insulation.

Never solder O2 sensor wires they breath through the wiring strands for ambient air reference.

Quote:
General Installation Tips

If you are replacing the O2 Sensor with a universal replacement sensor, you'll have to splice the factory connector plug onto the new sensor. Or if you've order a sensor kit which comes with connectors, you'll have to install the connectors which come with the kit onto the new sensor wires. DO NOT solder the connectors onto the wires. They must be crimped on for the O2 sensor to work correctly. For the sensor to work correctly, it must draw clean air down to the sensor through the air gaps in the stranded wire. If you solder the wires, the solder will fill the air gaps in the wire and the sensor will not work correctly.

Garage or torching it? Me,,,I take it to the garage, with the new sensor in hand, they may just do it, just a labor charge. I'd probably burn up everything in the area,LOL.

Ever heard of Mouse Milk? Once, I had to change all four O2 sensors on my old Yukon. Truck had like 135,000 miles on it. Not sure if any of them would have given me any trouble but I started by putting Mouse Milk on each sensor with a Q Tip while the pipe was warm, like I got under and did it as soon as I pulled in the driveway.
After a while, I got back under and broke all four sensors loose with a wrench and spun them out with my fingers once broken loose. I was amazed.

Yeah I'm afraid I'll round of the nut seeing as I can't fit the torch down into the area to put the flame onto the sensor.

To the mechanic it goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Ever heard of Mouse Milk? Once, I had to change all four O2 sensors on my old Yukon. Truck had like 135,000 miles on it. Not sure if any of them would have given me any trouble but I started by putting Mouse Milk on each sensor with a Q Tip while the pipe was warm, like I got under and did it as soon as I pulled in the driveway.
After a while, I got back under and broke all four sensors loose with a wrench and spun them out with my fingers once broken loose. I was amazed.

Mouse Milk is great but outside of a aviation supply house, you are not going to find that stuff on the shelf of any normal retail establishment.

Update: I got it! Pb blaster and a deep well six point socket got the job done. Thanks for the help guys! I know I can count yaw!

Slap the new sensor in and cleared the code. Runs like new.

Last edited:
I had one like that on my 98 K3500. One of the front sensors would not come out for anything. I tried the penetrating fluid, propane torch, impact 02 sensor socket, regular 02 sockets. I ended up having to take it to an exhaust shop and they got it out but had to weld in a new bung because it ruined the threads in the old one when they took it out. They had to remove the other pre-cat sensor as well but was able to get it out without ruining the bung.

Sorry to hear that sir. I was pretty afraid the mechanic was gonna go the same route with mine

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Update: I got it! Pb blaster and a deep well six point socket got the job done. Thanks for the help guys! I know I can count yaw!

Great work!

When installing new sensor do NOT use the anti seize that comes with the sensor (dk gray color). It does not hold up to the exhaust heat. Be sure and use copper anti seize or MOMS 'Milk of Magnesia' that's right...MOMS

Open a bottle and let the carrier liquid evaporate completely. You now have the best anti seize you can get and will easily withstand temps of 2500F+ degrees.

Originally Posted By: udidwht
When installing new sensor do NOT use the anti seize that comes with the sensor (dk gray color). It does not hold up to the exhaust heat. Be sure and use copper anti seize or MOMS 'Milk of Magnesia' that's right...MOMS

Open a bottle and let the carrier liquid evaporate completely. You now have the best anti seize you can get and will easily withstand temps of 2500F+ degrees.

Denso oxygen sensors come with a packet of what I presume is copper anti seize
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88

I have always sprayed them maybe 2 or three times across a couple days and they pop right out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back