Car battery Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get a bottle of sudsy ammonia and pour underneath battery to neutralize any acid that might have spilled. It will just sit there and eat away at the metal until it's thoroughly washed off with water or neutralized with ammonia..

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: georgemiller

My Corolla has the identical type of J bolt and clamp.

The fire was obviously caused by your installation error. It's clear from the picture that the rear transverse part of the battery clamp was touching the positive terminal and shorted it. Either you put that part of the clamp too close to the positive terminal or it got loose and touched it later. It's supposed to be put near the middle of the battery and be securely tight but not too tight to damage the battery.

I'm glad no harm was done.

Why are you ruining my celebration???? You're like a black cloud that just passed over my head.

Hold down clamp is about 3-4 inches away from battery terminal. Look at other pics. I'm sure AutoZone wouldn't have paid out if they didn't have past problems.

Hold-down clamp is about 3 - 4 inches away from battery terminal.

No, it's the part of the hold-down clamp that has an L-shaped cross section grabbing the edge of the battery. You're supposed to position it near the middle, away from the positive terminal. It was right underneath the positive terminal. The terminal cap doesn't insulate the bottom of the terminal and that naked bottom was sitting right on top of that grounded L-shaped metal, waiting for the disaster to happen.

No, it's the part of the hold-down clamp that has an L-shaped cross section grabbing the edge of the battery. You're supposed to position it near the middle, away from the positive terminal. It was right underneath the positive terminal. The terminal cap doesn't insulate the bottom of the terminal and that naked bottom was sitting right on top of that grounded L-shaped metal, waiting for the disaster to happen.

Looking at my Corolla, those L-shaped pieces are very short in my case. Therefore, there is no chance of them touching the terminals. Note that the battery in the picture is a Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F South.

I'm surprised that the L-shaped pieces are so long in your case. Do you have an aftermarket hold-down clamp? That could be your problem right there. In any case that L-shaped piece shouldn't be that close to the positive terminal let alone sit directly underneath it. Check it ASAP and correct it if necessary before the same disaster strikes again.

YdDZHbpx74iB2E9j-IM5POXlvGVnZWmMDtWMEbv1xX3zA0RgeC845_zD_5E9x8QUySoJnsV-ruLU82Sxdr2lJDIgAK16zWRPpJxCd9y0BZeDIRLU_r0_3gHwDb1frSx4kcc4_Mb1EcHUe1Ga5EBkLF_hXGtxCvBwObAmxVt6g9cnZVPWGGNhZeQA0HxpoMar759lZUsq8G9rqTbIfqedJCe4ayrobSpJX9M4ct0pRDc-5-zajEGHoDDfi-xYDr3u6aMUkwhAu5I0mmJ3y1ppYZHzCr26a2ckLt9Vv0Acnfplkni-dpXTpVyDWTOrh1Z23REDZ-AbNAZFr1k7Vqr7DZ8GyTrcy6Tj5uDODqCJtCSLiseeQyH-OZH-kWi7pHhnhLXc5xC8aUUf8MJp7myIWKnQp7RWtdF56yJI5q4cn1Qc7vX2RXCGpKBPbermAQ4XZ0VKqxfK2g9xr3__4UvHT1zW-0h2xbmmUEdBP31C3QcTLFnDmRRCA9Jw0GRadq5XK-g3TNGzjH1cjNhpWYcpnpPdbA4X4WdD5FyDBv3CEuTMMqWpwTRyKbw51o8Xs0RuYV1grLdFEzyoynD7KJvpyXcZ7wPV2PVYHTh_c5qQvmq41a-Pwt_dgfKfjQ=w1024-h768-no

If it would have been the steel bracket against he pos post then it would have blown out some of the steel when it shorted.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You had best read the rest of the thread.

I have. You had best look at the OP's picture.
wink.gif

Did you see that the metal L-shaped piece was positioned immediately beneath the naked bottom of the positive terminal? That's a no - no.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If it would have been the steel bracket against he pos post then it would have blown out some of the steel when it shorted.

From the picture it appears that the outer end of the L-shaped bracket melted away, as it's no longer 90-degree. It could be where it contacted the positive terminal.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You had best read the rest of the thread.

I have. You had best look at the OP's picture.
wink.gif

Did you see that the metal L-shaped piece was positioned immediately beneath the naked bottom of the positive terminal? That's a no - no.

Apparently you need to read better:
The battery hold down was bent by the guys that put out the fire I think they wanted to remove the whole battery.

The holder was not the cause of the problem, it happened after the fact.

Hey Gokhan, I'm impressed that you keep driving that Corolla. And you put expensive oil in it too.

Looking at my Corolla, those L-shaped pieces are very short in my case. Therefore, there is no chance of them touching the terminals. Note that the battery in the picture is a Walmart EverStart Maxx 24F South.

I'm surprised that the L-shaped pieces are so long in your case. Do you have an aftermarket hold-down clamp? That could be your problem right there. In any case that L-shaped piece shouldn't be that close to the positive terminal let alone sit directly underneath it. Check it ASAP and correct it if necessary before the same disaster strikes again.

YdDZHbpx74iB2E9j-IM5POXlvGVnZWmMDtWMEbv1xX3zA0RgeC845_zD_5E9x8QUySoJnsV-ruLU82Sxdr2lJDIgAK16zWRPpJxCd9y0BZeDIRLU_r0_3gHwDb1frSx4kcc4_Mb1EcHUe1Ga5EBkLF_hXGtxCvBwObAmxVt6g9cnZVPWGGNhZeQA0HxpoMar759lZUsq8G9rqTbIfqedJCe4ayrobSpJX9M4ct0pRDc-5-zajEGHoDDfi-xYDr3u6aMUkwhAu5I0mmJ3y1ppYZHzCr26a2ckLt9Vv0Acnfplkni-dpXTpVyDWTOrh1Z23REDZ-AbNAZFr1k7Vqr7DZ8GyTrcy6Tj5uDODqCJtCSLiseeQyH-OZH-kWi7pHhnhLXc5xC8aUUf8MJp7myIWKnQp7RWtdF56yJI5q4cn1Qc7vX2RXCGpKBPbermAQ4XZ0VKqxfK2g9xr3__4UvHT1zW-0h2xbmmUEdBP31C3QcTLFnDmRRCA9Jw0GRadq5XK-g3TNGzjH1cjNhpWYcpnpPdbA4X4WdD5FyDBv3CEuTMMqWpwTRyKbw51o8Xs0RuYV1grLdFEzyoynD7KJvpyXcZ7wPV2PVYHTh_c5qQvmq41a-Pwt_dgfKfjQ=w1024-h768-no

That engine is so dirty it makes me itch. If that car were mine, I would never open the hood with anyone around.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The holder was not the cause of the problem, it happened after the fact.

I wasn't referring to the bend. I was referring to the seemingly burnt outer edge of the bracket. It's also not clear to me whether the bracket was moved. As I mentioned that bracket looks dangerously long and it doesn't seem to be an OEM clamp. Compare its design and workmanship to my OEM clamp.

That was explained as to why it was that way, plus the internal problem was what caused the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back