Volvo Sees End to Int. Combustion Engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Volvo is irrelevant, they just want to make some noise so that maybe someone will start paying some attention to them.

This.

Seems like a strategy to meet FE targets. And what's with the irrational hate towards Volvo though? "Irrelevant"? Are they the first to use news releases as PR? I don't get these brand elitists. I have to laugh at the original 'irrelevant' commenter though, one of his cars uses a Volvo-designed subframe. Brilliant.

They didn't really sell a hybrid for $15k though? How much of the total negotiated price came from state or federal programs?

That demo. is sure to plummet when the Model 3 is released as is the likelihood that they own more than one car.

Hang on now - many of us love egg rolls
wink.gif

It's all about the Chinese market. The Chinese state policy is to invest in renewables after they were embarrassed at the Beijing Olympics. They've also realized that the dirty air may produce cheap products but causes long term health damage which is then paid by their universal healthcare system.

I'm sure for the US market they will provide whatever the Americans want, and for the Euro market they will sell whatever these countries like.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
BITOG does not like Chinese *anything*; Volvo is no exception to that rule.

China only cares about making cheap products. Quality, safety and environmental concerns are things they laugh at.

Just google "Lumber Liquidators agrees to not resume sales of inventory of Chinese-made laminate flooring" as one of hundreds of examples.

Why would you spend "volvo money" for a volvo built in china (VIN "L") or Indonesia ("VIN "M") with chinese steel and components?

The same factory making foam seat cushions and carpeting for Volvo may have been making laminate flooring before that.

A year ago is outdated? And China wants us to believe they have changed their ways?

JUNE 17, 2016
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has announced that Lumber Liquidators has agreed to not resume sales of laminate wood flooring imported from China that may feature high formaldehyde levels.

The company also agreed to continue conducting a comprehensive testing program as part of a recall program that affects consumers who purchased Chinese-made laminate flooring. In homes where the affected flooring is found to emit elevated levels of formaldehyde, the company will provide any required remediation.

No, you are taking the example of Lumber Liquidators, who should have known how their product is manufactured (the US companies are the ones that give the specs to the manufacturer), and use that to describe China.

It's like someone takes Lumber Liquidators problem and uses it to describe the US as a country comprised of crooked companies that sell unsafe products to people for years and pay a small amount when they get caught.

I don't think Mattel specified that China use lead-based paints on their toys back in 2007 but that's what they gave us.

The US was an environmental mess in the 60's; about the way China is now.

I grew up in Indiana and our town was on the Wabash River. Largest employers in town were a lead-acid battery manufacturer and a steel mill. The Wabash was so polluted that if you put a metal bar in the water, it would dissolve overnight. Swimming was banned. The city decided to build a public swimming pool instead of asking the companies to stop polluting the river. It was a national problem.
We learned our lesson the hard way. Maybe China will change also. It will take a lot to convince me that they are responsible manufacturers.

mmm, volvo is owned by a Chinese company. but I thought their manufacturing was still in Europe, not moved to China?

Last edited:
Their cars are made in Belgium, Sweden, and more recently in China and Indonesia.

I spent a few months looking at cars before buying my MKS. Volvo was very high on the list. Just as you check the date on milk to make sure it is safe to buy, I was checking VIN's on S60's.

I just looked at 2016 and 2017 S60's and found VIN's for Europe and China. All of the Inscriptions are Chinese. I believe all S90's are built in China.

Something interesting I noticed in my search. Most of the time, the carfax says "car imported from Belgium 3/15/2016" or whatever date. For the Chinese cars, the carfax says "car imported 3/15/2016".

As much as Volvo wants to hide where it was manufactured, if the VIN begins with "L" it was made in China. "Y" means Europe, either Sweden or Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back