Oil Filters in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Purolator used to be a good company but there are lots of examples here of media tearing. Not what you want. Fram is decent. Wix, Mann, and a few others are also good choices

Originally Posted By: AITG
Add Motorcraft for Ford products.

not so fast there, those Mann filters, if made in the usa, ARE purolators. they come off the same lines.
same for motorcraft. several examples of them tearing.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
.....Need good filtration for a 1987 Honda Crx Si with almost 200 miles.....

Wow, 200 miles on an 87 crx, that's not even broken in. (j/k
55.gif
)

Depending on your oci/fci and what you want to spend, many options.

Fram Ultra a good choice especially if your doing extended ocis, 10k+ miles. To get ROI, that's it sweet spot imo.

Wix/Napa Gold a good choice for ~7500 mi ocis. The latter can be obtained at many Napas for
Really though whatever the choice, changing your oil and filter on a regular basis will get you to your goal.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
.....Need good filtration for a 1987 Honda Crx Si with almost 200 miles.....

Wow, 200 miles on an 87 crx, that's not even broken in. (j/k
55.gif
)

Depending on your oci/fci and what you want to spend, many options.

Fram Ultra a good choice especially if your doing extended ocis, 10k+ miles. To get ROI, that's it sweet spot imo.

Wix/Napa Gold a good choice for ~7500 mi ocis. The latter can be obtained at many Napas for
Really though whatever the choice, changing your oil and filter on a regular basis will get you to your goal.

It's a typo, it was supposed to be 200k. The Fram Ultra isn't available for my app.

..It's a typo.....

And thus the (j/k) ie., just kidding.
55.gif

As for FU not available, I see that now. Looks like being an older Honda application, not volume enough to support production of FU. Thought maybe 3593A might work but it too has different dimensions and threading.

Go with the Wix/NG 5/1392, still a solid choice imo.

I did find this on the wix filter on the o'reilly website:

Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 18 grams dirt (WIX 51515), 99% efficient at 23 microns (Based on WIX 51515, WIX 51356, WIX 57060)

Any thoughts on the filter media:
Fram Tough Guard is Synthetic-Blend filter media technology
Standard Wix is Enhanced Cellulose

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Which filter is earmarked as the Standard Wix these days? There are three different levels. Is the Standard one a typical silicone ADBV Wix, found for around $6.50 in stores?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Which filter is earmarked as the Standard Wix these days? There are three different levels. Is the Standard one a typical silicone ADBV Wix, found for around $6.50 in stores?

I had no idea there was three levels, I thought there was just two, standard and xp. I'm just going based on the part number posted above, I have a wix on my car now and it's the regular white one.

Last edited:
Another question, are we still seeing torn filter media on purolator filters? Here's a relatively new YouTube video showing if good filters. I wonder if they fixed the problem.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I had no idea there was three levels, I thought there was just two, standard and xp. I'm just going based on the part number posted above, I have a wix on my car now and it's the regular white one.

Yes, they have 3 Wix branded filters, Pro-Tec, Wix, Wix XP.

Another question, are we still seeing torn filter media on purolator filters? Here's a relatively new YouTube video showing if good filters. I wonder if they fixed the problem.

Nope.
Puro made Pennzoil brand filter (Manufacture date of August 2016).

full-4879-7368-11.jpg

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

Full thread

Unused filters look fine, it is not till after use that the failure happens.
Even in the video on the one regular red can Purolator (and the Pure 1 as well to an extent) you can see the wide pleat spacing by the seam, which is the place they always tear.
The Boss does not have issues with tearing due to the wire backing, but I know some have complained about other things on them (poor louvers?, not really sure). Never paid attention to them since Purolator does not care that their lower tier filters have had issues for around 5 years and still have not done anything about it. Plus an Ultra is a proven product for around the same price or less.

Just throwing my recent experience in the pot...

The Wix/Napa Gold's have been redesigned for some part numbers. Currently waiting on a callback from the local Wix rep to discuss some engine damage due to flawed redesign on the 1311's. A couple others I have compared have not had the issue though, but my fleet runs the 1311's so I'm done with Wix for now (I hate doing in-car bearing replacements).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back