Butter...Imported???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
Real butter is made here, real cows eating real grass.
that really makes a huge difference in flavor and is healthier.

I used to laugh at the ex girlfriend's choice of butter. It was 'Challenge Butter' and I called it 'Fear factor butter' and made Joe Rogan impressions while annoying her. Now I use that butter and it seems okay.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Probably the reason why imported butter tastes better or at least different is in the US butter has a "Standard of Identity" so that in order to legally call it butter you have to meet certain standards. Without researching it too much my educated guess is that imported butter doesn't have to meet the same standard and therefore can play with the formula/process and therefore why it's better or at least different. If you buy local made butter I'm thinking its either legally not butter or the process they use to make it is not profitable on a commercial scale (Land O Lakes for example).

Typically though, the US followed by Canada has pretty low food quality standards compared to Europe. We allow lots of chemicals and medications in food that the EU bans.

I'm not sure if it's the chemicals/meds as much as it is poor quality feed and lack of exercise which affects the end product.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I used to laugh at the ex girlfriend's choice of butter. It was 'Challenge Butter' and I called it 'Fear factor butter' and made Joe Rogan impressions while annoying her. Now I use that butter and it seems okay.

I have seen the Challenge Butter in the store...comes from California, I think. Will probably give it a try someday, but for now I'm enjoying the French & Irish butter so much I don't know when I'll get around to it.

challenge butter is by no means special. It's just a regular butter brand here. it's probably just below if you just buy a block of kerrygold irish butter for $4.
it's not nearly in the same artisanal offering that like some amish community hand milks their cows and hand churns and sells for $15 a lb for or something like that.

Overall though, I bet if you're not a butter expert, your taste buds are just respond to the salt. Whatever brand is "saltier" will taste better to you.

Just on the news today: The glut of European butter is gone. There's a shortage in France and other countries. The price for butter has doubled (before packaging).

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Just on the news today: The glut of European butter is gone. There's a shortage in France and other countries. The price for butter has doubled (before packaging).

We'll see. While I was in WalMart yesterday I checked what was in the butter case. I could've bought 2 pkgs of KerryGold for $6, whereas the price at Kroger for 1 pkg is $4.99. Too bad I didn't need any. I've probably got enough already for 2 months at least. Can't wait for the sweet corn to come in.

I got a bar of the Kerrygold butter recently. Can't wait to try it out. For all of the hype, it better lead me to a pot of gold.

I had been buying Central Market European Style butter in my local HEB supermarkets.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/centr...equestid=754775

Until I found Vital Farms Alfresco butter in my local Sam's Clubs

https://vitalfarms.com/our-alfresco-grass-fed-butter/

Definite darker yellow color and richer flavor, and a local Texas product.

When traveling in the Caribbean on scuba trips, seems like Anchor brand butter from New Zealand is common in Commonwealth and former Commonwealth islands. Top-notch stuff IMO.

http://anchorbutter.com/product/anchor-salted-butter

Anchor is still a big name here, it was all we had when I was a kid. Dairy is our biggest export, dairy farming is big here. But we operate on a free market now, and we actually pay more for our milk here than they do for the same milk sold in Australia. Hard to understand how the country that supplies all these milk products charges so much for them in it's local market.

It was reported a couple of weeks ago that imported French butter was cheaper than our own in the supermarkets.

There used to be a surplus of butter in Europe, especially in France. So it made sense to sell at any price in stead of destroying. But the glut seems finished and prices have risen for bulk butter. I'd expect the situation to change...

Originally Posted By: Kira

A glut of Yugoslavian wine can go away.

Yugoslavia doesn't exsist anymore...since 1995
laugh.gif

So whose wine? Slovenian? Macedonian?....

And btw... On 25.june we are celebrating statehood day... We are celebrating our indenpendency from Yugoslavia (1991) :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
There used to be a surplus of butter in Europe, especially in France. So it made sense to sell at any price in stead of destroying. But the glut seems finished and prices have risen for bulk butter. I'd expect the situation to change...

I'm guessing Europe doesn't have dairy surplus programs like the USA for things like cheese & butter.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Anchor is still a big name here, it was all we had when I was a kid. Dairy is our biggest export, dairy farming is big here. But we operate on a free market now, and we actually pay more for our milk here than they do for the same milk sold in Australia. Hard to understand how the country that supplies all these milk products charges so much for them in it's local market.

What are your prices ?

I'm interested...can't call what we get here chaep, but we are doing the same for Natural Gas...wholesale has increased 3 fold in 4 years to export it at fixed contract price based in 5 year old dollars.

Currently Anchor is $4.40 for a 2 litre, and Homebrand which I buy because it's the same milk is $3.37. So $1.69 to $2.20 a litre. Butter is around $5.00 a kilo, that's what I paid on sunday.

A couple of years ago when milk solids hit rock bottom and farmers were getting such a low payout they were walking out of farms or taking out more loans...although there was a Government top up. The CEO of Fontera was on a 7 figure salary and getting bonuses, and profits were up...and we were paying more for milk than the same milk we were selling to Australia. No one was happy, but I don't think management ever considers that, not when you earn more a week than I do a year.

All good...we wandered into Countdown a lot while we were over there.

Typically we found you had better prices for most of what would be our grocery bill (meat, veges and fruit). Could have been confirmational bias on our part 'though.

But the quality of your stuff is really really good.

We had Woolworths for many years, many decades, but all stores owned by that company are now Countdown...the supermarket in town is a Countdown. Used for top up shopping, we used a no frills supermarket in the nearest city which is cheaper. We get fruit and veges from a fruit and vege shop.

I don't think there is much difference in what we can buy on either side of the Tasman these days, the Global Economy balances things out. When we were in Melbourne 35 years ago, we had to go to very rare health food shops to find stuff available in our supermarkets, and things we got from health food shops which were in every suburb here, were just not to be found in Aust. Fruit and vege looked better than here, but I guess were irrigated crops, we still just grow outside in the ground, sun and water supplied by nature,smaller but better tasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back