Jeep/FCA tire rotation TPMS reprogramming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I am planning to take my Jeep to Discount Tire for a rotation. The DIC tells me the tire pressure at each location, so obviously the vehicle needs to know which sensor is at which wheel location. My GMs had a DIY relearn procedure in the manual, I don't see that in my Jeep manual.

Will DT reprogram the sensors?

Is there a way to do a relearn procedure without any special tools?

Its automatic. The system will learn the new locations of the sensors after abit of driving.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Its automatic. The system will learn the new locations of the sensors after abit of driving.
I have never heard of anything like that.

Just ask DT to reprogram the TPMS. All shops have the tool.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Rand is correct, the Jeep Grand Cherokee's TPMS will re-learn after driving a bit. There isn't anything to reprogram after a tire rotation.

You guys are right, I went and reread the manual and sure enough it learns the new tire positions automagically. Pretty cool!

uUyCZOx.png

Yep. Sensors are by the wheelwells. When I rotate the spare it swaps it in.

Does anybody know the "specifics" of the reset tool?

When I need to buy replacement TPMS sensors for my Volvo V70, do I use this tool to enable my car to read them?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't what is featured on the vehicle. Rand is 100% correct on this.

Here's the official procedure:

Inflate all tires to correct pressure specification as indicated on the Vehicle Tire Placard.
Park vehicle with the ignition switch set to the off position for 20 minutes.

Drive the vehicle faster than 20 mph for up to 20 minutes. The sensor locations and ID numbers will be automatically registered during drive cycle.

*Alternate Procedure: Perform the TPM sensor initialization procedure using a scan tool. This will turn off the instrument panel TPMS indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back