How often do you change your Frantz paper roll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd ask you guys how many miles your getting out of a roll of toilet paper in your Frantz filter before it's full? I'm asking because I've been hearing anywhere from 1000 to 5000 miles. I've been running my unit for 12000 miles and am averaging 3000 miles before the unit is full. Mine is installed on a 2009 Ford 6.4 ltr so soot is a big problem for me. The gas guys are probably able to get far more mileage out of there's before it's a problem. Anyway I'd be interested to hear what your experiences are and what engines they are installed on.

I would send in a sample just before a scheduled toilet paper change. Based on the results I'd adjust the interval as needed.

The last time I used one it was conventional oil, 20w-50 dyno oil in a 1979 Scirocco. I'd change the full flow filter and oil at 5K and the toilet paper at 25K.

After reviewing results of a couple of UOA's I started changing the oil at 7.5K, the full flow filter every other oil change and the toilet paper only when the can felt a little bit cooler than normal after the engine was at operating temperature.

I had a chance to peek into the engine when the head gasket leaked at somewhere around 70-80K (a common problem) and I did a valve job and replaced the pan gasket to look in the pan. It looked like brand new inside. There was a vary, vary light shading of varnish that could not be wiped off, but not a hint of sludge. The camshaft also looked like new.

I just installed an Ed Greany Frantz oil refiner on my daughters 2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 v6 last Summer at 192K. Changed the toilet paper out at 8K using Mobil1 0-40, and then did a complete oil change with new full flow filter, oil, and new toilet paper roll at 12K.
I just installed a spin on oil filter and mount on the transmission 2 weeks ago at 208K, having done a full trans fluid exchange and added a trans cooler at 193K.

I change the TP filters on my Frantz units between 5,000-6,000 miles on vehicles, and twice a year on construction equipment. I change the spin on filters I have mounted for power steering and transmission fluid around 10,000 miles. On the spin on units I use 3/4-16 thread size filters and currently have installed: Fram Ultras, several old style Purolator Synthetic filters and AC Delco and Wix filters (whatever I find on sale).

exShuttlemech,

I've done business with Ed Greany as well. Good guy, always available to answer questions and give install advise and help out with any needed parts and gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back