Aluminum filter bases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy the solid aluminum ones unless your never going to run a filter with aluminum threads in it. I put a cat filter on one and it galled. A filter wrench won't turn it. I'm going to have to cut it off

Ran many filters on and off farm equipment without issues except for one tranny filter on a IH and it came with the issue. Always lubed the threads.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Don't buy the solid aluminum ones unless your never going to run a filter with aluminum threads in it.

I run Fleetguard, Baldwin or Wix/Napa, and these filter all have steel baseplates.

Never a problem, ever on any "aluminum threaded spigot" filter bases.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Don't buy the solid aluminum ones unless your never going to run a filter with aluminum threads in it. I put a cat filter on one and it galled. A filter wrench won't turn it. I'm going to have to cut it off
I'm a little confused-did the filter have steel threads & the filter base aluminum ones? Or were they both aluminum? I can't remember seeing a filter with aluminum threads before, and what were you filtering? Coolant, or fuel/oil/ATF?

They both have aluminum threads. It was a generic base, but any all aluminum base is prone to this. If the threaded boss is a steel insert it's ok. The filter was a cat 0750.
I ordered a new base with the threads in steel as I want to run the Catapiller 2 micron filters.

I've never seen a filter purchase that had an aluminum adaptor, nor I have ever seen an oil filter that uses an aluminum mounting base. Is that common on trucks and farm equipment?
confused.gif

It's add on parts. A remote filter base to add a filter. The filters, I don't know. Just the Catapiller I know of.

Good: WIX Filters - 24770 Heavy Duty Filter Mounting Base.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/1%2520brochures/form452.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj-i5XL6cLUAhUI2D4KHcCECnwQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNGz0MJ1LXMMcsEgbSD0S7eMyZvbbg

Were both threads compatible? I have never seen this happen on something like this. All I can think of is that the thread size/pitch were not a 100% match.

I have been changing filters on my aluminum block trailblazer for years and it looks like the base is aluminum and the filter head is steel. I mean it has always been lubed with engine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back