Recall alert: Ruger Mark IV pistols; 100% recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php?r=y

Quote:
Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.

For all of my brethren here and for those who know people who have this model of pistol.

Very similar to one of the reasons why Taurus recalled the Millennium PRO pistols.

Hopefully Ruger will handle things better for their customers.

Not a pistol but the Remington 700 is perhaps one of the most known guns in history for trigger safety issues.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Not a pistol but the Remington 700 is perhaps one of the most known guns in history for trigger safety issues.

Timney makes a trigger/safety combo that fixes the problem. I'd imagine Ruger will handle the recall fairly well.

Not the first or last pistol to have the issue.

I had to send my Beretta NEOs in for a similar recall on the safety. And of course I have an old Ruger P85 that was fixed by the recall on the safety back in the 80's, hence it has a MKII stamp on the levers.

And in spite of all the recalls, they never really "fixed" the problem. I have a Remington XP-100 "pistol" from the early 80's that was recalled, however I never bothered sending it in. The 700 is still being recalled for both Walker and X-Mark Pro Trigger issues they can't seem to eliminate. I will say in 30+ years, I've never been able to make any of my 5, Remington 700 actions unintentionally discharge.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I've never been able to make any of my 5, Remington 700 actions unintentionally discharge.

Same here, but, probably like you, I keep the booger hook off the bang button until I'm on target, too.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460

And in spite of all the recalls, they never really "fixed" the problem. I have a Remington XP-100 "pistol" from the early 80's that was recalled, however I never bothered sending it in. The 700 is still being recalled for both Walker and X-Mark Pro Trigger issues they can't seem to eliminate. I will say in 30+ years, I've never been able to make any of my 5, Remington 700 actions unintentionally discharge.

I have 3 model 700's and have had 2 of them go off on me in the deer stand when I flipped the safety off... All are in great shape and I keep them clean. After the second one did it I replaced the triggers in all 3 with Timneys that have been designed to fix the problem.

'In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions'

^ My 2013 Ruger 9mm LC9 mentions this in the owners manual ^. 'Pulling the trigger with the safety in an intermediate position other than full on or full off, may cause the pistol to fire. Unless the red oval is fully covered by the safety lever, the safety is NOT on'. Ruger might have a potential problem with more models than just the mark IV.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
'In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions'

^ My 2013 Ruger 9mm LC9 mentions this in the owners manual ^. 'Pulling the trigger with the safety in an intermediate position other than full on or full off, may cause the pistol to fire. Unless the red oval is fully covered by the safety lever, the safety is NOT on'. Ruger might have a potential problem with more models than just the mark IV.

At some point people have to stop thinking like lawyers in theoretical La La Land, and place these type of things into the category of common sense. Safeties are meant to be either FULLY engaged, or else FULLY disengaged. They are not meant to be placed into the, "halfway position" any more than a light switch is. (And yes I tried my light switches, and I can get them to remain "halfway" on or off if I try hard enough).

I spent a good amount of time playing with the safety on my new Ruger Mark IV. It operates just like it was designed to. As a result I'm not sending in my Ruger Mark IV. While I can understand in today's day and age, why Ruger is recalling these guns, because of possible legal action at some point down the road if they don't, I'm not seeing any danger here, real or imagined. I don't doubt if you fiddle with the thing long enough, and assuming you do it when all the planets are properly aligned, it might cause some type of malfunction.... Maybe. Just as if you try hard enough, you can manage to cause most any mechanical device to malfunction. The current legal climate in this country has been responsible for many of these firearm recalls, to go what basically amounts to off the rails. The bottom line is the people running the thing need to be held accountable.

'The current legal climate in this country has been responsible for many of these firearm recalls, to go what basically amounts to off the rails. The bottom line is the people running the thing need to be held accountable'.

^ Exactly ^ ...the lawyers got involved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back