Clay bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to clay our Liberty tomorrow, I hope. I ran out of quick detailer, and read mixed reviews about mixing car soap with water and spraying it from a Windex bottle as a lube. Will it be OK or should I bounce for some quick detailer for a clay bar lube?

TIA

Should be fine. I dilute Optimum No rinse wash soap and use that as my lube. What year Liberty you have?

I don't see why the watered down car soap can't work. Never used it myself but as long as the soap is slick it should work. It does fairly well lubricating the car when you wash. Maybe try a few samples in a cup to find out which mix works best for you.

I've used a clay bar for about 10 years and I quit using the detailer. I just wash the car real good to remove all the dust and dirt and the rewash the car with the clay bar.

I used car soap mixed with warm water from the sink in a Windex bottle last week to detail a family member's Avalon. Just remember, the soap goes a REALLY long way so don't use too much. It worked at least as good as the spray detailed I've used before.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Should be fine. I dilute Optimum No rinse wash soap and use that as my lube. What year Liberty you have?

It's an 08, and it was garaged up until about 18 months ago. The paint is in great shape but it needs a good clay job and detailing after the winter.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I used car soap mixed with warm water from the sink in a Windex bottle last week to detail a family member's Avalon. Just remember, the soap goes a REALLY long way so don't use too much. It worked at least as good as the spray detailed I've used before.

Nice!

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That looks fierce! Great job.

Soapy water worked like a charm. I got up early, a cloudy cool day, perfect for detailing a car in my book. I'm done, thanks for the replies.

Knowing that the purpose of clay is to prepare for polish/wax it shouldn't matter what you use as long as you use enough of it to get good lubricity and then get your LSP/protection on the car after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back